Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2001, 06:18 AM   #21
Vampire

Bygones01: I don't think we are talking about weapons like Crom Faeyr as it is common knowledge how great it is! Sorry but duh!

just kidding...
this thread aims at bring out the less used but highly efficient weapons.
P.S. Firetooth is also in the Crom Faeyr class
Impaler and Pixie Prick are more like it!
Hey I just found out the Flail of Ages slows at 100% chance!
Old 07-11-2001, 05:47 PM   #22
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

P.S. Firetooth is also in the Crom Faeyr class

Hm... how do you figure that? You mean the power?

Daggers are probably the least used class of weapons, and at least one poster never heard of it. So, it's most likely not as famous as the fabled Crom Faeyr. You don't have to assemble it from scattered bits all over the place, or even win it by questing - it's just a merchant item, and not even a bonus item at that.
Old 07-11-2001, 07:00 PM   #23
Jeannada
Dungeon Master

I love lilarcor! it is obtained early on in the game and minsc really rocks with it, especially if you improve his proficiency with a 2-hand slashing weapon.
i just LOVE that PINK axe you can buy off Hendak in the copper coronet-- i have outright killed many undead just by equipping it to Minsc when we fight undead. It sometimes does about 18 damage to a undead creature but the thing will just DIE! ANd whats nice is that it is range-returned after use too! so you can stand behind summoned pets and never take a hit.

I used that axe to pick off those golems in that maze-place in the planar sphere quest- i let the Big golem block the path while i killed off the ones behimd him using that axe and a sling, and never took a hit. I also killed off the Big golem, and then i think just the clay is left to kill- you can't kill those with those kinds of weapons (Blunt only).

Theres this sucky-looking mace as well you get off some quest, but it also has a chance of outright killing undead... i give that one to Viconia to use and you dont know how many times she hits something once and the thing is just DEAD! ( like the Vampires in that town near spellhold).

Pixie Prick is nice, staff of thunder and lightening is nice. Flail of the ages is cool, but lately anomen has been using that sling (+5, no ammo needed) and just simply turning and blasting any undead that comes in his way.
Old 07-13-2001, 02:52 AM   #24
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

i would stick the flail of ages in the "elite" category with fury and faeyr.

one point that was grazed earlier were the ac mods vs weapon types. this is where a flail is superior to any sword. let's say you have a THAC0 of 10 and the bad guy you want to kill has full plate, shield, and 18 dex for an ac of -4. with the flail of ages you're hitting on 11 and automatically slowing him. with, say, fury, you're hitting on... ready?... 15! because full plate is -4 vs slashing weapons.

slashing weapons have the most penalties vs armors, making opponents tougher than they really are. blunt have the fewest and the only bonus (+2 vs chain) besides piercing vs leather (+2).

for my money, all other factors being semi-equal, i'll take a blunt
Old 07-13-2001, 09:33 AM   #25
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

firetooth enters the Crom Faeyr bracket cos its overkill basically....
Old 07-13-2001, 01:30 PM   #26
Vampire

Agree! Overkill...what else does Jaheira use for ranged weapons...eh?
The Sling of Everard is also way overkill with its +5 bullets...ideal for clerics.
Jeannada: Pink Axe is called Azuredge...way too powerful!
Old 07-13-2001, 02:13 PM   #27
Tuor
Elminster

I like axes my dual class fighter mage had gm in them and had 3 prof in two weapon style.

Had a crappy armour class but he got hold of Azuredge and stone fire early on and there wasn't much that stayed in his way for too long.

I like the flail of ages a lot-like one of the earlier posters I usually have a cleric (fighter) dual class double wield it with crom faeyr for complete carnage.

I also really really like the +1 sword of flame early on I know it's rubbish but there's just something about it.

The dragon slaying sword is cool too I like to kit out a fighter with that the helmet and the shield-matching outfits are great.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:55 PM   #28
oldbittercraig
Elminster

Don't string me up for mentioning ToB, but the Flail (one of my favorite weapons) is even further upgradable to 5 heads.

I'd flag it up there with Carsomyr and Crom Faeyr...

------------------
"As long as a men has the strength to dream he can redeem himself and fly" - Mojo Nixon
Old 07-13-2001, 04:12 PM   #29
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

I hate that flail, I really do. Gimme the Warblade 1D12 +4 all day long. Speed factor of 6. Grand Mastery in 2H swords & 2 points spent in 2H weapon style brings the speed down to 2.

There's so many overrated weapons imho. The Silver sword with a speed of 10. The Vorpal sword, Crom wot For, and some of the non ammo bows too. Tell me, can a non ammo sling or bow dish out as much damage for a single shot as say the Heartseeker with acid arrows?

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-14-2001, 04:59 AM   #30
Desuma_Malevois

Since we're talking about less widely used weapons, has anyone considered what an awesome backstabbing weapon the Staff of Striking could be? Despite what some say, staves may be used to backstab as long as they may be wielded by a true class thief, and the Staff of Striking does 1d6+9 damage. Admitedly, it uses charges, but all you need to do when they run low is to sell it to a fence and steal it back.

I haven't tried this yet, but I'm going to the next time I run a thief.

[This message has been edited by Desuma_Malevois (edited 07-14-2001).]