Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #11
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I've just started up a new Tutu game, and have been switching party members like no tomorrow. Party member A kills party member B, Party member D gets chunked by sword spiders (Coran, Imoen, Alora, you name it. Every thief in the game sans Safana has been chunked.), Party member F gets petrified...

It's ooodles of fun
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #12
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
Cerebro, how did you take on your first run Jaheira without Khalid?
I remember holding on to Khalid for a good while in the early exploratory part of chapter 1, but eventually his character begun to become bad for morale. He fell valiantly during the encounter with Silke, I think, as I was using him as the main tank at the time. I decided not to reload and instead roleplay by finding a suitable replacement. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Don't get me wrong though, I quite like Khalid. His unlikely heroics can be amusing and he is fun to use.

I actually had a similar situation with Minsc. The big fellah turned on me for taking too long with his quest and I was forced to kill him, which was a shame, as it has meant that I've had a somewhat of an ambivalent relationship with him ever since. [img]smile.gif[/img]
(and thus the ever familiar 'hey, I killed you' sentiment when I first played BG2)

[ 02-09-2007, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #13
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:

Oh...not to be pedantic as well, but its Kivan. K-I-V-A-N.
Did somebody say pedantic? The only more reliable Illumina Summoning Spell is to draw a pentagram on the floor and chant "I summon thee." Good work.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

IMO, 4 is best. It's easier to manage, and you're more powerful because of faster level-ups. In the end (xp cap), 6 is more powerful, but I'd still prefer 4 from both an ease of use aspect and the early power levels (where I think the game is hardest).

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:11 AM   #15
Mahokenshi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well drat. KIVAN it is. And any rate, he's how your party lives to level 5 or 6 or so (when your mages start being useful, your tanks can actually TANK something more powerful than a xvart, etc.) Well, him and Coran. But you pick up Coran later (even if you rush to get him, and if you do you'll be low level, and if you're low level than the only thing keeping the Gnolls and Ogres off your back is Kivan's fighter's thaco, 5 shots/2 rounds, and dex + elf bonuses.)

Anyway, I'm trapling merrily along with a party of six right now (Cleric/mage, Imoen, Dynaheir, Minsc, Kivan, and Ajantis. Did I get them all right? ) I've got to say, though, that Klorox's advice is looking very tasty today. I've got three arcane casters (dualed Immy at level 6), and larger ambush parties fall pretty easily to a barrage of Hold People spells (after which they each eat a TON of magic missles. Plus Kivan kills stuff. Plus once in a blue moon Ajantis will connect with a blow. Sigh ... low level, un-grandmastered, un-exceptional strength tanks... .) But the path finding, and the xp division (my PC being multi classed, and the party's only divine caster and all.) If you pick well with a party of four, managing your inventory can be more challenging than many of the fights. But it would really depend on your PC. Both of my 4-parties were with a fighter PC. Let's face it; fighters aren't exactly a weak choice.
Mahokenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #16
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Mahokenshi: Fighters (archery based warriors, actually) rule BG1. If you're looking for power, you've got way too much arcane help (I personally recommend 1 - 1.5 arcane casters).

Pathfinding is a whole lot easier with 4 characters as well.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
Roboghost
Manshoon

Tanks...

Ajantis should be given a +2 Weapon ASAP. Either the:
***spoil***
Long Sword +2 or the Hammer +2 (depending on your other tank.) If going with the Hammer +2 -- his next skill point needs to be the blunt. Also, since the Hammer +2 is light damage [see note 2 though], take advantage of your mage and keep two slots filled with the Strength spell for him for each new area that you explore. THAC0 for a tank is IMPERATIVE in BG1. Do whatever it takes to get it up. I'm going to give Ajantis the Tome for strength later -- my main tanks’ 18/00 is good enough (especially since he's wielding a certain pair of gauntlets.) You can use potions also, but it's nice to try and keep all team members maintenance free as possible to concentrate on other things during battles.

Note 1: Replace Hammer +2 with Staff Mace in ToSC

Note 2: Hammer +2 [4-7 +1 elec] has a better low damage then the Sword +2 [3-10 +1 cold.] This can be somewhat beneficial for low strength tanks. It's also slightly faster = spell disruption.

Note 3: Give tomes where they're needed if not going to BG2 -- screw your main PC if he's a fighter when it comes time for a wisdom bump.

[ 02-12-2007, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Roboghost ]
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote