Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2006, 12:04 AM   #1
Mahokenshi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just finished a playthrough of BG1, and I even though I tried to role play a Neutral Good charcter (ie no fighing Sendai of Amn, or the "best" swordsman of the west, or any of the other cranky adventurers that insult you), by the time I got to Baldur's gate I broke down and did most of the breaking and entry quests.

The thing is, A lot of even the Good quests involve you kicking down a locked door, only to have the occupants overjoyed at your arrival and give you quests that boost your reputation.

So how does this translate for good aligned characters? I kind of saw my party as a sort of good aligned door to door advernturing service, kicking down your front door for all your adenturing needs (I had dualled Imoen to a mage, and she hadn't gotten her theif skills back, leaving me using the Gauntlets of Ogre power as lockpicks. )
Mahokenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:22 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You're searching for Sarevok. You invade houses to search for his scummy hide. So long as you remember not to rob the occupants, all should be well.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

The game engine doesn't allow for dorbells. You tried knocking... broke open the door by mistake.

"Ooops, sorry about your door Sir. But since I'm already in you might just as well give me a quest if you have any to spare."
Old 12-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

it's a bit annoying isn't it?
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
Roboghost
Manshoon

Yea...well...umm...

I look at it that a thief in the game can be good [Imoen right at the start], so now you have to get philosophical-like.

I see it as all the good people paying me "taxes" to support the greater good -- to destroy the ultimate evil that abounds. I'm only taking a bit of their gold or goods to support that cause. I'm sure they [most anyway] would rather loose some of their wealth then be dead - or worse - becoming a ravaged slave or lost soul of some sort.

That being said -- I prefer loading up on thief power more than anything else in this particular game [I'll be hurting at times, but gives challenge.]

My current team that I'm about to embark on [DC'ing Imoen & myself]:
Paladin - Ajantis
Ranger - Minsc
Cleric - Branwen
Thief - Safana
Fighter / Illusionist - Protagonist
Mage / Thief - Imoen

Safana will take care of my thieving needs and Imoen will pick a pocket or two!

Edit: Changed my mage stuff around a bit and in response to Illumina Drathiran'ar below...hehehe...my PC is just that -- Lawful Neutral

[ 12-20-2006, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Roboghost ]
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

My approach is usually to go where I please and take what I can. After all, you never know where evil is hiding but there are sure to be some pretty evil gems, swords and the like out there. Me and my poor lore skill can't be sure so we're playing it safe and take everything that's not bolted down.
If the owners have a problem with it, they can come and find me and I'll gladly apologize, unless they might be evil themselves in which case they should submit to goodness or die. Also, no truely good person would object to my using a few of their objects to save the world (or even just my life, or to support the local merchants). It's quite an honour, in fact.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
That sounds more like Lawful Neutral, not Good.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
Legolas
Jack Burton

The BG guide to in-character item acquisition:

Lawful is when you take things from suspected shady people (and intended donations from others). Good is when you take things from suspected evil people (and intended donations from others). Neutral is when you take things because you may need them. Chaotic is when you take things because you can. Evil is when you take things because it's not appreciated.
Any mix of the above results in your taking things.
If you're not supposed to take something, it will be put on a shelf that does not glow on mouse-over.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I'm just sitting here thinking about the likes of Drizzt and Laeral Silverhand, and the phrase "submit to goodness or die." Does not compute.. The internal compass might be "good" until put into the context of the actions of others.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:58 AM   #10
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
Lawful is when you take things from suspected shady people (and intended donations from others). Good is when you take things from suspected evil people (and intended donations from others). Neutral is when you take things because you may need them. Chaotic is when you take things because you can. Evil is when you take things because it's not appreciated.
You know there shouldn't be a fixed "If Good you should do so and so about stealing..." "If Lawful you should do so and so about stealing..."

All Lawful characters do not behave same way and neither do all Evil ones, all Neutral ones. Two characters of exactly same alignement can behave in completely opposite ways over a certain issue. How Drizzt and Laeral would behave doesn't matter because my character is not Drizzt and Laeral, even if our alignements are same.

It is possible to roleplay a Lawful Good character who would always steal and it is possible to roleplay a Chaotic Evil who'd never break in.