Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-31-2002, 02:06 PM   #1
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

i have been trying to reinstall bg2 on my compter but it's a no go.the first disk d/l fine but when it asks for the second disk,i put it in,it will immediately ask for the third disk,then the fourth.i've been wanting to try the darkest day and it's beginning make me feel a bit like going into a berserker rage.i heard that it might be because the hard drive had been partitioned once(which did send me into a berserker rage.my nephew did it without asking).there's only so many ways i can thoroughly trounce bg1,totsc,and dsotsc.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 01:32 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I have had the same problem... it is a registry problem with the initial instalation... I have yet to resolve this, but after trying EVERYTHING bioware suggest, and clearing out the registry of everything Bioware, Baldurs Gate, Interplay, and Black Isle, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to reinstall is to format your hard drive...

If you are ever going to uninstall reinstall again, download and run the official patch- this is one of the issues it addresses... unfortunately you need BG2 installed to run it.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 07:38 AM   #3
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

I dont know how much help this will be but, you might need something like Norton Utilities to make sure your registry is clean. If you have it run WinDoctor. If you dont you can get it from www.tucows.com

Or you might be able to dl it from KaZaA or Morpheus. Either way the file will be just over 44 meg. If you get the file thats 3.8 meg THATS THE UPDATE....

Also, at tucows, theres a file called Disk CleanUp. This handy little program takes a long time to run but what it does is physicly clean your hard drive by rewriting your "free" space.

By uninstalling programs all you are doing is removing them from the registry. The actual data is STILL on the hard drive. Hence, problems.

The U.S. government (i.e. CIA, FBI ect.,) have set a standard for destroying data by overwriting it BEYOND software recovery. Disk CleanUp (not the one that comes with Windows) can be set to overwrite data up to 10 times I believe it is. When its finished your disk is as about as clean as when you bought it. Dont worry, it wont remove files that arent uninstalled. Theres an option for that as well but lets stick to basics. The government standard is to overwrite the data 7 times. I run it at 10 once per month.

Download it, set it up, go to bed and check it in the morning.

I dont know if that will be the cure for you but short of reformatting and all that, its worth a shot.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:29 AM   #4
Locutas
Welcomed New User

Im having the same prob on my other compter as well....BUT it also askes for disk 5 which dosn't exsist....Any one have any other ideas ????
Locutas
Old 02-01-2002, 11:48 AM   #5
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

By unistalling some software, you don't not only remove the registry key of the software but also delete ist from your harddrive. But deleting does actually mean, that the file isn't removed from the harddrive, but only the area, in which the data is stored, can be overwritten again. So, if you delete some files, with a discdoctor, you have good chances, to recover parts of your data. Thus, the more often you write something new on you hd, the bigger is the chance to write on some cluster, which contains some "deleted" data.
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 01:02 PM   #6
Guk73
Dungeon Master

I had similar problems after installing Norton SystemWorks. Apparently, WinDoctor doesn't like BG and screwed things up for me. I had to go into my registry and manually extract files.

Worked fine after that.

P.S. Don't delete your saved game file!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2002, 07:42 PM   #7
salom
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i had the same problem with bg1 and ended up selling it i wish i new about this sight then.
salom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 10:03 PM   #8
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I have tried all of these things previous to this, to no avail. Diskcleanup I do quite a bit... what it realy does is not to rewrite ur free space, but to give you more by clearing out certain things such as your temporay internet files, and your recycle bin...
We have gone through the registry manually aswell, and we cant find anything else that could be the problem.. I know that for the variation i have, the only solution is going to be to format...

But i have just remembered something which may work- a system restore to get it back. If you uninstalled recently, try this.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 07:00 PM   #9
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

thanks for your help.it seems that my h/d is damaged.oh well,i was going to buy a new one anyway.20 gigs is way too small.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 05:43 AM   #10
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

this happened to me as well. assuming you don't have a mac, do this

start menu
run: regedit
open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
open Software
look for the Bioware folder and delete it