Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Full article found here:
http://tech.msn.com/microsoft/articl...1433991&page=1

For those that do not care to read all five pages of details, here is the final page synopsis, as I am quoting it directly from the author.

The Bottom Line
All in all, Windows Vista is a great leap forward for the operating system, with a much-improved, far more useful (and pleasurable) interface; faster, better search; beefed-up security that's a big improvement over Windows XP with SP2; and far, far better networking. There are some clunkers in there, though, such as the annoying UAC feature.

But the pluses make you forget the minuses. I've been using Windows Vista alongside Windows XP for months, and every time I have to switch back to a Windows XP-based PC, I feel like I've moved from a modern automobile back to a Model T. Sure, the old model will eventually get you where you're going--but the ride won't be as much fun.

Pluses and Minuses, Versions and Costs
Here's a summary of the pros and cons, and a table of the versions and their costs.

Five Things We Love
AERO: Transparent windows, tasteful animation, elegant design: Sure, it looks like a Mac, but why not steal from the best?
SEARCH: Fast, smart, and you can create virtual search folders to revisit your searches with a single click.
NETWORK MAP: Finally, Microsoft gets networking right; it's a great way to get an overview of your network and its devices.
WIRELESS NETWORKING: Connecting to multiple wireless networks and hotspots is a simple affair.
SECURITY: You get a firewall with outbound filtering, a better browser, and a lot under the hood offering better protection.

Five Things We Hate

USER ACCOUNT CONTROL: Who needs a virtual nagging nanny?
BACKUP: How could Microsoft have built such a brain-dead application?
WINDOWS MEETING SPACE: With worthless chat and no telephony, this isn't a virtual meeting I'd want to attend.
HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS: Be prepared to spend a bundle for hardware upgrades--or a new computer.
PRICE: $399 new, or $299 for the upgrade to Windows Ultimate? No operating system should cost that much. And the cheapest version, Basic ($199 full, $100 upgrade), isn't worth the trouble.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

They neglected to mention the one feature that a lot of us are excited about, and that's DirectX 10, DX10 is gonna change gaming and is half the reason I upgraded
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

They're not actually going to require it until later this year, and you also need a card that can take it.

DX10 isn't going to change gaming anyway, it's just going to make it look prettier. The only thing that'll change gaming is game developers.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Well i'm not one of those people that believe "Graphics don't make the game" and I think making games look better and adding more realism WILL change gaming.

Plus DX10 is faster and more efficient, so it will have an impact on everyone that games with it.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Making it look more real won't necessarily make it more realistic. That's more up to the physics engine and the AI programming.

More efficiency, though, that'll help, that'll leave more power left over for the programs to expend on interesting behind-the-scenes stuff like the aforementioned physics and AI.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Well, since both Vista and DX10 were designed from scratch, rather than how Microsoft used to do business, we may expect a performance mark-up since there's no old junk cluttering stuff up.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Eventually Dx10 games will be released though, won't they?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Actually I heard they're going straight to Dx11, Dx10 is just a joke that replaces every single texture in all games with a picture of a wizard riding a unicorn over a rainbow in space.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleXVI:
Actually I heard they're going straight to Dx11, Dx10 is just a joke that replaces every single texture in all games with a picture of a wizard riding a unicorn over a rainbow in space.
I just spilled Pepsi all over my desk and almost ruined a CER I just had approved.

Somehow, you made my day!

BTW, I would buy Vista just for that
Old 01-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

That is one excellent synopsis!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote