Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 10-25-2004, 11:49 PM   #1
BEES
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hiya peoples I had to leave the game for a while due to studies but im back with the same problems!

Basically I talked to the old man (mask quest) and saved (hence the sketchy memories of whats happened) the previous save before this one is waaay back before I left the first town.
The problem is....
If I leave an area (get a load screen) the game makes a beep sound and crashes (but doesn't kick me out of the game just sorta freezes)
If I kill the mantraps the same thing happens (I think this may be due to one of my dudes being able to level up)

Please help
Old 10-25-2004, 11:57 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome back to the boards, BEES... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hmmm... now for some answers...

Okay, let's start with the Tech Tips thread. That's up at the top of the board, next to Best Tips, bsftcs' maps, and the library. Check in there... what you're describing sounds like it might be related to Win2k or XP, or perhaps some of the basic system stuff.

If nothing there seems to be the answer then drop us a post back with more information, including...

... your operating system
... if Win2k or XP, which of the Tech Tips tweaks have been done
... your processor and memory
... your directX version
... your video and sound card driver versions
... a list of what else is running when you're playing
... your credit card and mother's maiden name

Okay, just kidding on the last one [img]smile.gif[/img]

Give us that info, and we can probably get you an idea for what it will need.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 12:10 AM   #3
BEES
Elite Waterdeep Guard

*Using WIN XP
*of the teck tips the ones that are most suited I have done (compatability mode)
none of the others seemed apropriate
*intel pentium 4
*480 mb ram
*not sure about direct x (i think 9)
* I don't know video or sound dirvers
*Nothing else is on
*barry and 1234 (HEHEHE he'll never know)

Side note I went through a list of problems with this game before (around 5 months ago i think) with this problem and it was suggested that I open task manager and find out which are viruses trojens and the like I have done this but it hasn't helped. I may have missed some (or they have come back) so im currently checking them now but I haven't found any.
I have sypbot and adaware

Sorry not much of a computer guru (halfway between newbee and not quite newbee)
Old 10-26-2004, 12:22 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... okay, let's see...

First off, you need to do more tweaks. Most likely you need to do the virtualdub thing (details in Tech Tips) so that your video files will work properly.

Second, you need to make sure your hard drive is defragmented. Go to my computer, right-click on your hard drive, go to properties, click on tools, and there's an option in there for checking the disk. Run that... it may take a while.

Third, make sure virtual memory is fixed. Now, as a geek [img]smile.gif[/img] I have to say that 480MB of memory is a very, Very, VERY odd number. Where is that coming from? In any case, Right-click on My Computer, go to properties, go to advanced, and go to Virtual Memory. Specify the same maximum and minimum sizes, and set it to 2-3 times your physical memory. If you've got 480 or 512, I would set it to 1024 (one gig).

Nextly, go to Start, Run and type in DxDiag. That will give you all sorts of information about your video and sound drivers (including if they're misbehaving). It will also tell you your directX version (9.0C, for example).

Antenextly, go to W&W and see what settings you have for graphics and sound. Turning them down can sometimes clean up these kinds of problems.

Antepennextly, are you running the patch? If not, you might try downloading and installing it to see if it works any miracles for you. It did for me, once upon a time...
-+-+-+
Old 10-26-2004, 12:33 AM   #5
BEES
Elite Waterdeep Guard

sorry should have mentioned I do have the patch on.

The thing I don't understand was that it was running fine untill this point... when I say fine i couldn't leave towns and cast spells but I fixed that with either the patch or the tech tips and then could play without problems

BTW I have to say they are well written... I know where the on switch is and how to run a game (ok probably a lot more than that) but i could still follow the tech tips and best tips, so thanks

As a side note finnished checking all the task manager list. All is well on this front. I think...

[ 10-26-2004, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: BEES ]
Old 10-26-2004, 06:54 AM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome back, BEES!!

Nice to have you back!
I'm glad that Bungleau found your posts first - he is sooooo much more qualified to handle techie problems than I am. That Tech Tips thread is a wonderful help to so many players!!

Hope to learn that your tech problems are solved soon and that you are happily bashing monsters and journeying onward in W&W!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:39 PM   #7
BEES
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Hmmm... okay, let's see...

First off, you need to do more tweaks. Most likely you need to do the virtualdub thing (details in Tech Tips) so that your video files will work properly.

Second, you need to make sure your hard drive is defragmented. Go to my computer, right-click on your hard drive, go to properties, click on tools, and there's an option in there for checking the disk. Run that... it may take a while.

Third, make sure virtual memory is fixed. Now, as a geek [img]smile.gif[/img] I have to say that 480MB of memory is a very, Very, VERY odd number. Where is that coming from? In any case, Right-click on My Computer, go to properties, go to advanced, and go to Virtual Memory. Specify the same maximum and minimum sizes, and set it to 2-3 times your physical memory. If you've got 480 or 512, I would set it to 1024 (one gig).

Nextly, go to Start, Run and type in DxDiag. That will give you all sorts of information about your video and sound drivers (including if they're misbehaving). It will also tell you your directX version (9.0C, for example).

Antenextly, go to W&W and see what settings you have for graphics and sound. Turning them down can sometimes clean up these kinds of problems.

Antepennextly, are you running the patch? If not, you might try downloading and installing it to see if it works any miracles for you. It did for me, once upon a time...
This just to make it easier
the virtual dub thingy is done...no help
Defragmentation is done... no help
Already did the memory thing set it at 1400 ish
DivX is 9.0c
Display drivers SiSGRV Device SiS
Sound driver ALCXWDM Device Avance AC97 Audio
(nothing misbehaving)
Patch installed...no help

please help im so bored

PS I get a message when it freezes that states that the memory found at could not be found and may be corrupt.

[ 11-09-2004, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: BEES ]
Old 11-09-2004, 11:07 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... I don't know if I have good answers at this point. I've been having problems with 9.0C, and I'm wishing I'd stayed at 9.0B.

Okay, here are a couple more thoughts...

1. Have you made changes with the OS (DirectX, new vid card, etc.)? W&W needs to be reinstalled after things like that, so you might want to do that (save your savegame directory and roster.dat first).

2. The order of installation can make a difference, too. You may need to reinstall the video drivers after any changes, and you may need to get them from the video card manufacturer's web site, too. Don't trust the Windows update utility that tells you you've got the most current version...

I'm on the road until Thursday, and once I get back, I'll see what other things I can come up with [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Old 11-12-2004, 06:24 PM   #9
BEES
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I don't think anything has changed, Definenelty not the vid card but I will try to reinstall it and see if that helps. If I do reintall will I also have to reinstall the patch?

Thanks for all your help
Old 11-12-2004, 06:31 PM   #10
So So
Zhentarim Guard

ya if you reinstall you have to reload the patch up...