Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2002, 09:19 AM   #1
Jon Smallberries
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My party is roughly level 9/10. My problem is that my Mage and Priest are getting only 1 spell per level up. I just re-read the manual and it looks like I should have been pumping points into Wizardry and Divinity from the get go; as it is, I've somewhat neglected these skills.

My question is, is it too late? I really, really don't want to restart, but will I be hopelessly crippled since these skills have been pretty much ignored till now? I'm going to guess I'm in the 20-30 range (don't have my characters in front of me). At what level will I start to get more than 1 spell per level up?

Many thanks!
Jon Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 10:12 AM   #2
MagiK

I have very high wizardry and divinity on my two bishops and never get more than one pick per level up course Im 16th level and I have used a lot of books to learn spells.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:30 AM   #3
Jon Smallberries
Elite Waterdeep Guard

That's interesting... The manual never comes out and says you'll get more spells with higher Wizardry skill, but it strongly implies that such is the case:

quote:
Mastery Skills: The four magical mastery skills - Wizardry, Alchemy, Psionics, and Divinity - primarily determine the caster's ability to learn spells from his or her spellbook. A mage with a high Wizardry skill, for instance, would be able to learn spells much more quickly than a mage who decided to put his skill points into pole & staff instead. (emphasis added)

Anyone out there getting more than one spell per level up? The fact that the spellbook screen has a counter on it implies that you can get more than one - can anyone confirm?
Old 01-11-2002, 10:39 AM   #4
*C*
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have a lvl 12 fire mage and he has only 3 spells!!! But in all my other "less" used spell circles he has like 10.
Kinda sucks. I wish they would have warned me that mages can't use fire.
*C* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:03 AM   #5
Vaprakgruumsh
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, both my mage and my priest both got 2 spells in one level - but only once. When they hit either level 12 or 13 it was. No one else has apparently gotten this - and it makes me wonder now and second guess myself. (Because it wasn't the Portal spell that I got when I got 2 spells). :/
Old 01-11-2002, 11:43 AM   #6
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have four magic users pushing level 30 with maxxed magic skills in their main areas, and none has ever received more than one spell point on level up.

Learning spells faster doesn't mean more spell points per level, it means that higher-level spells are available sooner.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:58 AM   #7
fable
Quintesson

I've found the manual misleading more than once or twice on some important matters, and this is one of the key examples. Spellcasters will only receive 1 new spell choice per level. It never gets any higher.

As for Wizardry and Divinity, don't worry about it. Those two tend to rise rapidly with regular casting of nearly anything. I've found that casting the basic protection spells (like Armorplate, Missile Shield, Enchanted Blade, Magic Shield, hell, even Light) build these two skills. Of course, that's only when you need 'em; you get nothing if you cast 'em over and over again while they're still active. The game is wise that way.

One quick way of raising Wizardry and Divinity is to seek out battles in a secure area. I did that for several levels in Arnika. It's a great place to buff skills, since you're safe and can rest in any dwelling.

Be sure to raise Intellect and Piety for your mage, and Piety for your Priest. Piety in particular has an effect on the speed with which learned spells improve through use.

Hope that helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 12:10 PM   #8
Jon Smallberries
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Interesting - the manual is indeed misleading on this issue. Guess I don't have to worry about it after all.

Overall, i'm pretty happy with my current party:

M Dracon Fighter
F Felpurr Samurai
M Rawulf Lord
M Dwarf Priest
F Fairy Mage
M Hobbit Bard (formerly Rogue)

Throw in Myles and Vi (and some handy Ironworks tips on how to use terrain!) and I've been cleaning up in Arnika and am on the way back to the monastery. Most fun I've had is beating the living bejeezus out of almost 20 Highwaymen, Rogues, and Brigands on the Arnika road. Back into a crevise, blow that Angel's Tongue, add a dash or two of fireball, bada-bing bada-boom, 5K exp [img]smile.gif[/img]

Fun for the whole family...
Old 01-11-2002, 02:28 PM   #9
Cybernerd
Welcomed New User

Once my bishop got two spells on a level up. It's been a while, but I think that it was a period when it took lots of exp to level up, and she significantly improved her divinity (or something like that) between levels. You might get rewarded with a second spell if you have exceptional growth in your stats between levels. Just a thought.
Cybernerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 02:44 PM   #10
DraconisRex

Appendix I: Magic Spells, Page 104 has a list of the Mage's Spellbook, by level. Column two is the Realm. These are your Fire Spells:

Level 1: Energy Blast
Light
Level 3: Fireball
Level 6: Firestorm
Level 7: Nuclear Blast

By realm there are the following number of spells (for a mage):

Fire = 5; Water = 6; Air = 9; Earth = 6; Mental = 6, Divine = 5.

Air is the most important Realm as that is where your Portal spell originates.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote