Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-19-2002, 08:05 PM   #21
DreamU
Elite Waterdeep Guard

1) The Underdark was too dark - stumbling around trying to find a pathway is just annoying.

2) Reloading. Why can't we have a Retreat option and stay in the game? Bodhi certainly retreated often enough - till that last encounter (Off topic - but killing her was GREAT).

3) No options to raise your abilities like in BGI.

4) A few too many ambushes....

5) Some long cut-scenes and such leading to a battle where you lose and its replay the whole scene.
DreamU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 08:17 PM   #22
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Morgan_Corbesant:
i hate the damn dream sequences. they suck, they take forever, and i have seen them so many damn times that it makes me want to vomit. i actually leave the room to go poop or get a beer, or pop, or something to eat, or check the mail, etc. when one of them comes on. it pisses me off to no end. i also think that every class, and some kits need to have kit specific strongholds. as the man said, why would a monk need a castle? the same for barbarians. a barbarian is nomadic, he wont live in a castle, let alone own one. he should get a plot of land (a LARGE plot) so he can hunt on it, and live there in peace if he so wishes.

At the very least the Barbarian should have the ranger stronghold, I can see even an evil barbarian doing the pro-nature quests to keep his land safe, if only so that he can crush those who live there himself, altho it would be a more combat oriented one, like proving himself in mortal combat(Faldorn pitfight style).
Old 02-19-2002, 09:01 PM   #23
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

BGII is the best game ever, but...
1. I agree with everyone else that the cutscenes are horrible. I just cringe everytime that Irenicus walks off wit his arm around Imoen.
2. I know that I must gather my party before venturing forth!
3. I loathe the bug that installing TOB puts in Ust'Natha, so that you can't fool the Matron Mother any more. I know that there's a bugfix, but it doesn't work for me (or for my stepson, who's still trying to make it work.
4. Killing Bodhi makes all of these things worthwhile.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:38 AM   #24
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

for me the worst thing about both bg1 and 2, which are otherwise brilliant in scope and detail, is the atrocious enemy AI.

i don't blame the developers as much as i do the publisher, who, as usual in the make-as-much-money-as-fast-as-possible world, rushed the production and the AI was the greatest casualty. it's not like complex, intelligent scripts aren't possible; take a look at some of the mods, or the two yahoo groups that are totally devoted to just scripting. smart beholders (that won't target immune characters after a few unsuccessful attacks), enemy missile units that go after poorly armored characters, swarm attacking on tough characters, MUCH improved spell-casting (notice how enemy mages NEVER cast breach?), and so on.

fortunately, places like teambg do exist with people who feel the same way so the problem, like annoying cutscenes, can be alleviated if you can trouble yourself to learn a bit of editing. for the plug and play consumer, however, the problems will remain.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:39 AM   #25
Link
Jack Burton

Wow! This is a lot of replies already, and I most of the times I know what you guys are talking about. Thanks for explaining the deal with the Bhaalspawn, Wedin, I didn't know about that. And it really makes me curious about why Imoen is resurrectable.

I've got some new ones (mainly because of the ones named by you guys):
1) You must gather your party before venturing forth. I really hate that sentence! It mostly happens because one of my party members, which is more often my main char. DOH!, takes the wrong route..
2) My second point I've named already. Characters walking the wrong way, once or twice. I've noticed it in BG1, and I've noticed it in BG2.. It really gets on your nerves, especially when you're about to "venture forth".
3) Ambushes rarely pose a threat to you, and the loot they have is often not even worth it. That really bugs me, cos you could have been a lot further in the game, if not ambushed.
4) The fight with Jon Irenicus (SPOILER: In Suldanesselar) is really an easy one. I mean; at the start, when you're still in his dungeon, then he kills a lot of Cowled Enforcers, certainly not the most least magic users! I surely expected more from him...
5) The dungeon of Irenicus itself gets really irritating after a while. I could practically dream that dungeon.. Turning off the Mephit thingie.. Man, I really hate that part, especially since I have to start all over again, cos I made a tiny mistake in the presettings; turning myself female instead of male.. Doh! [img]smile.gif[/img]

That's about it, although I'm pretty sure I can come up with some more. Don't think I hate the game now, I really don't! It's the best game I've played so far, no doubt about it! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 10:27 AM   #26
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

Hmmm. Bad things about BG2. There arent many. I'll tell you what really pisses me off though! Imoen. She never shuts up. Whine whine whine whine whine. SHUT UP!!! [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] Another thing is that there are no straight Thiefs which dont die in the game. And also that there arent any good Fighters. And that Druids take ages to get to level 14. Whats up with that. Do they get any bonus'? Cuz if they do I will take that one back. There are a few other annoying things but nothing really crap.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:57 AM   #27
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Barlik Longbeard:
I'll tell you what really pisses me off though! Imoen. She never shuts up. Whine whine whine whine whine. SHUT UP!!!

Tell me, Barlik, do _you_ have a sister? [img]smile.gif[/img]
antonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 03:30 PM   #28
Link
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Barlik Longbeard:
Hmmm. Bad things about BG2. There arent many. I'll tell you what really pisses me off though! Imoen. She never shuts up. Whine whine whine whine whine. SHUT UP!!! [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] Another thing is that there are no straight Thiefs which dont die in the game. And also that there arent any good Fighters. And that Druids take ages to get to level 14. Whats up with that. Do they get any bonus'? Cuz if they do I will take that one back. There are a few other annoying things but nothing really crap.

Are you sure you're talking about Imoen, not about Aerie?

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 03:41 PM   #29
Meanal
Dungeon Master

What do you mean do you mean aerie this is what i think

aerie = to weak and soppy, will you shut up about your wings

Jaheira = moan moan moan such a party pooper, if you try shout at me again i will be forced to kill you

Imoen = wa wa wa cry baby, if you want to go home so much go home

Nalia = ohh give to the poor, dont tell me to give all my money away to beggars

Viconia = well no problem here
Old 02-20-2002, 04:19 PM   #30
Avalon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Its got to be these three things,

1. Ridiculously daft looking paper dolls
2. No worthwile thief, unless you play yourself
3. The ease at which you can turn Dragons from hulking great vicious monsters into little less than a pile of goo!

Ta