Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I just got off the phone to a good friend of mine who would have died in the 9/11 attacks 5 years ago. He was due to attend training in the North Tower at 8am that morning. What saved him was that he forgot to turn his alarm clock on the night before and woke up late, missing his train. As a result he had to take a taxi and was on his way down to Wall Street when the first plane hit. His alarm clock basically saved his life.

Also, my sister would have been in one of the towers had she not moved to Sydney months earlier.

I remember what I was doing when this happened - I was in Sydney, getting ready to go to bed, watching the news, when they reported that a plane had hit one of the towers. Then minutes later they said that a second plane had hit! All of a sudden the network switched to CNN. I ended up getting no sleep that night as I watched events unfold. I remember calling my sister (she was in NZ for a meeting) and we talked about how lucky she was, and how we were having trouble getting hold of our friends who were in the trade centre area (the cellphone networks were all overloaded). I was also trying to contact my aunt who worked at 7 World Trade Centre (the smaller building that also went down when the towers collapsed). I think I managed to get hold of her only the next day.

I remember posting here when it was all happening as well. What were you guys doing when 9/11 happened?

Here's how Ironworks was covering all this when it was happening.

Plane 1
Plane 2

Those were the ones I found, I'm sure there was more.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I had a separate office back then, and I was working on some customer stuff. One of the other guys in the building came and told me something was going on. I listened on the radio for about half an hour, then packed up everything and headed home for the rest of the day. Work wasn't so important any more...

I didn't lose anyone directly, but I've got friends who lost people.

Yesterday, we played a song by Alan Jackson as part of our church service. "Where were you" is the title...lyrics are here

Emotional. Moving. Hug 'em one more time.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

That was a spooky feeling to go back and read again...I rememember my emotions and those of people around me as we tried to continue working despite the whole ordeal. People were just sitting around or walking to places in a daze, wondering what would be the next breaking news story...wondering when it was over, wondering what was keeping us at work. The whole business was quieter, nobody had any jokes to tell, nobody had was speaking loudly, and those that could secretly find a TV or any news source that day were not hiding their efforts to stay glued to the news, rather than work.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

I'd just finished FF9. Turned it off, and that was what was running on live. Watched the 2nd plane hit....

Sad stuff.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yes, it was one of the worst years of my life. Mom dying of lung cancer, and 9|11. Although, Donna and I did get Married that year, which was the only good thing to come of that year.

Below, is the link to the Archived Forums -- I stickied all the most requested threads in Ironworks History.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...24;DaysPrune=5

Warning: It's some tough stuff to read.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Been a very solemn and sad day in NY state today. Upstate is also mourning the death of a state trooper, shot in the line of duty- funeral's upstate and I understand the governor's going back and forth between events.

Was in my office, listening to one of my colleagues relate what was happening...his wife was in an apt building that had full view of the towers and was on the phone live with him. Scary... very unnerving and tragic day.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:27 PM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Yes, it was one of the worst years of my life. Mom dying of lung cancer, and 9|11. Although, Donna and I did get Married that year, which was the only good thing to come of that year.

Below, is the link to the Archived Forums -- I stickied all the most requested threads in Ironworks History.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...24;DaysPrune=5

Warning: It's some tough stuff to read.
Brings back some memories, doesn't it mate.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
SomeGuy
Unicorn

When people ask me what I was doing on 9/11... where I was at, I'm always ashamed to tell the truth. I was in 5th grade, we were reading a book about the holocaust, Number the Stars or something, when a teacher came in and said "Mrs. Vaughn, I think you need to hear about this." The teacher left the room and came back and called us all down into the library. The news was on the TV and we all sat down to see what had happened. We watched as they showed footage of the planes crashing into the two towers, and all I can remember was that I had a little paper machet frog, and I sat playing with it the whole time, so much that the teacher got onto me for it.

I still feel pretty bad because I didn't take it seriously, maybe I didn't want to and it was just my way of trying not to worry about it. Looking back it makes me think a little more and I wonder what it had been like for a lot of the people there and those who lost someone close to them. How would I have reacted to that?
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
Amphetamine Machine
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was asleep, someone called me and told me.
I turned on the TV, watched the replay of the secind plane hit. Then I went back to sleep.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #10
Lavindathar
Harper

At least theres honesty there Someguy.

And it doenst matter whether you paid attention or not...to be honest, i'd play with a paper machet frog.

And I guess your not too arsed AM! lol.