Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-24-2003, 12:46 AM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

GOOD NEWS for those that supported Stephen Downs and his "right" to wear a "peace" T-shirt while shopping at Crossgates Mall in Albany, NY. Not only have ALL charges against Mr. Downs been dropped...but the security guard that signed the police complaint form against him has been FIRED!!!!

Actually, the guard (Robert Williams) was fired just 3 days after having Mr. Downs arrested for trespassing when he refused to leave the premises. The fact that Mr. Downs' shirt violated a new policy of the mall regarding "apparal messages" is beside the point. Apparantly, it is also irrelevant that Robert Williams was just trying to do the job he had been hired to do (namely, enforce mall rules and policies). Here is a link to the story carried by a local news station - Crossgates Fires Security Guard

So it is a victory for "Freedom of Speech"....but at what cost? [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 01:01 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Arrow

i have mixed emotions on this one... but that was very harsh for someone to lost someones livelihood simply because he was doing his job. that sucks.

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-24-2003, 01:34 AM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Somehow I don't feel right about this. people getting fired for doing their job.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:51 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Perhaps the gaurd exceeded his authority...ejection is usually a management concern unless it is a legit security concern, then the police are called.

I would fire a disruptive gaurd who accosted customers abritarily and with-out communicating to managment.

Perhaps the gaurd acted unprofessionally during the altercation and was let go.

Perhaps this has nada to do with freedom of speech, but with treating people respectfully or following chain of command.

[ 03-24-2003, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 03-24-2003, 02:06 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Perhaps this has nada to do with freedom of speech, but with treating people respectfully or following chain of command.
perhaps the victim was the one who was the impolite one that made the guard to ask unprofessionaly. i mean for example.. everyone has a limit when it comes to people behaving like children.

it reminds me of doctors and lawyers in the states (from what i heard from) nowadays, its so hard becoming a lawyer simply because one mistake can ruin your career. doctors included there as well. i believe there should be an allowance of human error "within compassionate and understanding level of course". that is why when you an ailment in the states, the doctors will make your go through countless of scans and test to make sure they are not wrong with thier diagnosis and waste also the patients money. this is what i heard from my sister (who is studying here to become a doctor and will hopfully go to the states to finish her studies as well)

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-24-2003, 05:05 AM   #6
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Let me clear something up,

There's no such thing as freedom of speech anymore...
Old 03-24-2003, 05:20 AM   #7
Grojlach
Zartan

Awg, this guy will have a new job elsewhere before you know it... There are always those who support his actions 100% in their own twisted logic and will make a big deal out of it to recruit him as a personal security guard; and they'll probably offer him a higher salary than he'd ever have dreamed of at his older job. He's about the last person in the world I'd think whose future job perspectives are bad.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:29 AM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

I suppose it was more convenient for the mall management to fire the guard than to take responsibily for this akward story.

BTW how can a "Peace" t-shirt be "apparal message"
Old 03-24-2003, 06:43 AM   #9
WillowIX
Apophis

Question Mark

Well throwing out customers on the basis of clothes is a very strange code for a mall. Therefore I am glad that the charges have been dropped. As for firing the guard, can you spell "scapegoat"? The arrogance of some companies never cease to amaze me.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:51 AM   #10
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
Well throwing out customers on the basis of clothes is a very strange code for a mall. Therefore I am glad that the charges have been dropped. As for firing the guard, can you spell "scapegoat"? The arrogance of some companies never cease to amaze me.
Depends on what they´re wearing ( if anything.)