Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 04:08 PM   #11
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I guess it depend on people's reading abilities.

He would have to double the number of characters and plot to start confusing me.

I have a good memory for books. Sometime I'll be talking with a friend about a book he just read, and I'll have read it 6 months or so ago, and I'll remember everything better than him, names, plot, everything.

[ 10-12-2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 10-12-2004, 08:01 PM   #12
ScottG
Drow Warrior

It depends more on memory.. which is usually dependent upon desire - IF you really connect with most of the characters in the book then you'll likely remember them.

It also depends on how many other books you have read (in total), and how many you have read between the last book and the next one. Personally I don't buy hardbacks so that means I must wait up to 2+years for the next novel - in that time I forget a lot and have read a LOT of books.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 03:36 AM   #13
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I usually don't forget what I read in books.

You might have to get me in the right mood by recaping the first chapter or so, but once I'm back in the world, I'll be able to give you every little details and character names.

More than that. I never read book 2 and 3 of the Lord of the Rings, I never even finished the first one, but my father read it, and after every chapter he would tell me what happened. That was before the movies, and I know the world better than him.

When we talked about it, I'd be the one saying "No, you're wrong, it happened "like this" and to "that" guy". I know the characters and events better than him. When I talked to people that had read them, I knew so much about it they thought I had read them. I even reminded them of some points.

Reading is my passion. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I also good at remembering movies. Basically, I just like living other worlds. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 04:19 AM   #14
ScottG
Drow Warrior

I used to come close to that level memory with books - and still do for certain books that really stand-out. (I vividly remember "burning" through Louise Cooper's trilogy: The Initiate, The Outcast, and The Master all in one night over a decade and a half ago.)

But now that I've read upwards of 5k (in number) worth of fantasy/Sci-Fi books (and about that in school and prof. books), my memory just isn't that detailed anymore. I wish it was though.. On the other hand I remember movies better, but probably because I watch a lot fewer in a year (or it could be because its mixed-media).

Hmm, I wouldn't be at all surpised if you don't read the books over again (..I didn't when I had that kind of memory).

Just last night I started into the recent paper-back release of Janny Wurt's "Peril's Gate" (from the Curse of the Mistwraith series). In its own way this series is every bit as good as the WOT (some better and some worse). Hopefully Brust's "Sethra Lavode" will be out soon, and the next Silver Talon book from Ray E. Feist..
Old 10-13-2004, 05:30 AM   #15
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I really love reading, I wish I could read more books.

Sadly, english books are rare, I can't just rent them. I have to travel 100+ kilometers to the closest english bookstore, and I can't afford many of them...

I read french books, but there are very little Fantasy books originally wrote in french, and translations take time. So my french reading is not as interesting.

A few months ago I was bored so I re-read the wheel of time series.

I was effraid that since I had already read it it would not be as good, but it turn out I had lots of fun. When I read I put myself in a receptive neutral state and think about nothing, I just read the book. I don't even analyse it, I just live it. So it didn't make much difference that I had read them already.

I bought book 1 and 2 of the Sword of Truth series, but I know if I start reading them it won't be enough to satisfy me and I'll want more, so they've been sitting there for months because I can't afford them, and when I do they are never in stock.

Talking about missing books, I lent my first wheel of time novel to my neighboor. I told her I knew that most of the time when you lend a book you never see it again, and I care about those books, and asked her to pay exra atention to it.

She gave me an offended look and told me she was not like that, then moved away with it...

I also lent the last Song of Ice and Fire novel. I hope it get back to me...
Old 10-13-2004, 03:00 PM   #16
ScottG
Drow Warrior

"Talking about missing books, I lent my first wheel of time novel to my neighboor. I told her I knew that most of the time when you lend a book you never see it again, and I care about those books, and asked her to pay exra atention to it."

Thats Hilarious.. I do the same thing - even down to keeping a list of who checked out what and when AND telling them not to open the book to much so that they don't break the binding..
Old 10-13-2004, 11:23 PM   #17
DBear
Drow Warrior

My experience with WoT:

first trilogy: awesome!
second trilogy: ok
third trilogy: zzzzzzz
fourth trilogy: fuhgeddit!

Robert Jordan just let in way too many characters. I'm hoping the same thing won't happen to George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire". Mebbe that's why it's taken him over 4 years and counting to write the next book.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:01 AM   #18
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DBear:
My experience with WoT:

first trilogy: awesome!
second trilogy: ok
third trilogy: zzzzzzz
fourth trilogy: fuhgeddit!

Robert Jordan just let in way too many characters. I'm hoping the same thing won't happen to George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire". Mebbe that's why it's taken him over 4 years and counting to write the next book.
I really liked the extra characters and storylines that got added late. I really wish he would make seperate books about them.