Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Listening to Clark Howard today on the radio, he mentioned a new danger to us that stems from an agreement with banks and telemarketers. See, there was a new law passed that said that if you put your name on the Do-Not-Call registry, they could be fined for contacting you. However, this registry does not stop businesses who you are currently dealing with or have recently dealt with as a client. Since you are a member of a bank, your bank is allowed to solicit you as well as anyone that is working directly with that bank as a partner. This is where you get abused. A bank can (and will) accept a bribe from a telemarketing firm to obtain records of all their clients, and then the bank turns and looks the other way while their new "partners" call to solicit you...but that is not as easy to deal with as you might imagine. There is a trick involved. A new law was passed that said that telemarkers must be able to provide a recorded "yes" from you stating that you want a product. So they will call you and let you know that they are calling you because you bank with so and so, and our records show that you live at so and so address, is this right? "YES".

From there on, it does not matter if you say no to the actual offer to take their product, because a sneaky company that has gone this far just to get your name and call you because of a loophole in the law now has your "yes" on digital recording and can edit the conversation anyway they choose. You will not know that you agreed to anything until you get your next bank statement and from your bank statement, you might see a strange fee that you've never seen before, but since its from your bank and is only a couple dollars for some kind of "member fee", you may ignore it.

In other words, the telemarketers are making money off of bank clients through their accounts, and you never get a "bill" that you might dispute because it is hidden in your bank statements that some people never read anyway.

This is not speculation. This has already been happening, and people are starting to try to make the public aware of it.

Therefore, if you bank with a bank and not a credit union, please read your statements carefully and do not be shy to call your bank and ask them to explain charges that you do not recognize.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:06 AM   #2
Zerrato
Elite Waterdeep Guard

wow, that's insane! I can officially say that every time I get a call from my bank, before I ever say yes, I'm gonna politely inform them that I'm recording the conversation. heh, that'll make 'em think! Cause I'm paranoid like that
Old 12-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Captain Obvious
Elminster

Penguin Bashing Champion Simon Champion Snakeman Champion
I hate banks. All banks.

this seems pretty low even for them though. As an accountant i spend a bit of time looking at bank statements, and some of the charges are SHOCKING! once, i got a clients statements and in the middle of the year were three full pages of bank charges! they were only 50 cents each, but it still added up to like $40.

God, i hate banks as much as the IRD! (IRS for you Americans)
Old 12-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I think it's time to switch back to bartering.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

Conspiracy-Larry is back!

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:30 AM   #6
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

I dont have a US Bank
now whos gonna stab me in my back? :/
Old 12-06-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I like your signature, Rikard! "Working Iron since July 2000". You're getting back to our position of being the Ancients of IW. Good job bringing that back!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

rikard is the name being elitish is my game