Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Blockbuster will cease to exist within 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretMaster View Post
Maybe its because I rarely watch movies, but how many people actually rent movies? Maybe I'm underestimating the market, but I just don't see it as a popular thing.
There was a time when I was renting enough movies to have five or six per week, but I've slowed down to three or four recently. I have even gone a full week and only seen two that week, but that is the least I've done. Netflix opens up an ease of availability to some old movies I've never seen, old movies I'd forgotten about, new releases every week, and international movies that I have recently discovered. I've seen many movies in other languages with subtitles, and loved everyone of them. I never had the option before at obtaining so many varieties. I really like how Netflix has the online reviews and ratings that help me decide what to rent. I would otherwise have passed up many movies that have become some of my favorites just because I knew nothing of them otherwise.

Maybe someday, I'll go through my history of best and make a huge freaking review thread on what I thought of each one.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #12
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up Re: Blockbuster will cease to exist within 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretMaster View Post
Maybe its because I rarely watch movies, but how many people actually rent movies? Maybe I'm underestimating the market, but I just don't see it as a popular thing.

Yeah, I rarely rent.. costs are just getting too high. I mean, Donna likes to rent movies we didn't see in theaters (which we rarely go to either..) like chick flicks.. I am on the PC during those.. and that vampire diaries crap.

Last time I was at the theater, they wanted $4.00 for a bloody bottle of water. I felt like throwing it and saying something I'd regret. I know its their companies fault, not the part time workers.

$4 for 12 ounces of water. That's why I stop at the clean gas station (petrol station for Euro members ) and buy a $1.00 Mountain dew and some Trolli sour brite crawlers (worms).. hehe.. save like $8. You just gotta stuff the drink down your pants. (it gets COLD down there.. dayam!) lol. Or I have Donna put our drinks in her purse.

hehe... hey, I save money where ever possible these days. I need Zantac, but the bottle is like $22.00 for 50 pills. At Target, you can get 80 pills generic (same exact ingredient) for $4.00. WOW.
Many generics are actually made by the same companies that make the brand named versions that cost more.

Donna has allergies, so she takes Zyrtec. The second their patent ran out, generics came out, and instead of $30 for 60, its $7-10 for 120!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Wait till the bandwidth availability gets really large. What happened to music will happen to the movie industry,,,widespread piracy that will be virtually unstoppable. The movie industry is really pushing 3D now, not just because it is cool, but because it will make the DLs bigger, thus a little harder to pirate.

Rant ON: And what really sux is that our government TALKS about Intellectual Property Rights, but certainly doesn't seem to be doing much about it. It seems that in order to get a handle on widespread digital piracy, we may have to let "Net Neutrality" die.
RANT OFF!

BTW, have IW's heard about a possible Google private internet? That might be worth checking out, depending on the subscription fees.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

This 3D stuff is just a gimmick. A fad. I saw Avatar in 3D, and it was OK, but the glasses are annoying..

And 3D TVs at home? Who is going to want to wear glasses at home? Some company said they are trying to make a 3D TV with no glasses...

IMO, it's just a fad. (just like it was in the 80's)
Holographic/Hologram TV Imaging is the next thing... but that's MANY years away....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science...ion/index.html

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2008/10/0...appen-by-2020/

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I much prefer 2D with good quality color and no annoying third dimension. It is a nice gimmick, a kinda curious novelty that was big in the 80's (my god how horrible those 80's 3D movies looked) but I find it makes it hard to watch a movie and throughly enjoy it in this way. It's like fitting a special lens onto a photograph that distorts the image and really takes away from it in the end. I am happier sitting at home watching it in HD, but with just 2 dimensions.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #16
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I really liked Blockbuster for the last couple of years. You had a 7 day grace period with no late fee, and if this time passed, you would get charged to purchase the DVD.

Great. 9 to 14 total days to get a movie back without late fees? Awesome. What ruined this? As with all things, stupid people. Stupid people who can't read the rules, who got charged for purchasing the movie (and really, if you're 7 days overdue, then $20 for a movie is better than you'd do on late fees). They complained, so BB chocked the system and went back to $5 for 5 days with late charges.

I hate stupid people, gah.

As for 3D, it's awesome. There was a big leap in the technology. It's no longer gimmicky, it's an effective and useful part of the movie. I hope it's around to stay. Given the number of companies fighting to put 3D movies out and 3D tvs out, I'm thinking it will be around for a while.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

As far as I was concerned, Blockbuster (my wife and I have called them Ballbusters for years) lost it when they turned over their customer accounts to the FBI after 9/11 to let them investigate people on the basis of what movies they rented. I am only too glad to see those neo-fascists go down the tubes. Burn baby BURN.

P.S. Forgot to mention that Blockbuster had done the same thing in 1997 with the movie "The Tin Drum" in Oklahoma -- turned people who rented the movie in to state prosecutors.

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."

Last edited by Sazerac; 03-29-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #18
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post

As for 3D, it's awesome. There was a big leap in the technology. It's no longer gimmicky, it's an effective and useful part of the movie. I hope it's around to stay. Given the number of companies fighting to put 3D movies out and 3D tvs out, I'm thinking it will be around for a while.
But they have to do something with those glasses right? They are so 1959

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:11 AM   #19
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Agreed about the glasses. They are incredibly annoying! There has got to be some other way that we can all watch movies in 3D...
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:34 AM   #20
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Rider2 View Post
Agreed about the glasses. They are incredibly annoying! There has got to be some other way that we can all watch movies in 3D...
Autostereoscopic TV's will be just behind the first wave of stupidly expensive 3D TV's

They are expensive to build but don't need the glasses and have freaking awesome definition.

Phillip's have one they are selling to businesses soon:
http://gizmodo.com/5057832/philips-3...le-on-the-eyes

I can't wait until we can get them.... and you know... win the lottery...
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote