Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Friday I was at a famous hotdog/icecream place on campus and a white guy walks in to inquire about a job. He asked for the manager, who then presented himself, and the applicant began talking to him over the counter where we all could hear. He mentioned briefly that he could work the hours requested, but then his first question that came out in the same breath as his availability was "are my dreads a problem?"

See...those with Dreadlocks are considered "dirty" because supposedly in the past, you could not wash dreads because that would ruin them. Today however, I hear that people have been forced to find a way to "clean" their dreads to be allowed to do many things in society. I do not know what these cleaning steps are, or if they are effective, but today's society still does not accept people with dreadlocks as clean individuals, and does not trust them in respectable positions within the society.

First of all, why would anyone "want" to style their hair in a way that makes them less likely to find a job or walk around without being scoffed at? I mean, the guy is "white". Its not his culture to have dreads.

Second, are dreads "cleaner" today than they have been known to be in the past? What are these cleaning steps that ensures clean hair without ruining the muck that makes up the dreads?

Third, do you think that guy got the job at the resturant? Why or why not? I'll tell you the rest of the story soon.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

I don't care. How's that for an answer

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

1. Cuz being cool can sometimes hurt but it don't matter what it costs if you achieve the image you want. Look at the Goth-types. Good lord, who'd wanna apply all that makeup daily? They have more on than most women.

As for it (dreadlocks) being a black thing, it isn't really anymore. You see a fair amount of white people with them now. But I agree, for some reason my immediate impression when I see it on a white person is "dirty" or even "stoner". Not sure why I have that association but I do...

2. I hear they are but amn't sure how much. Apparently you can "bathe" them...

3. I don't think he got it. Why? I don't know.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Skin color, religion, and/or culture can have little or nothing do to with why people would do dreads. Dreads are a CLEAN, low-maintence, and natural way to grow hair. You can wash them all you want. Some places even sell special shampoo to help the dreading process.

A common fault is not with those who grow dreads and the myriad reasons why those indivduals might choose so. The fault is with the people who pre-judge them based on their appearance. We all are capable of this and we all do it. How we deal with this trait is what gives us some 'character" or lack there of.

I am happy and proud to work for a retailer who doesn't judge by appearance. On my staff there are several dreads, of both genders and different skin colors

So I hope the guy got the job There are special hair-nets and hats for even the bulkiest dreads, so sanitation should not be a concern for a thoughtful restaraunt employer.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=34;t=000238

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

I thought I felt a bit of De Ja Vou on this topic, lol.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

..could always get the big mofo hair net!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
It's part of being young and rebellious i suppose. Same as a mohawk, why anyone would want to walk around looking like a rooster on acid is beyond me. You simply know that you're not going to find a job looking like that, it's sometimes hard enough to get one if you do show up with a "conventional" look, let alone looking like a piece of crap.

It's true about those dreads though, i had a collleage once, a black dude with dreads all the way down to his lower back, and i refused to sit next to him during lunch, because he stank like an otter. They claim it's part of their culture, i say they are just unwashed lazy bums, who would rather spent their last penny on weed instead of shampoo.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #9
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I have a friend who has dreadlocks and although, yes, there are cleaning products for it, it just makes them smell worse and does not really help at all.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

My thoughts?

You've made a hell of a lot of assumptions, and you are walking towards the fine line of racism.

that's what I think.