Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2005, 12:53 PM   #31
Bumbus
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Q'alooaith:
Your saying your more mature than me because your older?

You realy need to get you some learning.
I don’t think he actually said he was more mature then you are. However, your posts and his make it extremely obvious which one of you is “more” mature then the other. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I didn’t read some of the last few post, so I apologize for mine. I agree it is way off subject and unnecessary.

[ 06-15-2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Bumbus ]
Old 06-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #32
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by mad=dog:
Indeed LadyZ. I keep seeing this topic move to the top with a new fresh entry and faithfully look at it thinking "let it be someone with botanical insight giving us some useful information". But no, it's just another grammar stabbing. Fortunately I can always claim ignorance since English is not my first language.
Regardless, my friend, in thy useage of the English language I have found little proof of severe molestation of words, nouns and/or grammar. Be pleased with thineself, for it is likely that thy language control bests even some of the native speakers that inhabit these boards. I salute you!

[ 06-15-2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Link ]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:12 PM   #33
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Here's a worthy post. I actually did not know what a date palm tree looked like, and so found this website that has a picture of one of today's breed. I guess "Methuselah" will appear similar to this one.

http://www.dipbot.unict.it/Palms/descr02.html

Here is a pic with a guy hanging from the tree, which I just included for humor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4086348.stm

[ 06-15-2005, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-15-2005, 01:38 PM   #34
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Let's just leave off the grammar and maturity topics for some other thread. If you don't like someone's opinion, discuss your disagreement with the opinion, don't toss names at them.

Ok, how about talking about extinct and ressurected species of trees/plants etc. I for one, think it's rather interesting that they found this specimen and may bring it back for study. Learning new things about date palms and or the properties of this particular one, maybe even get clues to how and why it died off in the first place, who knows? It's fascinating stuff!
Old 06-15-2005, 01:46 PM   #35
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

right, so do we start the betting pool now? is the tree male or female? (if the tree is male then barring another miracle sprout it's merely delayed the end of the species)

I got 5 posts that say it's female.

ps you can't pull down the tree's underpants to find out either [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #36
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

http://www.queenofwands.net/d/20020925.html
http://www.queenofwands.net/d/20040204.html
Old 06-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #37
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Hmmm...good point. Unless it's one of the types of plants that self-pollinates (and I have NO clue if that is so) I wonder if they will have to use some sort of "cloning" type techniques to revive the species...
Lady Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #38
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
right, so do we start the betting pool now? is the tree male or female? (if the tree is male then barring another miracle sprout it's merely delayed the end of the species)

ps you can't pull down the tree's underpants to find out either [img]tongue.gif[/img]
LOL, I wonder if it could be both? Some plants have both female and male 'parts' on one plant and pollenate themselves (or bees/wind or other bugs do it for them). I don't know much about date palms, so I couldn't say! I'll vote for both or female. Uh, that's two votes, I guess! LOL!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #39
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:

LOL, I wonder if it could be both? Some plants have both female and male 'parts' on one plant and pollenate themselves (or bees/wind or other bugs do it for them). I don't know much about date palms, so I couldn't say! I'll vote for both or female. Uh, that's two votes, I guess! LOL! [/QUOTE]Lol, fair enough. The original article mentioned that Date Palms are either one or the other, as well as having some other fairly fascinating info (and much longer than the BBC edit of the article Larry posted)
Old 06-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #40
mad=dog

Most plants are hermaphrodites. That does not necesarily mean that they can produce offspring by themselves as many species have compatibility genes to prevent inbreeding.
In this case we have to hope that
1) The plant does not have compatibility genes or
2) More seedlings can be produced
The second option is clearly the optimum as it will give better genetical diversity and therefore more information for the scientists to work with.

As I understand it is not the same species as the regular date palm, but merely related to it. As a cultivated plant it does not thrive in nature (as an analogy imagine corn growing in the woods - big seeds that cannot be dispersed and a high demand for nutrients. It would be doomed outside the field) and I suspect it went extinct when war upon war in the area disrupted cultivation for a prolonged period. It seems to grow well in ecotypes similar to the Middle East - a climate I imagine is not optimal for normal date palms.

EDIT: Typo

EDIT: Apparently Date trees are dioecious. That is a big problem for the project. New stock can be produced from cutting, but that is not a workable solution in the long run as they will be clones of the original.

[ 06-15-2005, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: mad=dog ]