Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Trogdor
Manshoon

Default GameStop Manager refuses to sell games to kids with bad grades

lol!

Quote:
A GameStop manager in Dallas has been suspended for refusing to sell videogames to schoolkids with poor grades.

"He needs to be reading a book. He knows how to play Madden before he knows how to do his ABCs and 123s - that's backwards," said store manager Brandon Scott, who imposed a policy of refusing to sell games to school-aged children unless an adult would confirm the child's good grades. As a result, he has so far refused about two dozen game sales, he said, although most of them had returned with proof of good grades to make their purchase.

While many local parents applauded the move, GameStop has suspended Scott following reports of his actions. In a statement, the company said it is "learning about and evaluating Mr. Scott's concept. As always, GameStop maintains its corporate commitment to assisting parents and other consumers in making informed choices." Scott himself said he wasn't certain whether the suspension was the result of his policy, which he first implemented earlier this summer, or because he spoke to the media about it.

Along with his grades policy, Scott maintained other self-imposed rules of conduct in his store. "They know when they come in here, they do not curse, they do not use the N-word, pull your clothes up," he said. He also said he'd buy a brand new game for any student who showed him a straight-A report card with a teacher's signature and a parent present.

The suspension has not lessened Scott's commitment to "making a difference," he said. "I wouldn't say rebel, but I can be rebellious. I can fight for what I believe in."
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Default Re: GameStop Manager refuses to sell games to kids with bad grades

Wow. I say kudos to him. People like that can really make a difference. Now, if only their were more of him...
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

What an idiot, his job is to make money, what the hell does it matter if a kid is doing fine in school or not? If i were the owner of that store, i'd fire him instantly and sue him for every game that he didn't sell because of his idiotic behaviour. If he wants to educate teenagers, he should get a teachingjob, as long as he's a salesmanager, it's his job to make money by all means necessary. Taking the moral highground doesn't put food on the table, and in the end, that's all that matters.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
What an idiot, his job is to make money, what the hell does it matter if a kid is doing fine in school or not? If i were the owner of that store, i'd fire him instantly and sue him for every game that he didn't sell because of his idiotic behaviour. If he wants to educate teenagers, he should get a teachingjob, as long as he's a salesmanager, it's his job to make money by all means necessary. Taking the moral highground doesn't put food on the table, and in the end, that's all that matters.
Precisely. It wasn't his own money that he was giving away.
He was hired to sell games. If you open your own store you can sell or refuse to sell to whomever you want. Otherwise either change your job or do what you've been hired to do.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

He was only suspended, lucky him. If I was his boss I would have fired him.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
IronDragon
Elminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
If you have to ask the question…you won’t understand the answer
Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Why are you both so fast to condemn the poor man? He was doing what he thinks was right, and I applaud him. Moreso, Ironworks is supposed to be boycotting Gamestop (Or so I've heard), if Gamestop loses money, and a man is doing the right thing, what does it matter to you?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

While I agree with the motivations prompting this manager's policy decision, I do think he overstepped his boundaries in refusal to sell games, since that is in essence what the company is in business to do. At the very least, he should have cleared the policy decision with his boss before he implemented it.

Perhaps a policy more in line with his decision to buy a game for any kid who brought in an A+ report card would have been in better order; at least, not in violation of any corporate policy. He could have also come up with other incentives, such as discounts for good grades, verified by a report card.

I appreciate and applaud his efforts on maintaining good conduct within his store. I also appreciate his concern for the kids' educational welfare. A less zealous approach that would not compromise the store's sales would be much better. I hope he does not lose his job, and does find a more suitable way to promote good grades for kids without sacrificing sales.

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I think Sazerac said it best. By far.

Yes indeedy.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrvias View Post
Why are you both so fast to condemn the poor man? He was doing what he thinks was right, and I applaud him. Moreso, Ironworks is supposed to be boycotting Gamestop (Or so I've heard), if Gamestop loses money, and a man is doing the right thing, what does it matter to you?
It doesn't matter to me, it would if i were the store owner, and from that perspective i responded. If you hire a salesmanager, the least you can expect from him is to make you more money, not less because the guy has some moral issues. Again...the guy should apply for a teachingjob, he's obviously in the wrong business.