Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins

Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Default Using tactics settings

Is there a primer anywhere I could refer to to learn how to use this feature? I'm not getting anywhere with just the manual.
Thanks.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: Using tactics settings

Not that I know of, I just kind of went for trial and error, and stuck with what worked for me.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Thanks. Any tips or pointers?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

A lot of tactics for the warriors are going to depend on your main character, at least for me. If I'm the one tanking, then the main thing I want to make sure of is that I'm not getting nuked by mages in my party. It seems like as soon as they get Cone of Cold, or Fireball, the game will set a tactic to cast it, and at very inoppurtune times. Most of the tactics that I use on auto pilot are defensive.

For mages, Mind Blast if surrounded by 2 or more enemies, and Winter's Grasp on lower health mobs, which Morrigan seems to get by default. I set Horror for a melee attack on mages as well. The problem with setting a set tactic for mages is I may or may not take certain spells. So any CC spells are good if the mage is being attacked, short of Cone of Cold, since that could well Friendly Fire on my party.

If you are using one of the NPC's to tank for you, then you'll want to set at least one tactic on the tanker to save you if you are being attacked by melee. Taunt, or one of the knockdown skills is good for that. You'll also want to set one tactic slot on each non-tanker to attack the target of your tank, whoever that may be. This will force focused fire. Do not, however, set a tactic on any of the characters to attack a non-tanker's target, with the possible exception of the tank, to attack an enemy attacking your squishies. You can use the get class mage thing for that to have the tank "rescue" your mage.

I would also suggest not setting the Attack on Sight tactic on any but the tank, and really, I prefer to not use that, as it leads to the tank running off after an enemy mage, which might "alert" more enemies to your presence. Avoid AoE tactics except for the tank. If you feel an AoE may be appropriate for Situation A, or B, then switch to the character with that AoE and manually cast it. Note that this applies to Archers as well as Mages. Scatter Shot may seem like a cool CC angle, but the stun duration is short, and will leave the Archer as the primary target for any ranged mobs.

The best time for that skill is while all the mobs are in range of Taunt, so that the tank can use it to regain, or get threat. I like to control my Archer in encounters where there are mages at range that haven't seen you yet, and hit them with Arrow of Slaying, if possible. One shot kills rock. As for any more standard tactics, I tend to micromanage the fights, so a lot of times, I end up with more tactic slots empty than full.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

SPOILER--minor plot revelation

*sigh* Setting up tactics is a real head-hurter. I'm not that kind of gamer...I was always the last kid picked at the LAN party games!! I just try to use the scripts they come with, resulting in much micromanaging. I tired early of "friendly fire" and how hard that made the battles, so I switched the game to *easy* mode. I am MUCH more interested in the story and eye candy than slogging it out with endless darkspawn. The *easy* mode makes the fights moderately tough but not reloading grinds (although I did manage to kill Flemeth on the first try, the Urn High-Dragon waxed me...I'll try her later).

BTW, Alistair's doesn't have hardly any default scripts, is that a bug?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

From what I've noticed, the warrior tactics don't autoset. You get Alistair really early, so he's fairly pristine where tactics are concerned.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

There are too many adversaries, either in power or numbers, for set tactics to be comfortable.

Sooner or later the only way is to micromanage

One exception is to make sure your mage(s) get force field. crushing prison and petrify as soon as possible and direct them to take out the opposition mages before they let their area effect spells loose.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion

On every character, I have a Self--Health < 25%, use healing pot (for tank I set to use most powerful, for casters, least powerful as they don't have enough HP to justify using the big ones).

The next one for mages is Ally < 50% then Heal (I take heal on all my mages). If I'm using two mages together, I might set one to Ally (or just Tank) < 75% so they aren't always healing the same person at the same time.

I set my tank to use knockdown/stun attacks on nearest enemy or enemy health > X. I save Taunt for manual use so that it's not in cooldown when I actually need it.

For Rogue, Self--being attacked by melee, Dirty Fighting is a good one to have after Self-heal pot

For an archer, enemy, using magic, Arrow of Slaying (or Pinning Shot in early levels). Otherwise, just attack Tank's target.

For Morrigan, I like Self, attacked by melee, Mind Blast. I tend to fire off her single target, ranged CC spells at the beginning of a battle, so Mind Blast is the most likely to still be ready to cast if she gets targeted.

On my mages, I've experimented with assigning single target spells like Winter's Grasp or Arcane Bolt to either high or low HP enemies. High HP enemies results in them spreading their damage around too much (and WG doesn't stun often enough or for long enough for that to be useful). Using it on low HP enemies, or tank's target often results in hitting an enemy that could be killed with one staff bolt or stab with your spell--waste of mana and cool down timer. I quickly learned not to set up a tactic to auto drink mana pots, as you then quickly run out of pots. A lot of them get wasted when the fight is down to 1-2 remaining foes that could easily be handled by the fighters plus staff bolts from the mages.

My new approach to mages is to set some highly specific scripts for spell use--mostly just cast on magic users. That keeps them from burning through their mana too quickly, and I just control them directly to fire off their AOE spells, or target their CC spells.

If the fight is easier, I won't bother with the mages, and they'll just staff bolt and heal by default.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote