Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2003, 07:41 AM   #1
ShadowChild
Manshoon

I've been hearing alot about MOD's - i pretty much know what they are, but who made them? are they Bioware/Interplay or 3rd party created?...and does anyone know of a site where they can be downloaded.

I'm not one for cheating (changing stats, getting more cash etc), but some of the MOD's people have been talking about sound like they can be fun without taking too much away from the original game.
Never violate a woman nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.<br /><br /><i>Druss The Legend</i>
ShadowChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:04 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Mods are exellent fun. None of them are cheating as such, a few may make the game easier, most make it harder, but none of them are actualy cheating. (Some of Item Upgrade is very cheesy though).

Most of the best mods can be found on weimers site. Google for "westley weimer" and youll find it, I dont have the link cos this isnt my comp.

www.teambg.net also has a lot of mods, but its down quite often of late.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
ShadowChild
Manshoon

Light Bulb

Aye thats what am lookin for, once i've gone thru it once i'll use some of the MOD's to make it more of a challenge! i've got the Bonus Merchants MOD, but that seems to be a must anyway.

Thanks for the Info! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Never violate a woman nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.<br /><br /><i>Druss The Legend</i>
Old 03-18-2003, 08:25 AM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Just to add something to what andrewas said:

The probably most known modder, and definetly one of the best, is Westley Weimer. He is the one who made the only tool a modder ever needs, WeiDU. He has also made IMHO the absolute best BG2-mods of all time, you can find them all right here.

The other great modding-community, besides TeamBG, is Forgotten Wars. They use WeiDU when making their mods, which also are very good.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:27 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

You cannot call mods cheating. When you install a mod, you are playing a different game. The new game can be easier or more difficult, it depends on the mod. Only one "problem" has to be kept in mind. Every time you compare your results with another players, you have to compare the games, too. Seemingly worse result can be better in fact if your game is more difficult than the other game.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:42 AM   #6
lasher
Dungeon Master

I've downloaded the bonus merchant CD but didnt installed it yet. I wanted to go through the game once without. But the more i play, the more i want to install it. Do you think i should install it or wait?
lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:55 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Since items from the bouns merchants (esp RoVecna) are considered by many to be standard equipment, the bonus merchants can be thought of as a standard part of the game. All the items are included with the standard game incidently, all the mod does is make them available.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:40 AM   #8
ShadowChild
Manshoon

Pardon eh Moi? i shall call it cheating if i wish! infact i'll call it Mildrid if i wish! but the statement i made was not about MOD's being cheating, i simply stated that i myself did not like cheating:

(I'm not one for cheating - changing stats, getting more cash etc)

I know stuff like editors are used for this sort of thing, me being dimwited and new to the scene i simply made a generalization about MOD's, as i did not know what MODs/Editors were available [img]smile.gif[/img]

There now i've had my say i'm off for a coffee and a donut!

Oh and don't take me seriously, i do like to waffle!...mmm waffle...

Oh and thanks fer all your help [img]smile.gif[/img]