Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 03-13-2001, 01:40 AM   #1
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hiya,

Gosh I love this new thread, so I wanted to ask, anyone whose played Wiz 7 (since its closest to Wiz 8), please post your best secrets or hints.

Mine would have to be with Firearms. When I got to the Umpani's town, I tried my luck at the Firing Range, but soon got frusterated. First it costs me THOUSANDS for a measly Musket, but to top it off, I cant hit the broad side of a barn with the blasted thing (heh).

I finally was about to give up on getting three bullseyes, but then I took notice of something. My Firearms skill would go up by 1 every time my character shot the gun, whether he hit or not. One battle I had my Samurai equipped with a Musket in each hand, and mistakenly told him to attack again after he was out of ammo. Oddly enough, though it said "misfire" or something of the like since the gun could not fire without powder and shot, I still got an increase in Firearms skill.

So, what I did was wait for some weak enemy to attack (by spinning in circles of course, why walk when you can DO THE TWIST!), ie a pack of Spectral Ravens worked the best. I'd have my high level magic users put them to sleep with a level 6 spell which knocked them comatose for many rounds.

Next, with Musket in each hand, I'd have the would be Clint Eastwood attack with the ammo-less guns, over and over. Re stun the Ravens, etc, etc. In less than 30 minutes, my character had 98 in Firearms skill.

I went back to the shooting range, and got three bullseyes on my first try. Then, the Blunderbuss! Held two shots, and each twices as strong as the musket, which for early on in the game, isnt too shabby of a weapon. Of course, you have to shell out about 15,000 gold for it, but thats another story!

So, what I deduced was that you need to have a Firearms skill of at least 90 to sucessfully nail the triple bullseye. And once your skill is this high, you rarely miss enemies with guns, be it muskets or Laser Pistols.

I know a lot of players didnt like the technology with "Ye Olde RPGe" concept, but it used to give me a kick in the pants. I'd have my Ninjas and Samurais hacking away with Katanas, my Monk with his bare hands, and then from the back rank, BLAMMO! My Lord busts out the Blunderbuss, and blows a T'Rang to bits. It was just too much fun! Heh!

That's probably one of my better lame and useless tricks, anyone else? Saz, I know you've got a few up your sleeve!

Scronan
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 02:04 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

On aiming: I was able to hit 3 bullseyes, but only with my ranger who had a dex of 20 at the time. It did take a lot of reloading, but I got the TUFS badge (for all it was worth!) So Dex also bears greatly on it.

Another VERY good tip with the Umpani: When you obtain the Thermal Pineapple from the Umpani General (Yamo?), have a character who knows the "Recharge" spell start charging it up. It's best to do this standing at a mana fountain (the one under the Cathedral at New City was good for this). Save before each charging, and charge it up to 99 charges. Each charge is good for a 6th level Nuclear Blast spell. Now, you can use it anywhere, not just on the T'Rang eggs. Just make sure to keep track of how many times you've used it and charge it back up before you get down to 1.

Next?

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 02:08 AM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

One other tip: At the start of the game, you can get to the big Mana fountain under the Cathedral if you tell the Monk in the Cathedral of New City that you want the "Holy Sacrament." (You get this keyword much later in the game, but it works early on, too). Make sure you ask him for "Guidance" before you do this, though. He'll open up the right-hand door and let you into the area where you have the big healing-mana charge fountain, AND the chest with the Legend Map (if you get to it soon enough, you can get it before anyone else does; it's the only map that's really "necessary" to complete the game).

-Sazerac
Old 03-13-2001, 11:01 AM   #4
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Saz

So, Dexterity was more of the key? I did this really early on in the game, I think my characters were pretty low level and didnt have super high stats at that time. Well, its a good way to get high Firearms skill anyway.

And your hint about the healing fountain early on, that's how I levelled up so fast. Just sit around outside of there, spin in circles, fight random munks, and then level up, change class, and repeat. Took me about a week as I recall to get the super characters. It is quite nice to have all party members unleash a level Nuclear Blast in sucession, it usually gets rid of most monsters.

That's a great tip about the thermal pineapple! Very cool indeed. I do recall a money making tip I found (not a gold cheat). I believe I was in the Temple of Dane where I kept bumping into Xheng and Jan-Ette, and perhaps a few other NPCs. I think it was Xheng that was selling me cheap high level weapons, but another NPC would buy them from you for twice what you paid. So, to make a long story short (I forgot some of the details of how I did this, I might have it written down somewhere), I kept buying and selling and ended up with a nice chunk of gold. It didn't do me much good really.

Scronan
Old 03-13-2001, 07:03 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Gold isn't a problem in Wizardry 7 that is was in Wizards and Warriors (DW Bradley, what WERE you thinking?) However, that is a good idea about the buying and trading items. Paluke was always good for selling things to, as was Argus (or whatever that Umpani's name was that had the Arms of Argus shoppe). However, the best items in the game I found, rather than bought. I saved my money for Moser's Mojo Teas in Munkharama, then, later in the Dane tower when I got the Mana stone (from the room with all the "deadly coffers"), I kept that charged to the max and had virtually unlimited mana for my spellcasters.

-Sazerac
Old 03-13-2001, 07:07 PM   #6
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Saz,

Maybe I missed the boat on the recharging thing, but can you explain how it works? I remember getting the mana stone, but I dont think I "charged it". Also the whatchamacalit of Divinity, I was never sure of its purpose.

But I agree, the best items were found, mostly from the Gorror's treasure chests and other high ranking monsters.

I used the gold to buy Ankhs from the Sky Queen lady (forget her name), and some of the expensive amulets and such she had. Beyond that, it was pretty useless near the end of the game.

Scronan
Old 03-13-2001, 09:14 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

The Recharge spell was one of my favorites in the game. I think it was Divine magic (the one where all the healing spells were).

To recharge an item, you had to have at least 1 charge left in the item to replicate. Because a flubbed recharge could destroy the item, you want to save the game before attempting the recharge. Also, it's best to have a character high in Karma to do the recharge (has something to do with Luck....)

Best strategy: Find a fountain (like the one in Father Rulae's dungeon in New City), stand at it, and charge up the item until your mana is all gone, then drink from the fountain to replenish your mana. Repeat. Have one of your characters cast "Identify" on the item from time to time to see how many charges you're at. You can only charge up to 99, so when you get it to 99, stop.

This works on all chargeable items.

BTW, I realized later looking at the save game files in a hex editor that the Light Key and the Diamond Ring are both "chargeable" items with 1 charge each. This is something I didn't know during the game. Now, if one was to charge these items, could the Key and Ring be used multiple times to get all the Sacred Items from the Hall of Preservation?

That in itself would be worth playing through to find out.

-Sazerac
Old 03-13-2001, 11:27 PM   #8
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Saz,

Hmm, you know I dont think that I ever used that spell! Actually, I have over 100 saves from all over my stages of playing, and I'm sure I have one right where you get the sacred items. I'll research this tonight and let you know...btw, would you like to trade save files? That might be fun.

Great hints Saz! I'm learning some great stuff, wish I'd known you back in the day!

Scronan
Old 03-14-2001, 12:21 AM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Scronan: as soon as I get a save file worth trading, I'll be glad to do so! As it is, all my old ones are either lost or corrupt (bad floppies).

I'll see if I can remember any other goodies that helped me along the way as well.

-Sazerac
Old 03-14-2001, 01:05 AM   #10
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Saz,

Well, I wouldn't mind sharing some of mine, I have 150 of them!

I just ran through a few, here is what I found:

1. My party was only around level 20 when they took on the Gorrors! No wonder they were so tough, but I did take them all out save the 1000 eye'd freak! I tried him a few times, man, even got a Godzylli to come out, but I couldnt do much. I think if I went back with my party at level 30, they'd fare much better!

2. I found a save where I was standing outside the room with the 6 Goodies, and the Light Key in hand. No dice, couldnt recharge it! Without cheating, I dont think there is a way.

Also, how did you get an item to charge up to 99, if it was only supposed to have 6 shots...does it just keep charging them up? Also, I never got the Ring in Bane, so did you side with the Bad guys? I cant remember who was who in that game, but I sure dont recall getting that ring.

Well, Wiz 7 is fun to mess around with, but I'm sure ready for Wiz 8. It will be awesome to see my characters come back to life again.

Scronan