Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-09-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Sometimes, if I open a file on my computer that I had previously pulled off of a disk and saved onto the desktop...the A Drive will turn on and look for something for a brief moment, although the file I opened is on the desktop. There is no disk for the drive to read in the drive, but the file makes the drive look, but then when it realizes that there is no disk and that the file is on the harddrive, it operates normally, and the drive shuts off.

What the heck, man?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:06 AM   #2
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Probably the pointer in the file is still pointing towards Drive A, therefore it will look for Drive A whenever you tried to save it, but as far as I know, after resaving it onto the HDD for the first time, the weird behavior will go away.

On the the example of such behavior that I know of it MS Word. For example, if you open a document in Drive A, then save it onto Drive C. But when you tried to exit, the autosave function or some weird command in the Word will try and locate the original file, which is in Drive A.

[added]
In the case of Word, the way to counter this bug is to open the document, save it onto drive C, then closes the original copy, which is in drive A. Then issue an "open document" and select the file which is in drive C.

[ 07-09-2004, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 07-09-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Exactly.
In the future open the file, then click 'save as', then save it where you want it.

People still use A: drives?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:10 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

It is strictly for school stuff...

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-09-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
Zero Alpha

Easy 3 step solution to your problem

1. take the A: drive out your computer
2. smash it into a million pieces, then burn the pieces.
3. go buy a usb flash drive

worries over

edit: works even better if its on the scool computers [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]

[ 07-09-2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Zero Alpha ]
Old 07-09-2004, 05:23 PM   #6
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Sometimes, if I open a file on my computer that I had previously pulled off of a disk and saved onto the desktop...the A Drive will turn on and look for something for a brief moment, although the file I opened is on the desktop. There is no disk for the drive to read in the drive, but the file makes the drive look, but then when it realizes that there is no disk and that the file is on the harddrive, it operates normally, and the drive shuts off.

What the heck, man?
Hmmm...I seem to remember a certain person..cough..cough..Larry..cough.cough that reprimanded a certain member some time back for all the computer problems she was having and posting about. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Perhaps some of her gremlins have made their way over to your place, Larry.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:50 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hey! At least I ain't cooking no blue eggs, man!