Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 02:30 PM   #41
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I do believe that would be "Zo so", Jon [img]smile.gif[/img]

A word on patching, from a developer's perspective... Patching is what you do when there's a problem with the software. You release a patch with bug fixes that take care of it. They're not the means for releasing new functionality. That would be a new release, or an add-on.

I think that the important thing is not so much to have patches, but add-ons. Imagine if there were a new adventure for W&W -- say, that Cet was gone, but Kerah's star was burning out, and Anephas came back to the Gael Serran searching for someone to help him save Kerah. As long as you hadn't read Missy's adventures, you probably wouldn't have a problem with that [img]smile.gif[/img]

Or say that they came out with a game expansion kit, and allowed the user community to design new worlds and adventures. That's largely what has happened with BG, and folks still enjoy playing that [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now, to be frank, those things should be designed in from the beginning. They should plan for expansion packs, plan for expansion kits, and plan for additional ways to extend the current game.

*THAT* is what I'd love to see... and that's my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #42
jsalsb
Elminster

I was thinking that So might have been Zo's younger smarter brother or something [img]smile.gif[/img]

And yes to add-ons! I love your W&W mod ideas, and would love to see planning for that sort of thing in DL too.

But it would be nice too if they could put out a DL that *mostly* works, and patch the few bugs later. And then maybe stay in business long enough to release further patches as needed...
Old 11-12-2004, 05:22 PM   #43
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Good point

I think W&W has done fine with just one patch (Arx Fatalis is on version 1.17). Unfortunately, the challenge with software development is that you can't wait until it's perfect to release it... you have to wait until it's good enough. And then you have to be ready for the first rounds of support and patching [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ahh... if only the software could stay around long enough... :dreams away:
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:28 PM   #44
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by jsalsb:
("So So" - any reation to Jimmy Page?)
Nope... no relation... just my Chinese last name used as my first name...

hum... I dunno... patches might be to fix bugs... but I guess I am too much of a Blizzard person where so many things are added with their patches... but yea... add ons... and def. an expansion pack should be considered...

But yea... I get how things work with software and what not because of my last course in computer science... but still... the outlook for a big corp. should be slightly accurate... not put off every month when asked about it... but hopefully the game will be developed nicely... worth the wait in my opinion...
Old 11-13-2004, 06:36 AM   #45
the mighty stamar

well march would be the end of q1 2005 so that date is just saying the last day it could be.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote