Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-19-2001, 10:48 PM   #1
frostgiantsson
Dungeon Master

Help. I'm up to the final fight with Irenicus and his demon cohort in hell (aren't they supposed to be devils in hell, and demons in the abyss?). I can't win!! I have prepared with every spell in my books, and they're kicking my butt. It keeps looking like I killed him, but he keeps coming back.

Any special tips?

I have all the protection from evil (btw: doesn't seem to stop the demons), chants, strength potions, heroisms, hastes, etc. I even have summoned some undead and two sililacrums (spelling?) as fodder. I hit the slayer with Ruby Ray, Piece Magic, and Breach, left and right.

Help!!! Please!!!

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2001, 10:53 PM   #2
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

My advice is too run away while he is casting spells luring the deamons with you, after you have taken out the deamons one by one, heal everyone and attack Irenicus with any character who has good magic resistance (paladins with carsomr, Viconia, monk), wait for him to use up all his spells and then when he attacks you lead him back to the rest of you party and hit him with your most powerfull spells and fighters.

BTW: What lvl are you on, if your not hitting 15 ot 16 I would suggest going back to a savegame and searching for a few more quests...
Old 08-19-2001, 10:56 PM   #3
frostgiantsson
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace Flashheart:
My advice is too run away while he is casting spells luring the deamons with you, after you have taken out the deamons one by one, heal everyone and attack Irenicus with any character who has good magic resistance (paladins with carsomr, Viconia, monk), wait for him to use up all his spells and then when he attacks you lead him back to the rest of you party and hit him with your most powerfull spells and fighters.

BTW: What lvl are you on, if your not hitting 15 ot 16 I would suggest going back to a savegame and searching for a few more quests...

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm about 15-16 (barely making the cut!).

Are you saying that Irenicus/Slayer won't follow if I run away, but the demons will? If so, which way would you suggest to run? Also, any thoughts on why "protection from evil 10'" doesn't seem to keep the demons away?

Thanks again, because of you my wife and I might speak again...

Old 08-19-2001, 11:30 PM   #4
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Start by summoning "mordikans sword(sp)" or an invisible stalker and have it attack slayer....then concentrate on taking out all of the demons (one at a time with everyone in your party attacking one and then moving to the next). They will fall pretty quickly and then you can go after slayer. I did this and my invisible stalker had slayer backed into a corner and had taken 0 damage. It was actually a pretty easy fight and I was a bit disappointed, but hey it worked

Good luck!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Old 08-20-2001, 01:19 PM   #5
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

It's the AI, when he's casting a spell he not attacking you so if you leave the area that Irenicus can see he won't be able to chase you becasue he doesn't know where you are leaving you to take out the deamons... also Moridin has a good suggestion, as you can use a summoned creature to keep him busy as you scarper.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:12 PM   #6
Gil-Galad
The Magister

Don't worry about the demons, mate. Summon some monsters to get their attention, and then strike Jon with all thet you have (Breach, True Sight, Khelben's Warding Whip, Spell Thrust, Pierce Magic, and Dispel Magic for stun, confusion imposed on your fighters). The demons will die when you have taught that evil dude a lesson or two about righteousness!

But this will all seem like a stroll in the park, compared to ToB...Please pass this warning on to your wife...
Old 08-20-2001, 08:24 PM   #7
frostgiantsson
Dungeon Master

Thanks to all so far, but HELP HELP HELP.

I listened to some combination of the above, killed all the demons easiliy, and was left with the Slayer/Irenicus. I kicked his arse using the strategies outlined above (lots of various dispelling magic, combined w/ serious melee damage).

Then, he turned back into Irenicus, and stayed "Near Death" for 45 minutes as I inflicted 1000s of HPs of damage. Eventually, I turned the machine off. I tried all varieties of damage I could think of.

Very frustrating and seriously anti-climactic. PLEASE HELP. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:17 PM   #8
Kitty
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by frostgiantsson:

I listened to some combination of the above, killed all the demons easiliy, and was left with the Slayer/Irenicus. I kicked his arse using the strategies outlined above (lots of various dispelling magic, combined w/ serious melee damage).

Then, he turned back into Irenicus, and stayed "Near Death" for 45 minutes as I inflicted 1000s of HPs of damage. Eventually, I turned the machine off. I tried all varieties of damage I could think of.

It happened to me twice. In the second time, I found out that this happens if you continue smashing the Slayer in the exact moment he turns back into Irenicus. Normally, when the Slayer is enough injured, the fight ends, he transforms into Jon Irenicus and the game is finished; however, I think there's a bug that can sometimes occur. Try turning off AI and pausing often, especially when you see the Slayer is "near death".
hope this helps,
Kitty

Old 08-20-2001, 09:25 PM   #9
frostgiantsson
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Kitty:
Quote:

It happened to me twice. In the second time, I found out that this happens if you continue smashing the Slayer in the exact moment he turns back into Irenicus. Normally, when the Slayer is enough injured, the fight ends, he transforms into Jon Irenicus and the game is finished; however, I think there's a bug that can sometimes occur. Try turning off AI and pausing often, especially when you see the Slayer is "near death".
hope this helps,
Kitty

Wow is that annoying (not your response which was very helpful, but to have a bug in the finale...).

Old 08-21-2001, 10:20 AM   #10
Milio
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Also, any thoughts on why "protection from evil 10'" doesn't seem to keep the demons away?
I noticed this too. It makes me very, very angry.

Casting a Sphere of Chaos seems to do away with most of the demons though.