Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Default Question: So, I've got a kitten now...

As a Christmas gift to my fiance, we got a 6 week old kitten.

It came from a friend that found her in a litter in a parking lot when their mom had them, unfortunately, she was hit by someone. He found the litter and has been keeping them healthy the last month and a half, so as a new cat owner (originally a dog person), I've got a couple of questions.

They were all pretty runty, Dinks is actually small enough to fit into the palm of my hand. Not sure if that's normal for young kittens, not that I expect them to be huge, but I'm wondering how long it'll be before she can actually get big enough to wander about the house freely without getting wedged into something or getting lost in my son's toy box.

Also, we think she has a birth defect with her paw or maybe something broken. She walks on it sideways, how much older (or bigger) would she have to be to maybe have it casted?
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Re: Question: So, I've got a kitten now...

early kittens can be tiny. I've seen newborns barely the size of a stick of butter. Not sure about the size they should be at 6 weeks. That's about as much as I know about cats, aside from if they hiss at you they mean business.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

well.. I have no clue about cats/kittens/tigers- but I do know that I think its awesome you named it Dinks.
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

This is the gift that keeps on taking, so to speak. You really need to use the services of a vet, especially concerning the paw. There will be the initial monetary investment to get Dinks up to snuff,,fix the paw, shots(you simply MUST vacinate against feline leukemia), and spay/neuter. Once this is done, they are pretty low maintenance. Train them to eat cheap food, both wet and dry, and change water ever so often. You will need TWO litter pans, preferably not in the same spot, and check/scoop litter every couple of days. They like cat toys, especially ones that have catnip. If you do all this, your cat should be a healthy and happy INDOOR cat, and live for a long time. If you make Dinks an outdoor cat, then she will probably not live past 5-7 yrs., will get in fights, and will most certainly be flea ridden.

Once you have done the above, you will find that you can take short trips (4-5 days), and not have to worry about the cat. Just provide extra DRY food and extra water bowls. Cats don't gorge like dogs, so won't eat up all their food the first day. Also cats don't require the daily walk for pooping/exercise purposes. Enjoy your cat!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.

Last edited by ElfBane; 12-26-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: gender
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I know nothing about young cats, sadly. Our cat, I wasn't even born until she was about four, and weadopted her after my gran's death when she was15 or 16.
So... If you have any questions concerning older cats, I can help you there.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion

I agree with Elfbane that Dinks should be primarily an indoor cat - you are saving both Dinks and the environment. And you get a lot more time for cuddles as she's not outside hunting!

It's a good idea to confine brand new kittens to a room or two for the first little while, preferably one with you in it so she gets a chance to get to know and trust you. Once she's 12-14 weeks she will be considerably bigger and more sensible. When I got my kitten (8 yrs ago!!) we had to block off so much stuff - I remember taping cardboard to block off the tunnels of my dad's train set - fun! Definitely take her to the vet about her paw. Also don't wait until she's 6 months to get her spayed as is often suggested, especially if she has access to outside - cats can start having kittens considerably earlier than that and you don't want to have a bunch more unwanted kittens.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

At 6 weeks the first vet visit is due. She should get her first series of shots, a overall check-up, as well, have the paw checked out. Vet and state dependent, you may need more shots again at 9 weeks, and most certainly at 12 weeks, which is when she will get the feline leukemia shot. 16 weeks expect to get the rabies shot, and schedule for spaying.

3-6 months, spaying time. Please, do not have her declawed. Get a good quality claw clipper, and have the vet assistant teach you how to trim her claws. A spritzer bottle with plain water is a good tool to teach where not to claw. However, provide her with her very own clawing post, climbing house, and her own bed. Eddifix enjoys boxes, but sleeps well in his kennel cab (a nice comfy towel for cushioning) in his "bathroom".

Then on to a annual schedule for the 3 in 1 booster shot, and dental exam / cleaning.

Human contact frequently, and often will allow her to settle down and become comfortable. But do not force the issue, allow her to decide how much and frequency.

Two thoughts for night time:
1. Allow them to roam the house uninhibited.
2. Lock them down in a small room with litter box.

Our house cat cannot be left alone for weekend trips, either he travels with us, or gets boarded, he has equidae over indulgence and will eat the entire supply of food in one sitting, then as cats do, regurgitate it, and will repeat the process. To prevent this, make a forceful feeding habit by placing the entire daily portion in her bowl, do not giver her any extra, any remaining the next morning, toss out, and start fresh. Two days with about the same amount remaining, reduce serving size by that amount. At 18.2 lbs, Eddifix (Edd-i-fix) does not get a warm welcome from the vet. Nor does the spousal unit, whom is completely responsible for his current situation.

Water, cats drink an enormous amount of water for their size.

Our porch cats were born in July, and are just now growing to a decent size. They visit the vet January 15th for a complete outside cat check-up, and 5 for 1 fixing operation, thou two now are showing they are males.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

A canvas sack and a stream,pond,lake,etc. That should do it for the cat. Hare Krishna!
Old 12-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

Don't for get about getting her used to beeing groomed. Start with a soft brush and let her sniff it alot before using it. Same with baths. She is small enough to hold in your palm, you can pretty much control her as you wish. It will help cut down dander in your house, its a good bonding time and our cat likes it ( she's 11) and purrs the whole time ( she is due infact). Just make sure you close off the room with the litter box until she is completely dry as well or she will get 2 baths.... Another thing that is great is a tape lint roller ( I would wait until she is ~ 8 months). It acts like a big tongue and pulls off a bunch of loose hair. My wife worked retail for years and accidently rolled our cat once when she was by her getting ready for work and she loves it. Our cat will let you know when she is not done with one side ( grabs the roller and hold).
Old 12-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Good advice toot!