Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-20-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm planning to finally upgrade my video card - I was thinking of getting an FX5900 but can't justify spending over $300 AUD on a video card since I don't really play FPS like Doom 3 or Far Cry. I've currently got a Nvidia GEforce2 MX400, so keep this in consideration.

The games I will be using this for will be mainly:

Rome Total War
Medieval Total War
Civ III
NBA Live 2005
FIFA 2005
NWN
Morrowind
Rise of Nations
KOTOR (I and II)

Mainly this kind of stuff - RPGs, strat games, maybe the odd driving game. I'm also planning to watch DVDs on my PC (got myself a DVD burner and a 17" LCD). Animal's told me of some problems with the ATI cards with OpenGL stuff like NWN and KOTOR, so I want to stick to NVidia.

I was thinking of getting this one (cost $220 AUD, approx. $165 US).

Albatron's FX5700Q System Requirement
1. Free AGP port 8X/4X
2. CD or DVD ROM for software installation
3. 32MB system RAM minimum
4. 30MB free hard disk space minimum
5. Operation system - Windows® XP, Windows® Me, Windows® 98, Windows® 2000, Windows® NT

Albatron's FX5700Q Features
1. Powered by nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 GPU
2. AGP 8X with AGP Texturing and Fast Writes
3. CineFX 2.0 Engine supports DirectX9.0 & OpenGL1.5
4. NVIDIA Intellisample High-resolution Compression Technology
5. NVIDIA UltraShadow Technology
6. RAMDACs 400MHz
7. D-Sub, TV-out and DVI Ports
8. Supports nView Technology

FX5700 Chipset Features
1.CineFXTM 2.0 Engine
(1)Powers cinematic effects beyond imagination
(2)With advanced vertex and pixel shader capabilities, stunning and complex special effects are possible.
(3)Increase horsepower delivers faster and smoother gameplay.
2.NVIDIA® UltraShadowTM TechnologyAdvance technology designed to enhance the performance of bleeding-dege games that use complex shadows.
3.NVIDIA® IntellisampleTM high-resolution compression technology¡]HCT¡^
(1)Delivers higher image quality through anti-aliasing at frame rates that rival aliased modes.
(2)The industry¡¦s fastest and highest quality anti-aliasing.
4.AGP 8X
(1)Provides double the bandwidth of AGP 4X ¡V 2.1GB/sec. Vs. 1.1GB/sec.
(2)Enables more complex models and detailed textures, creating richer and more lifelike environments.
(3)Uninterrupted data flow allows for smoother video streaming and faster, more seamless gameplay.
5..13u Process TechnologyDelivers higher performance through faster clock rates ¡V more MHz!
6.Architected for Cg
(1)Ensures that the newest, cutting-edge special effects in applications will run flawlessly.
(2)Speeds up content creation so game developers can get their new games out to PC users faster than ever before.
7.Integrated TV encoderProvides best-of-class TV-OUT functionality with resolutions up to 1024x768.
8.Integrated full hardware MPEG-2 decoderDelivers full-frame, full-screen MPEG-2 video on your desktop.
9.NVIDIA® nVIEWTM Multi-display Technology
(1)Great multi-display technology
(2)Easy-to-use control panel interface
(3)A setup wizard makes configuring your desktops a snap.
10.NVIDIA Digital Vibrance ControlTM 3.0
(1)Superior display quality with sharper text and richer color for displaying photographs.
(2)User-controllable through a simple interface.
11.400MHz RAMDACsIndustry¡¦s fastest RAMDACs support QXGA displays with ultra-high, ergonomic refresh rates
12.DVIAble to drive large displays with up to 1600x1200 resolution.
13.NVIDIA Unified Driver Architecture¡]UDA¡^
(1)Delivers rock-solid forward and backward compatibility with software drivers.
(2)Simplifies upgrading to a new NVIDIA product or drivers because all NVIDIA products work with the same driver software.
14.DirectX 9.0 optimizations and supportEnsures the best performance and application compatibility for all DirectX9 applications.
15.OpenGL 1.5Ensures the best performance and application compatibility for all OpenGL applications

Model: ALBATRON NVIDIA GEFORCE FX5700 256Mb DDR, CineFX, Direct X 9

Brand: ALBATRON

Warranty: 1 Year Manufacturer's return to base

Link: http://www.albatron.com.tw

Will this meet my needs?

Old 09-20-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I would just get a Geforce 5800 FX ultra. It's worth it, and is brand name so relatively good support. Haven't heard of the other brand, so it's just a matter of taste. I would recommend it, but what OS and whatnot are you using?
Old 09-20-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Excellent hardware i'd say, but eh.... you already got NBA Live 2005 overthere ???
Old 09-20-2004, 11:36 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Degrader, I'm using WinXP. And Johnny, it's not out yet, but soon. Planning ahead, mate.

Old 09-20-2004, 12:08 PM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Hmmm. It's a bit of a tough one. It really depends on a couple of things. I mean, this card is ok, but nothing special. Its already back into the older generation of GPUs with the release of the Geforce 6800.

The dilemna is, if you buy this, when will you need to upgrade again? Ok so you don't play Doom 3 etc. but other games are getting better graphics wise too. Do you plan on playing the new GTA for example?

If I were you I would spend the extra cash, and get a higher model, or alternatively a 9800 pro would be a nice alternative. Remember, you can get cheaper cards on ebay.

Oh yeh, and is there an australian ebuyer?

edit: oops, just noticed about you saying you were wanting to stick with Nvidia. Ohwell. I would still recommend looking at the 9800 pro as it is a quality card at an affordable price.

[ 09-20-2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: RoSs_bg2_rox ]
Old 09-20-2004, 12:13 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
Hmmm. It's a bit of a tough one. It really depends on a couple of things. I mean, this card is ok, but nothing special. Its already back into the older generation of GPUs with the release of the Geforce 6800.

The dilemna is, if you buy this, when will you need to upgrade again? Ok so you don't play Doom 3 etc. but other games are getting better graphics wise too. Do you plan on playing the new GTA for example?

If I were you I would spend the extra cash, and get a higher model, or alternatively a 9800 pro would be a nice alternative. Remember, you can get cheaper cards on ebay.

Oh yeh, and is there an australian ebuyer?

edit: oops, just noticed about you saying you were wanting to stick with Nvidia. Ohwell. I would still recommend looking at the 9800 pro as it is a quality card at an affordable price.
Yeah, but i hear the latest G-Force card requires a whole new powersupply, just for the card alone. The new card alone will not be the last penny you spend, and besides, the card he's talking about can handle pretty much anything on the market right now.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:18 PM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

There is Australian eBay, but most of the cards are ATI cards and I don't want to get ATI, otherwise I'd have gone for a 9600. I just don't want to spend more money that I have to with this, considering my needs. What about an Geforce FX5900XT 128Mb 256bit DDR, DVI, TV Out for $285 AUD? Is that good value? My ceiling is $300 AUD. As for upgrading, I haven't upgraded in 3 years - the only reason I'm considering upgrading is because of Rome Total War.

EDIT: Just read Johnny's comments - my current powersupply is rated at 300KW, so I can't have anything that's going to be a massive power drain...

[ 09-20-2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 09-20-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Johnny, this is only true if you have a relatively low power supply in the first place. Many custom built/gaming pcs/new pcs will have sufficient supplies. Although I admit it does have to be quite beefy for the job, especially for overclocking it.

Memnoch, according to my source xe.com this works out at £111.75 which I would say is very very good, and much cheaper than it would be over here.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:51 PM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I've got the GeForce 6800 GT and it does need at least a 380w power supply, I'm told. Mines 400 and seems to be doing ok.

So unless you're upping the wattage, you may want to look at something that takes less juice.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:55 PM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Ross, which one? The FX5900XT or the FX5700?