Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 09-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Klutz
Manshoon

I always play full parties, and usually with NPC's also.

Option #1: Lana's mod, probably with this party:

Dwarf Lord (1: STR, DEX, 2: SPD, SEN)
Felpurr Ninja (1: STR, DEX, 2: SPD, SEN)
Human Monk (1: STR, DEX, 2: SPD, SEN)
Hobbit Gadgeteer (1: STR, SEN; 2: DEX, SPD)
Hobbit Bard (1: STR, DEX; 2: SPD, SEN)
Faerie Bishop (1: INT, SPD; 2 PIE, SEN)
NPC's: Any, but leaning towards Sparkle as one.

Although I have tried to avoid being spoiled, I understand Dwarf Lords, Ninjas, and Monks all have new items available, and that there are new Gadgets/Instruments also. Lord and Monk would tank, along with Ninja and/or Bard depending on their available items. I've been trying to lean away from Bishops but for this party I think it's needed.

Lord, Ninja, Monk, and Bard all with basic "combatant" development: Strength and Dexterity first to hit hardest and most accurately and favor weapon skill development, with Speed and Senses following to hit earlier in the round, more often, and a little more accurately. The hybrids will not be expert casters, but will pick up what they can from practice and spellbooks. For the Bard Strength also provides music stamina and Dexterity provides music skill. Gadgeteer favoring Senses over Dexterity for the added initiative. Bishop will cover all four spellbooks with standard "caster" development, going for Powercast and Snakespeed, and then more initiative and spellpoints.

Hmmm... may need to make one hybrid a better or at least faster caster to cover Soul Shield or Element Shield.

That would be my first modded game. I'm aware of at least one other mod (Deathstalker?), but the changes that one made sound a little too radical.

Option #2: Original game, hard (but not hardcore):

Hobbit Gadgeteer (1: STR, SEN, 2: VIT, SPD)
Hobbit Bard (1: STR, SPD, 2: VIT, SEN)
Human Priest (1: INT, 2: PIE, SPD, 3: SEN, VIT)
Elf Alchemist (1: INT, SPD, 2: SEN, PIE)
Faerie Psionic (1: INT, SEN, 2: SPD, PIE)
Faerie Mage (1: INT, SPD, 2: SEN, PIE)
NPC's: Probably none, but maybe Urq for more magic power or Sparkle & Madras for ranged power.

This would be my first "all-caster" party, with Bard and Gadgeteer to use instruments/gadgets as extra spell effects and Bard's improved resting to help recharge everyone also. The goal would be to deal with everything with spells and spell effects, but if needed the Gadgeteer and Bard can provide some melee capability. Bard/Gadgeteer development is tilted towards initiative and stamina for more and quicker item usage. Strength is favored over Vitality even for stamina purposes because it has many more advantageous secondary benefits. Casters are all going for Powercast, initiative, and spell points in that order, except the Priest where the priority of Piety is moved up slightly at the expense of Senses. Psionic also maxing Senses first instead of Speed for better synergy with Psionic skill learning.

Thoughts welcome!
Old 09-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
xfactor
Dungeon Master

I'll restrict my comments to the standard, un-modded game since that's where most of my experience lies.

An all-magic build is a tricky one. Early on you have very few spells that can deal with groups effectively and later on resistances get in the way, even with high Powercast abilities. Mid-game should be good since you can blast pretty much anything with multiple high-damage spells and not worry about resistances too much.

I'd seriously considering developing the melee skills of the Bard and Gadgeteer. Bards make OK fighters with the right weapons and STR/SPD development is a good way to go for both improved stamina and fighting skills. Maybe even do the same with the Priest. With two Faeries and an Elf you'll have some vulnerable characters so you'll need something to take some hits. I find Priests often have limited use after the first rounds of combat so developing good mace skill should allow you to switch to bashing the enemy until people start needing healed.

xfactor
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Klutz
Manshoon

Thanks for the comments!

The all-magic build is something I've been meaning to try. I ususally use lots of fighter-types with spellcasters for soul/element shield and support. Will still do that, but I think I'm leaning towards the mod now, for the first time through, and then may try the casters with the mod. Lana's mod primarily adds new items and changes item drops from what I understand. Then if I like the way the mod changes things I may play the casters there too.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
Roboghost
Manshoon

If you're going fast though the game, then the hybrids obviously need to focus mostly on their physical skills and limited magic. Otherwise, don't EVEN neglect the magic of the hybrids. My team is 19th level now [I only level all at same time - just me] and my hybrids - samurai monk ranger - can throw out some mean spells* before the monsters are even close. Once one or two rounds of spells are done, then I move in for the kill (while my two bishops continue to pound or save my hide with their spells.) Works like a charm so far.

Note I just go with the original game plus latest patch, but once one tires of that, the I say go ahead and see "what's out there" to further the games continued interest with yourself ; )

On a side note about the bard and gadgeteer -- using them to replace a bishop and such is cool, but they are a pain too since they have to carry each "spell" via an ITEM. Not quite as convenient as a spellbook! I have a gadgeteer, so I'm mostly using just a few key gadgets and the rest [slots] go toward that gun which cripples so nicely -- they fire so often, that the INSTAKILL gets a chance to show itself every few battles. Yippee! Finally, my gadgey can fight...she's used to protect my bishops when the heat is on. I just put Fang and a Thieves Buckler in her hands and the sneaky monster ends up regretting going to the rear of my formation. These character types can be a jack of all trades AND a master of them too, but it takes time. Level 50 here I come!!! No NPC's for me - I glory hog the points.

Uhh...it's also nice having some kind of alchemist to make some money to fill up those hungry spell books. Adventuring needs a sponsor -- after all.

*I save spell picks to ensure I have some level 6 and 7 spells when they get to use them.
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Majin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Where is Lana's Mod ? And what does it do ? I never heard of it - didnt find it here http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie/ either

only this :

Flamestryke's New Mod, version 1.1, the creator of the first released mod has done it again in a brand new revamped mod! This mod contains far too many new features, items, spells, gadgets etc to list them all here, so just download and enjoy!
Graphic only mod, simply uses some of the graphics that did not appear in the game but are contained in the graphic database, also few existing item bug corrections.

Disco Stu's Mod, version 1a, this mod focuses on changing existing equipment in the game (while filling some "holes" with new equipment). It makes weapon usage skill based. It also reduces the ability to mix potions for money and attempts to better balance weapons and armour.
Deathstalker's Mod, version 3.0, has fixed "most" (hopefully all) the crash issues from previous versions. Added/deleted some story content (most notably the Monastery addition of the crazy toys). Fixed some spells to work outside combat as well as some interesting spells for monsters only! (see Trynton patch below).

Trynton Patch for Deathstalker's Mod (v3.0), looks like there was a bug that slipped into the 'Lanthorn the Hunter' encounter in Trynton with Deathstalker's latest version of his mod. This patch will correct it, simply place these two files into the appropriate locations.

Random_Passerby's Random Mod, version 0.2, as the name might imply, the main feature of this mod is that virtually all of the new items appear quite randomly and are at least moderately rare, and item distribution in general has been made a bit more varied.

W4st's Transparent Compasses mod, is a simple graphic mod that makes the Radar and Formation panels transparent so that you can see through them. The mod makes no alterations to any game files, it merely unpacks some graphic files, and so will be compatible with all other mods (assuming they don't modify the compasses either). There's a screenshot included in the file to that shows what the effect looks like.

[ 09-19-2006, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Majin ]
Majin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

I liked my all caster party, It was nice to summon 6 elementals and then support them. Your alchemist can creat elemental bombs for the casters who can't cast them. It helps if they are fast casters to get them out before the monsters close in on you.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #7
Klutz
Manshoon

@Majin:
Lana's (a.k.a. Flamestryke) main Wiz8 page:
http://www.flamestryke.com/wizardry8...trykes_w8.html

Mod page:
http://www.flamestryke.com/wizardry8...modnewsw8.html

Midway down the page is the link for version "4d", which as far as I know is the latest, and the one I installed.

@Roboghost: When I mean not focusing on magic, I mean attributewise, but I do intend to practice them to be able to cast their spells as best as they can without dedicating hours of real-life time to the task. They will not, however, get Powercast. And understood on the Bard/Gadgie item count restriction, especially since some of the later gadgets/instruments are like 20lbs each!

@Nightwing: Which is why 5 1/2 out of 6 of the characters in my all-caster party level in an initiative-increasing attribute from the beginning. The 1/2 not is the Priest, who will level Int/Spd and Int/Pie till Int is maxed and Spd/Pie are even, and then Spd/Pie till they are maxed. It's basically the equivalent of going 2/2/2 except I get Powercast exactly as fast as if I was going 3/3 between Int and anything else.

The final decision though, as I was leaning towards in my last post, was Lana's mod with the hybrids. I will do those casters sometime, but not this time.