Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 01-25-2003, 12:33 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I just finished watching "The Others" on DVD, and it was pretty damn scary - at least compared to some of the BS that's been spewed forth from Hollywood as horror in the last few years. Good old fashioned horror film which scares you through relying on atmosphere and tension and NOT showing you things, rather than showing you things.

It's lamentable how the number of scary movies I've seen (since I've been older than 12, which doesn't help ) can probably be counted on one hand. I thought I'd nominate the following as some genuine shiver-givers (in no particular order):

</font>
  • The Exorcist - I saw this when I was 12 and again last year and it was still pretty damn scary</font>
  • The Sixth Sense</font>
  • The Others</font>
  • Stigmata - I'm Catholic and that's probably what made it scary</font>
  • Event Horizon</font>
  • Nightmare on Elm Street I</font>
What about you guys? Try not to give spoilers away in case people (like myself) haven't seen some of the stuff you recommend.

[ 01-25-2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 12:44 PM   #2
Lavindathar
Harper

<font color="cyan">Hmmm.

The Excorcist just isn't scary. I was 15 when I watched, on my own, in a dark room at about 11pm. It just wasn't scary. Wasn't that good either!

Most films can be quite scary in the right atmosphere, it's all about the music!

Ok, an answer: Erm, dunno!

I remember Jeepers Creepers being freaky! Even though its only rated 12, or 29 days (watched both at cinema)...thats an 18.</font>
Old 01-25-2003, 01:51 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I thought the Shining was pretty creepy. Horror movies these days aren't scary at all if you ask me. Movies like scream are only annoying, i don't care much for those type of movies.

When i was little i always got scared after watching those old black and white Dracula movies with Christopher Lee. I always asked my mom to leave the lights on when i had to go to bed.

Whatever happened with those zombie movies they made in the eighties ? I used to watch em all the time. Not much of a story, just a lot of blood and ripped off bodyparts, but they had you sitting on the edge of your chair. I remember a zombies vs cannibals movie. I never saw so many disgusting things in one movie, but still i watched it.

Another scary oldie was a movie called scanners. People with a "gift", they could kill someone just by staring and focussing on that person. One scene included a "scanner" sitting in a retaurant, and he got a little pissed with a noisy customer. He started focusing on the guy, and 10 seconds later his head exploded. It was some sight. I'm not sure, but i don't think they make those kind of movies anymore. I wonder why.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:14 PM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I've heard alot of good things about a movie called 'Ring' or 'The Ring'.
Haven't seen it myself though...
If you want to see something really scary, watch 'It' the mini-series based on the Steven King book. Really gave me the creeps..

[ 01-25-2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:05 PM   #5
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Stephen King's Rose Red was quite good just not overly scary.

The ring was cool though.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:20 PM   #6
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Um let's see Jeepers Creepers scared me..the ending was weird.
"IT" was freaky.
I can't really remember alot of the horror films I've seen.And BTW what is Stigmata?
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:55 AM   #7
Lifetime
Red Dragon

The Sixth Sense kept be awake at night. The Ring just terrified the crap out of me.
The Ring has got to be one of the scariest movies I've EVER seen. English version naturally. Too many crazy subliminal messages.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:09 PM   #8
Gazza
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by SomeGuy:
[QB]"IT" was freaky.[QB]
Steven Kings IT scared the absolute crap out of me. It scared me so much I was afraid to go in the bathroom but I was only nine when I watched it. I also thought Jeepers Creepers was good but I didn't think it was that scary. Apparently there making a part two. Wonder if it will be any good.
Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 01:25 PM   #9
Lavindathar
Harper

<font color="cyan">
Just decided, I agree! THE SHINING by far!

Awesome film!</font>
Old 01-26-2003, 03:39 PM   #10
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

How about REALLY old movies. Power word: Nosferatu.

The scariest thing in it is the oldness itself. Camera angles are so weird and unusual that you never really know what is coming behind that cliff, or if the monster actually stands next to a cameraman. There is just that "something", atmosphere, in old black/white movies.

Another trophy goes to the Night of The Living Dead. It´s a classic, but very different than Nosferatu. What could be a better plot (oh well..maybe something) than a group of people escaping to a little farmhouse and desperately starting to block incoming zombies, to an ending which is unavoidable. You can´t love the screams when these zombies capture the woman.. Horror at its best.

[ 01-26-2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]