Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-31-2003, 11:56 AM   #21
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorfinn:
does it matter where he gets his information?
It does I suppose, like the actual article itself states he might have obtained the information from illegal sources, they've got to verify wether he qacually accessed a source of information regarding the second to second stock market, or if the information was leaked.

Otherwise yeah there's nothing he can be charged of I believe.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:03 PM   #22
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Doesn't apply here, of course, but what would happen if he said that God appeared to him in visions and told him which stocks to pick? Surely you can't be prosecuted for listening to the voices in your head, unless they tell you to chop the neighbor into little bitty pieces, can you?

What difference does it make what his alibi is? Isn't the intent of the court system supposed to be that the government has the burden of proof to show that you have committed some crime? If the government can't show evidence that a specific crime has been committed, and specific evidence of who and how, from a legal point of view, does it matter whether he even has an alibi? (Granted, they are very helpful from an exculpatory point of view, but strictly speaking, should not affect that burden of proof, right?)
It seems to be symantics your relying on here. The level of crime is not relivent. He is under suspicion for a felony level crime. Murder or theft has no relivence in my eyes. He is under investigation of a crime, period. His antics of time travel are most likely either truly dilusional , guilty, or desperate words of a thief, guilty. This is only my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]
Please ingnore me.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:06 PM   #23
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Yes, Sigmar, I agree if we assume insider trading is illegal, there is probable cause to issue a warrant for his person and effects, since it is probable he had some special information, not just random luck.

So they should serve the warrants, etc., but if they cannot find evidence of wrongdoing, he should be set free. That is not to say they cannot poke around, and get additional warrants as new evidence comes to light, but locking him up until he confesses is probably unconstitutional. At least it used to be...
Old 03-31-2003, 12:19 PM   #24
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:

So they should serve the warrants, etc., but if they cannot find evidence of wrongdoing, he should be set free. That is not to say they cannot poke around, and get additional warrants as new evidence comes to light, but locking him up until he confesses is probably unconstitutional. At least it used to be...
In theory that's correct, but, they could keep him there on the grounds of the suspicion that he obtained his information through unconventional methods. They're allowed to keep him for a set period of time without incriminating evidence, after that he HAS to be let go. Of course they could then monitor his activities to try and obtain any incriminating evidence.

Hey there's an idea, why don't they let him go and just keeps track of where he goes. Sooner or later if the ship really exists [img]tongue.gif[/img] he would go there and destroy it or something if he's genuinely afraid of it falling the wrong hands. If he escapes into the future well then you have evidence he really was from the future and THAT would really screw up our time line...I wonn't go into the reprucussions of him going further back in time