Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 03-11-2002, 08:45 PM   #41
Dakkon Darkblade
The Magister

I've seen the ideas about the two weapons that give bonuses when together by the way, and I've thought about it some, the only problem is implementing it. As others on this forum have said in response, it may not be possible to actually have weapons know when another one is equipped without some sort of script that comes with it, and items, as far as I've seen in my great research of this game, don't have scripts like it would take to do so.

I do think though that the dual hammer thing would be cool, or a set of two weapons that go hand in hand together, sort of complementing each other while you use both, instead of only getting bonuses when both are equipped. Sort of like the Ying and Yang weapons, which I think would either be scimitars or katanas by the way... a dual katana thing might be fun. And the complementing factors could be like the thing about one draining levels, and the other protecting from level drain. Or! Even better... they both offer protection from the other one, and deal damage to the wielder or level drain... which can be prevented while wielding it.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:40 AM   #42
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Dakkon Darkblade:
A ring or something that gives you an ability of casting StoneSkin and Mirror Image is a very cool idea by the way.....I might use the idea of Sebastion's ring, or I might call it the something along the lines of the Mage's Life Saver.

Thanks, I like the idea too, but actually Mages have very little use for this ring, since they already have SS and MI up all the time anyway. True, those spells do give you free time to cast, but the ring is best used on a Fighter--the ring would confer an obscene amount of Tanking power, but it's not unbalanced because it can only be used once a day. So it's great for making REALLY tough fights (like high-level dragons) easier, but it won't last long enough to, say, clear the Mind Flayer dungeon, so it's not cheap. Perfect for your Tank--unless you're a Wizard Slayer. And if you do call it Sebastion's Ring, please keep my description--I tend to write good ones. (blatant arrogance here)

About the Wing Buffet thing: There IS an item that does Wing Buffet--the Harp of Pandemonium, which Diedre sells. And you CAN be immune to it (large creatures like Ettins and Fire Giants are), but I'm not sure if the immunity can be conferred by an item.

I'll echo JR Jansen on the need for good bucklers. The Druid, Thief, and Bard are all stuck with Bucklers, and there are only *TWO* in the whole game, one of which doesn't even exist in BG2? Aaargh. I think my next item'll be a buckler.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:58 AM   #43
Dakkon Darkblade
The Magister

Ack sorry, I almost forgot to post it... I made the ring SixOfSpades, calling it Sebastian's Dragon Ring and using your description. Here it is... I am pretty certain it made it into the finals.

---

Sebastian's Dragon Ring
This item was originally worn by Sebastion Hammerhand, a worthy Paladin who founded his own adventuring band near Trademeet. One year, their area suffered a marked incursion of dragons, and Sebastion found himself, more often than not, absorbing the brunt of the damage for his party. After being raised from the dead twice, he commissioned this ring. Though long in the making, it was truly worth waiting for, as it enabled Sebastion to transform himself into a living fortress, not to be brushed aside by even the mightiest of dragons.

After Sebastion eventually died (of sunstroke), the ring passed to his friend Mardel Bloodgroove, and has never been out of the adventuring profession since.

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities: Wearer can cast Stoneskin (5 Skins) and Mirror Image (60 seconds) upon himself simultaneously once per day.

Special: Wearer becomes immune to Wing Buffet

Armor Class: +2 bonus
Saving Throws: +2 bonus

---

So it's like a +2 ring that's great for fighters... but I didn't limit it to anybody, unless you guys think I should. It is kind of powerful with the AC and Saving Throw bonuses... but hey, I don't know if you can use it with other magical weapons or not, so it might be balanced that way. I'll have to check. I did the Wing Buffet thing with a Protection from Opcode, it was pretty easy, and the ring... dun dun dun... is done.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:25 AM   #44
Dakkon Darkblade
The Magister

oh, and JR Jansen, I think a magical buckler is a good idea too. *yawns sleepily, then shakes himself* Ahem, yes. Yes I do. I'll work on it... I don't quite want to make it just reflecting missile weapons though, because there is already the reflection shield for that... maybe I'll combine some things, like reflection with something else... I'll think on it.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:50 AM   #45
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well, it isn't so much reflection but more stopping them like the 'protection from normal misile' spell. I also did combine it with haste. I think that this is a good roleplay shield. Your thief is scouting, gets cought, uses the haste from the shield to get himself out of there as quickly as possible all the way protected from normal missile.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:08 PM   #46
robo donkey
Manshoon

How about something like the big metal rod, a crossbow or longbow which fires spells such as magic missile and lightening bolt. You could balance it with str or cha penalties and by limiting the number of spells fired per day (the less powerful the spell, the fewer can be fired)
robo donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 12:56 PM   #47
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I didn't see your first buckler idea, Jansen, but how about something like this....

Spiked Buckler +2, Fire Shield

Statistics
Cast Fire Shield, Red AND Fire Shield, Blue twice per day each.
Duration: 6 turns for each casting.

Only 1 Fire Shield can be in effect at a time.

The Buckler also has a long spike in the center which can be used for 1 extra attack per round and does damage as per a dagger (1D4)

AFA dual-wielded weapons go, the Axes and Hammers are both good ideas (although the Axes look a little too powerful). I love this new aspect of the game. I gave Crom Faeyr to Minsc and cheated in a 2nd Hammer of T-bolts for him to dual-wield. With this combo, he definitely does some serious "BUTT-KICKING FOR GOOODNESSSS". I also downloaded some weapons from Arundors Abode (don't have a current URL). The two swords I chose for Valygar were the katana's of Poseidon and Prometheus. One does +10hp cold damage and the other does +10hp fire damage. It also makes a cool visual since one sword pulses red and the other blue.

Dakkon,

Thanks for Posting this site and everything else you've done. I had an idea about revising the 2-hand sword NO BRAINER that I suggested earlier. Rather than create a 2nd sword, you could just ad the Intelligence-drain ability to the Riftsword and change the name to Wizard Slayer.

Or maybe you could make the Riftsword upgradeable to add the ability.

Just some thoughts.
Old 03-12-2002, 02:56 PM   #48
Krishach
Drow Warrior

Dakkon, even if my items don't get into the shop, can you make them for me anyway, because I'd really like them, and IEEP is confusing to me. =\
Old 03-12-2002, 06:54 PM   #49
Voltar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Dakkon, i'm still working on my ring, some of the abilities don't work yet but it's getting there [img]smile.gif[/img]
here's what it will be...

Tarlov's Ring
Tarlov was an adventurer and mage whose renown as an enemy of mindflayers and vampires was exceeded only by his love of the taverns and festhalls of Athkatla. Many believed the secret of his longevity was the magical ring he wore.
Unfortunately this magical ring did not offer protection against disease, as evidenced by his untimely demise from an unknown but virulent infection, a few weeks after a particularly steamy night of passion with Athkatla courtesan Rose Bouquet.

While equipped:
Immunity to stun/hold/charm/confusion/feeblemind/level drain/psionics

Cast Chaotic Commands 1/Day
Cast Project Image 3/Day

-2 penalty to AC
Voltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 07:49 PM   #50
Nifft the Nimble

Hi Dakkon!

I have a couple of hopefully balanced weapon and armor requests:

Kaul-Iranae: Oaken Doublespear +1

A doublespear is similar to a normal spear, but it has a tip on each end. Doublespears are exotic weapons and require a high dexterity to use properly. They reward their weilder with extra puissance in combat.

Many are the times that the friends of nature have been called upon to defend her against unnatural threats. This doublespear was crafted by a militant sect of Druids, using the elemental powers at their disposal, to augment their combat abilities. It rejects the touch of those who are not in harmony with nature.

THAC0: +0 (+2 to determine what it can hit)
Damage: 1d8 + 1, +3 fire OR +3 cold (50% chance of either)
Equipt Abilities: 1 Extra Attack
Hands: 2
Requires: 12 Dex
Proficiency Type: Spear
Damage Type: Piercing
Weight: 15
Speed: 3
Usable by:
Druids (single, dual and multi-class)
Rangers (single, dual and multi-class)

Slaan Palke: Barbed Iron Doublespear +2

A doublespear is similar to a normal spear, but it has a tip on each end. Doublespears are exotic weapons and require a high dexterity to use properly. They reward their weilder with extra puissance in combat. This doublespear is particularly heavy.

Each end of this foul weapon is a barbed spike, the hooks and tips of which glisten with a powerful poison. The first record of this weapon's use was in the gladiatorial pits of a Calimport slave trader. Whether the slaver had the cruel weapon crafted to add spice to his deathmatches, or captured it along with a prospective gladiator from a distant land, is unknown.

THAC0: +2
Damage: 2d6 + 1 acid
Combat Abilities: 20% chance to poison with each hit (1 HP per second for 10 seconds)
Requires: 12 Dex, 14 Str
Weight: 35
Speed: 5
Not usable by:
Mage
Thief
Cleric
Good characters

Melbauir: Radient Doublespear +3

A doublespear is similar to a normal spear, but it has a tip on each end. Doublespears are exotic weapons and require a high dexterity to use properly. They reward their weilder with extra puissance in combat.

Legends tell of the Morninglord giving certain Aasmir under his command lances of the finest quality, imbued with the powers of light. Whether this is a true Lance of Lathander or not, it is an amazingly graceful weapon, and its magic seems to flow from the dawn. Melbauir's glowing shaft feels light in your grip. It moves with both fluid balance and swift motion bordering on the supernatural.

THAC0: +3, +5 vs. Undead
Damage: 1d8 + 3, +5 vs. Undead
Special Abilities: cast False Dawn once per day
Requires: 12 Dex
Weight: 6
Speed: 1
Not usable by:
Mage
Thief
Cleric
Non-good characters

Black Thunder: Javelin of Lightning

A javelin is a short version of a spear, weighted for throwing. It is not usable in melee.

This coal-black javelin seems to hum with latent power. It was the gift of Talos to a faithful berserker worshipper named Ulrik Thringor. This warrior met an unfortunate end when he accidentally shocked a druid while using this javelin to hunt near a grove. The druid answered with a lightning storm of her own, and Ulrik's crispy soul went to meet his maker.

The power of the Stormlord is evident when the javelin is thrown, for it becomes a minor lightning bolt. After throwing, the javelin returns to both its normal physical form and weilder.

Special: turns into minor lightning bolt which does 2d8 damage
Special: returns to thrower
Hands: 1
Damage Type: Electrical
Weight: 7
Speed: 3
Not usable by:
Mage
Thief
Cleric
Lawful characters

I hope you agree that these are fun weapons!

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote