Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up The future is here - Wireless electricity - no more plugs or cords!

Maybe not just yet. Still in the early stages of testing but, fascinating nonetheless.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080821...ipcompanyintel

Intel cuts electric cords with wireless power system

Intel on Thursday showed off a wireless electric power system that analysts say could revolutionize modern life by freeing devices from transformers and wall outlets.

Intel chief technology officer Justin Rattner demonstrated a Wireless Energy Resonant Link as he spoke at the California firm's annual developers forum in San Francisco.

Electricity was sent wirelessly to a lamp on stage, lighting a 60 watt bulb that uses more power than a typical laptop computer.

Most importantly, the electricity was transmitted without zapping anything or anyone that got between the sending and receiving units.

"The trick with wireless power is not can you do it; it's can you do it safely and efficiently," Intel researcher Josh Smith said in an online video explaining the breakthrough.

"It turns out the human body is not affected by magnetic fields; it is affected by elective fields. So what we are doing is transmitting energy using the magnetic field not the electric field."

Examples of potential applications include airports, offices or other buildings that could be rigged to supply power to laptops, mobile telephones or other devices toted into them.

The technology could also be built into plugged in computer components, such as monitors, to enable them to broadcast power to devices left on desks or carried into rooms, according to Smith.

"Initially it eliminates chargers and eventually it eliminates batteries all together," analyst Rob Enderle of Enderle Group said of Intel's wireless power system.

"That is potentially a world changing event. This is the closest we've had to something being commercially available in this class."

Previous wireless power systems consisted basically of firing lightning bolts from sending to receiving units.

Smith says Intel's wireless power system is still in an early stage of development and much research remains before it can be brought to market.

Rattner spoke of technological transformations he expects by the year 2050.

"You'd like to cut the last cord," Smith said.

"It's great that we have wireless email and wireless internet and stuff like that but at the end of the day it would be nice to have wireless recharge as well."
Old 08-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default Re: The future is here - Wireless electricity - no more plugs or cords!

You read Engadget? Saw it too.. only a few feet though... I'd LOVE to go wireless totally..
I just worry about the EM fields this would create---if our culture converted completely...

BTW=-- I totally forgot about that new Avatar I made a while back! Vampire!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

I like this bit best:
Quote:
Most importantly, the electricity was transmitted without zapping anything or anyone that got between the sending and receiving units.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:10 AM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
"It turns out the human body is not affected by magnetic fields; it is affected by elective fields. So what we are doing is transmitting energy using the magnetic field not the electric field."
That's odd, since as soon as you start moving through a magnetic field, you'll experience an electric field... The old induction thingy.

ADD: There's actually nothing special about this guys. This has been done for ages in the devices we know as TRANSFORMERS. Two coils of conductive wire of various sizes next to each other, but not touching each other. Send an electric current through one and it'll generate a magnetic field which the other coil then transforms into a current. The only difference is that they're doing this on a large scale. :p

Last edited by JrKASperov; 08-22-2008 at 05:13 AM.
JrKASperov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
"It's great that we have wireless email and wireless internet and stuff like that but at the end of the day it would be nice to have wireless recharge as well."
Put this in/under the streets and we'd have electric cars that recharge while being driven. That could make 'em popular enough to actually put a dent in foreign oil consumption...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!

Last edited by VulcanRider; 08-22-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRider View Post
Put this in/under the streets and we'd have electric cars that recharge while being driven. That could make 'em popular enough to actually put a dent in foreign oil consumption...

That's an awesome idea!

Man this sounds really really cool. Wireless electricity..wow
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRider View Post
Hell, that would make regular cars obsolete, assuming the prices of electric cars would come down to be affordable to the average consumer.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Previous wireless power systems consisted basically of firing lightning bolts from sending to receiving units.
hmmm.. i still like that idea

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkoliar View Post
hmmm.. i still like that idea
Yeah, "don't taze me bro!"
Old 08-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Yeah, "don't taze me bro!"
Retarded Policeman?