Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2002, 07:05 PM   #1
MagiK

Watched this recently, thought it was quite interesting and informative. It really illustrated the changes in brain chemistry and organization in developing teens. Any teens out there that have watched it?? What are your thoughts?

Old 09-03-2002, 05:41 PM   #2
MagiK

You mean no one has seen this? Wow, I would have thought at least one person besides me would have.

Old 09-03-2002, 05:57 PM   #3
Hesperex

yea I saw it some weeks ago ...or something like it. Certainly interesting to note that at 15-16 years old a teenager can't actually understand and recognise emotional responses displayed on peoples faces. Although I seem to recall that I had no such trouble. Perhaps they are given too much responsibility too quickly, quite interesting it was.

Old 09-03-2002, 07:40 PM   #4
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Hmm that sounds like an interesting problem... though I don't actually recall having the problem, I never really could recal people's emmotions on their faces...
Old 09-03-2002, 08:41 PM   #5
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Actually, I would think that it would be worse in boys than girls. Teenage girls seem to have no difficulty in detecting emotions in others, though the boys generally have no clue.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:23 PM   #6
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

I heard of it, I didnt watch it thought, I figured it would be abother show that horribly depics teenagers as troubled rebilous people who have major problems at school.

Maybe I was wrong.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 09-03-2002, 10:35 PM   #7
MagiK

Actually IR it was about the real tangible physical aspects of teens brains and the way it affected them. I would imagine since the organ involved is your BRAIN that you (or any teen) may not even be able to notice the effect in themselves....kind of a weird thought really....how would you know something was happening if your brain is not wired to register the fact that something is happening?

Anyway the show was not about dissing teens, it was about documenting physical, chemical, hormonal and emmotional changes.

[ 09-04-2002, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 09-04-2002, 03:33 AM   #8
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

I myslef am a 16 year old and I have to admit that I DO have problems reading facial expressions... maby I just need stronger glasses... but for some reason I can still read my cats facial expressions!?!?! I have trouble reading the facial expressions of my own species but I can still tell if the cat is smiling!

[ 09-04-2002, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: Dagorion ]
Old 09-04-2002, 11:29 AM   #9
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

It's no big secret that kids these days are being pushed beyond their natural limits. It's the way of things. The sooner you develop, the further you can go in life. It takes time to learn things. I've often wished I could be a teenager again with a mind like I have now. I know I push my ten year old, but you have to push them. In these days of latch key kids, they have to develop discipline early on. They usually don't have the luxury of a live at home mom. By the time I get home and check on whether my son has forgotten anything from school, it's too late to send him back to get it. If he forgets his key and locks himself out, I have to leave work early and lose income. If he forgets his spelling words, I can't help him study them and he subsequently gets a bad grade. HE HAS TO REMEMBER HIS RESPONSIBILITIES HIMSELF. There's no other option. It's in kids nature to forget, but it's a luxury they don't have anymore.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:00 PM   #10
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

As for reading facial expressions, I dont seem to have any problems with it, at least,I dont think I have problems with it. I think I can distinguish a surprised look from an unhappy look, or a bored look from a sleepy look.

Hehe, Dagorion, I have 2 cats, the always have the same expression on their face, ones is "I am too good for this" and the others is "I am happy, happy happy!"
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge