Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2003, 07:31 AM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Just a little confused on it. You know, i've fought mages that have wild surges, but I really never understood the use of it. Can someone help me out?
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 09:57 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

Wild Magic is basically a form of magic usage which doesn't always cast the spell as it should be. It sometimes (read: almost always) has side effects, positive AND negative. That's why it's a dangerous (but fun) form of magic usage.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:24 AM   #3
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Ohhh, thats my some of my characters changed sexes when they fought those Quasits in Watcher's Keep. WILD MAGIC. I guess that kind of wild magic would be fun. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 10:29 AM   #4
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Actually, I did look further into the Wild Mage class and how the magic works (still bugged on how the surges work), but anyway I made a Wild Mage Yaunti at... 27th level I think at WK (I was bored). Everytime he casted a spell, there was an after affect, and the most common for him was "The caster has gained 3 levels."

Most positive than negative I guess huh?
Old 02-16-2003, 10:36 AM   #5
Myrddin L'argenton
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Actually, I did look further into the Wild Mage class and how the magic works (still bugged on how the surges work), but anyway I made a Wild Mage Yaunti at... 27th level I think at WK (I was bored). Everytime he casted a spell, there was an after affect, and the most common for him was "The caster has gained 3 levels."

Most positive than negative I guess huh?
Reminds me of the book that I've quoted in my sig. Wild Magic is very unpredictable.
White wild magic graven in every rock, for the white gold wielder to unleash or control. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant<br />\'Let no man be unworthy of the angel that watches over him.\' Steven Donaldson<br />Accept who you are.<br />Lord Paladin of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart.<br />Walkthrough-online\'s new site<br />[url]\"http://forums.clankiller.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://forums.clankiller.com</a>
Myrddin L'argenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:49 AM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

Well the negative part is usually when you're in the middle of a fight, and your spell doesn't affect the target, but yourself. Or when you cast a spell, and the target (your enemy) is healed. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:42 PM   #7
Tag
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My TOB manual has been sucked into the ooze of my living room, but I'll try and recall some tasty things about Wild Mages -

- Every time they cast a spell, the potency of the spell can be adjusted up or down a few levels - eg a low/mid level Wild Mage getting one more or less Magic Missle than they should.

- Every time they cast a spell, there is a chance they will Wild Surge. Pick a random number between 1 and 100. Add the mages level. Check the table in the back of the TOB manual. That effect happens, anything from petrify self to spell cast twice. If the number is 100 or over, the spell will be cast normally. If the Wild Mage has a Chaos Shield up, that will add numbers to their roll (I think 25 for Improved Chaos Shield, so a surging level 25 mage will have about a 50/50 chance of getting the right spell off.)

- Extra spell per level with no opposition school.

- Nahal's Reckless Dweomer. Best. Spell. Ever. The potential is amazing. Essentially, you cast NRD, then pick a spell from your *known* spell list to try and cast. You *will* surge, as above. Something horrible will probably happen. If it doesn't - well, if you lucked out and found a level 8/9 spell as a random drop in Chez Irenicus and managed to scribe it, you may cast it, even though you're level 7 or whatever. At higher levels, it means each of your level 1 spell slots has about a 50/50 chance of pumping out one of your HLA spells. If you flub your Wild Surge roll, well 'Roll 3 more times!' and 'Spell cast twice' are on the Wild Surge list. About a 1 in a billion chance of it, but 6 Dragon's breath's for the price of one level 1 slot...*drool*... NRD can also act as the poor mages Improved Alacrity. There's no combat round delay between casting spells via NRD. I like turning on Autopause: spell cast, pulling up a Simmy (Which can try and cast anything a Wild Mage PC knows via NRD) and just unloading. That's about 11 NRD's in next to no time. The first spell probably won't have hit by the time those are all fired off - hell, I generally don't even know what the first spell will *do* by the time all those are all fired off ^_^

In conclusion, Wild Mages are best played when you're drunk, with many, many quicksaves.
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #8
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Thanks