Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

Default Dr Who

Sad new indeed for Dr who fans.

David Tennant has just officially announced he will quit as the tenth Doctor Who towards the end of next year after doing 4 more special shows. He really has made himself into one of the greatest doctors in the 45 year old show and the last episode of the last series was watched by 10 million viewers in the UK.

So any gossip on who will be the new Doctor and can they ever really replace Tennant? (mind you I asked the same question after Pertwee left and they replaced him with the great Tom Baker)

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Arvon
Unicorn

Default Re: Dr Who

Didn't he play first base? You know, "Who's on first"

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

Happy Re: Dr Who

The very good news is the man they have chosen to be the head writer for the new show is steven moffat who won a BAFTA for best screenplay for writing the dr who episode Blink (from series three) - which featured terrifying weeping angels - if you saw that show you will remember that it was a truly, genuinely scary episode.

from the BBC ...
Scriptwriter Steven Moffat has denied he "quit" a deal to work on Steven Spielberg's (and peter Jacksons) forthcoming Tintin trilogy so he could oversee TV's Doctor Who.

A newspaper report that he had "turned down" a two-film deal with Spielberg was "a bit misleading", Moffat said.

He had planned to finish Tintin before starting Doctor Who but was delayed by the US writers' strike, he said.

In May it was announced he would replace Russell T Davies as lead writer and executive producer on Doctor Who.

Mr Moffat told the BBC that "nothing less than Doctor Who could have torn me away" from Tintin, which he described as a "stunning project" he was "proud" to be part of.

But it was "the proper duty of every British subject to come to the aid of the Tardis", he added.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

DRAT I really liked him a lot! Please keep us (across the big drink) informed if you hear something about his replacement.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 AM   #5
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

...I'm catching up on the latest series at the moment, in the middle of season three and counting...David Tennant is really good in the role, though I liked Christopher Eccleston quite a bit, too...really, so long as the new actor can measure up to these guys, then I can't imagine being upset a bit!

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:58 AM   #6
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion

I'm excited about Stephen Moffat. "Blink" was an awesome episode. He also wrote the 2-part episode "Silence in the Library--Forest of the Dead" last season, and "Girl in the Fireplace" from season 2.

I like how he tries to explore how a time traveler's life occurs in a very non-linear way.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

..never could get into it; although I tried.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
..never could get into it; although I tried.
Have you tried the new series from 2005 onwards? absolutely riveting - part funny, part scary, clever dialogue and refreshingly new sci fi ideas together with old favorite themes and monsters, topped off with award winning acting that is always captivating.

I find it very hard to watch the old shows however, time (ironically) has not been kind to them, unlike say Star Trek which has aged very well IMO.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #9
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
I'm excited about Stephen Moffat. "Blink" was an awesome episode. He also wrote the 2-part episode "Silence in the Library--Forest of the Dead" last season, and "Girl in the Fireplace" from season 2.

I like how he tries to explore how a time traveler's life occurs in a very non-linear way.
I'm glad you liked blink as well, my daughter was scared stiff watching that one!

Silence / forest was a very clever, quite cerebral almost, and left a very strong impression on me.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:29 AM   #10
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion

My wife will sometimes watch Dr. Who with me, but she's not a regular viewer. After I watched Blink, I saved it to show her. I made sure to have her watch it on a night when I was home, which she thanked me for, because it scared her pretty good.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote