Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2003, 02:24 PM   #21
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:

Bah....everybody knows that barbarians don't like change. I'll always be a 1st Edition man myself.
Me, too. Resurrect the Wandering Monster Roll! Just say no to feats and presiege classes. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]I play first/second edition myself.

I have recently considered working on converting some feats for second edition gaming. We are currently using the character point system presented in the players-options books and the idea is a player can buy feat-like abilities with character points. If it works-out through playtesting, I may write up a net book on the system. Any feedback on this idea would be nice! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, I still use random encounter checks as well.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:52 PM   #22
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
You really needed to take university degrees in 'Middle Earth Mythology' and 'Advanced Roleplaying Mechanics' to even UNDERSTAND good ol' MERP.
Too true. Well, let's hope the new one is good. My problem with RP in Middle Earth is that it's just really pretty small and non-diverse. Besides, I try not to RP where there's so much detail already present to trip up a storyline. [/QUOTE]Heh, it's worth a look. I thought it would be rather filmocentric... but it's not! Apart from all the photos. There's lots of ideas for wandering in the Second Age, the Third Age and the Fourth Age (or even the First Age), and the character experience and progression system is like nothing I've encountered before. It goes into setting the right 'moods' for Middle-Earth, and tries to help you get a 'feel' for LotR roleplaying. Very nice book if you're a LotR fan. I liked it, and I am.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #23
Atrayu
The Magister

Great thread Attalus! I remember an early game of D&D, thats what it was called then, where I was on an outdoor expedition and we met up with a Balrog and his Orc army. We all would have been able to run away from them but one of our party members had a cursed sword and went berserk and ran straight at the monster. We couldn't leave him like that so we went for it! I think having a Patriarc in the party helped us a bit on that decision also (sp?)

I say put random monster rolls back in also!

Atrayu
Old 06-16-2003, 11:57 PM   #24
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I found my write-up of the Balrog...but it is far too extensive to list here (it was 3 full notebook pages long!). And - in looking it over now - I realize there are some things that would need to be changed. I'm afraid we went just a bit overboard on the Ultimate Demon of Terror Scale. Still, MOST of what is there would be legit....If there is any interest, I will try to do a "write-up" in Word and either post it here or send it to interested parties.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:01 AM   #25
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Yes, Cerek, I for one would be interested, either way. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2003, 01:11 AM   #26
MagiK

Me too me too [img]smile.gif[/img] I want to see it

Old 06-17-2003, 01:16 AM   #27
MagiK

If I recall correctly D&D was a set of rules more designed for the miniature gaming, AD&D was more advanced and less miniature focused....tho I could be wrong. I really really really wish I had not tossed all my stuff out when I got divorced....*sigh* stupid stupid stupid.

Old 06-17-2003, 05:00 AM   #28
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:

General description: The Balrog is the Tolkien's creature in Moria. It is a fire demon with wings and bull horns. It has a gigantic fire sword and a powerful whip.
The balrog has wings? "falls into the crevice and climbs to the top of the mountin?" if planes had wings like these they would be called cars [img]tongue.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 06-17-2003, 05:44 AM   #29
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'll do my best to get in posted in the next day or two, then. Like I said, I need to make some changes to it before it will be ready.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:43 AM   #30
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
quote:

General description: The Balrog is the Tolkien's creature in Moria. It is a fire demon with wings and bull horns. It has a gigantic fire sword and a powerful whip.
The balrog has wings? "falls into the crevice and climbs to the top of the mountin?" if planes had wings like these they would be called cars [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]There was a rather lengthy discussion about Balrog wings in teh books and movies forum not too long ago, you might wanna check it out.

and Cerek, I'd love to see the stats for a Balrog.