Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2006, 11:51 PM   #11
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Havock:
Sometimes you just have to drop the "N-bomb". It doesn't make you a racist. If you discriminate against people and constantly try to put them down, that would make you a racist. In this particular context I think it was more for the insult value than for any expression of his personal beliefs. The guy was heckleing him, the guy was black, the 'N-bomb" was dropped repeatedly. If the guy was gay and the "Fag-bomb" was dropped would that then make him a homophobe? I think the whole thing has been taken wayyyyyyy off the reservation. People are trying to make a scandal out of nothing.
Agreed to a point. What he was doing had nothing to do with comedy once he lost his cool and I am glad he got so much bad publicity for it because frankly I detest comedians that go over a certain line. Not everything can be made into a joke. I hope this will be a warning sign to all those other bad comedians that I have had the displeasure of hearing in the past that made me turn the channel.

However, the black community does not need "years of healing" to get over this fool's bad act. To the blacks in my community, their past is used too much as a crutch and a reason to hide behind when they have hard times. My neighbor does not have a phone because she has no husband and a poor-paying job and she had kids out of marriage and her two kids are pot heads and listen to gangster music too loudly at 11:30pm on Friday nights...and they'd say it was because their ancestors were slaves and that the "man" was holding them down from being real people and having a place in this society, yet dropping out of school seemed a good idea at the time...not because they were too lazy to work but because the system is set up to raise the white man and lower the black to keep them where they are?

Old 11-22-2006, 12:33 AM   #12
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion Spy Hunter Champion
Quote:
Sometimes you just have to drop the "N-bomb". It doesn't make you a racist. If you discriminate against people and constantly try to put them down, that would make you a racist. In this particular context I think it was more for the insult value than for any expression of his personal beliefs. The guy was heckleing him, the guy was black, the 'N-bomb" was dropped repeatedly. If the guy was gay and the "Fag-bomb" was dropped would that then make him a homophobe? I think the whole thing has been taken wayyyyyyy off the reservation. People are trying to make a scandal out of nothing.
First off, I'm willing to bet that he was on drugs or alcohol or some such.

Secondly, I wanted to respond to this and to the post that asked why black people can use that word, but we can't.

When a pejorative word is reclaimed by a community, members of the community may use it as a term of pride as they see fit. It is not our place to take it upon ourselves and use these words on people in the community as we see fit.

If we use these words, they don't automatically make us racist or homophobic. However, the act of using them is a racist/homophobic act, and people are free to be offended by it as they see fit. Who are you to judge the offensiveness of a term when it hasn't been hurled at you? You can't possibly do such a thing unless you've experienced it firsthand.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:34 AM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
You remember him from SEINFELD as Kramer. Well, he went nuts on stage, calling African American people the n-word, and saying 50 years ago, they be hanging! WTF?

Is it because he is a wash-up now? And can't get work?

Sad... I liked him. My favorite Seinfeld episode was when Kramer bought the Merv Griffin show set, and set it up in his apartment, and pretended to interview his neighbors.. [img]smile.gif[/img] But now... sad.

Here is the video--its graphic, so if you have kids in the room, don't play it.
(cussing). The video is poor quality, but you can clearly hear what is said.

http://www.tmz.com/2006/11/20/kramer...aught-on-tape/
He just went ballistic I think. But you can't have that. If you're a stand-up comic you should have a strategy to deal with when you get heckled on stage. I'd say losing your rag and calling the heckler a ■■■■■■ isn't a strategy to use.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:25 AM   #14
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
quote:

Secondly, I wanted to respond to this and to the post that asked why black people can use that word, but we can't.

When a pejorative word is reclaimed by a community, members of the community may use it as a term of pride as they see fit. It is not our place to take it upon ourselves and use these words on people in the community as we see fit.

If we use these words, they don't automatically make us racist or homophobic. However, the act of using them is a racist/homophobic act, and people are free to be offended by it as they see fit. Who are you to judge the offensiveness of a term when it hasn't been hurled at you? You can't possibly do such a thing unless you've experienced it firsthand.
[/QUOTE]Man, this is such a useless string of arguments that I don't know where to start.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:02 AM   #15
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I think you're trying to defend the indefensible here, mate. It was a disgraceful, unacceptable comment that if he'd said it from anywhere other than the safety of the stage would probably have earned him a punch in the head. He's apologised for it though, let's move on.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #16
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

In Finland "■■■■■■" isn't really a bad word, it's more in everyday speech, but some people find it offensive...
Old 11-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #17
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion Spy Hunter Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
quote:
quote:

[/QUOTE]Man, this is such a useless string of arguments that I don't know where to start.
[/QUOTE]I see. Good point, Link. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #18
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Link:
quote:
quote:

[/QUOTE]I see. Good point, Link. I don't know why I didn't think of that.
[/QUOTE]He's got ya there Illumina [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #19
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Bithron:
In Finland "■■■■■■" isn't really a bad word, it's more in everyday speech, but some people find it offensive...
Well, they have started censoring the niggers out of product names and such. You remember those chocolate things?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:15 PM   #20
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Greasel:
quote:
Originally posted by Bithron:
Well, they have started censoring the niggers out of product names and such. You remember those chocolate things? [/QUOTE]Ah yes, that would be the politically correct brigade, we have those here as well. For as long as i can remember we have these cookies, chocolate filled with cream, that go by the name of negerzoen, which basically means "negro's kiss, and some people suddenly were offended by that name. after a lot of hussle, they must have won behind the screens, because now the cookie's name is just "zoen", they left the "neger" out. It's not over though, now they want Sinterklaas' servants to change colours as well. Sinterklaas is kinda like Santa, except he comes to bring presents for the kids on December 5, and his servants are black, because they are suppossed to be Moors. The politically correct brigade (that's not their real name, i just like to call em that, it beats douchebags by an inch) now wants to change their skincolour from black into multicoloured. I wonder if any of those idiots ever consider the kids' stance in this, they tend to believe in that stuff you know.