Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2007, 05:56 AM   #31
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Dron_Cah:
quote:
As Steven Colbert once said, "Agnostics are just Athiests without balls."

And, it's actually quite sad that Athiests are regarded in today's society as evil, or satanic. Fact of the matter being, we probably outnumber the jewish community. Just too disbanded, and afraid to join together.

Given that most people pull the "Hitler was Athiest! Stalin was athiest! Athiests are EVIL" mantra, that fear is founded...
Actually, IIRC, Hitler professed to be Lutheran. Doesnt really change the "atheists are evil" thing, but kinda interesting, nevertheless. [/QB][/QUOTE]Bah, after fifteen minutes, the TOS has trumped every response to the "evil" thang that i can come up with. Guess i'm going to Hell. Shall i grab some road beers?

As for Atheists banding together, wouldn't that make us a religion? I'll have to invent my own if that ever happens...
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:44 AM   #32
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Nah, you could just be a social club.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #33
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

These guys did not belive = period. To them hell was just a four letter word with no meaning! In memory, they never spoke as such either.
Respectfully, they did not have some of the same sayings that the majors had, things were never damned when they, or the Pagans and Wiccans for that matter, were involved.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #34
Sever

As an atheist, my ponderings of the unknown are governed only by what i choose not to believe in. If i say i'm going to Hell, it's to be taken with a pinch of salt at the behest of the overwhelming majority who believe that i am, indeed, going to Hell. Apologies if my use of the four letter word caused offense.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 04-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #35
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I have always thought "pagan" to be merely a slightly derogatory term for anyone who does not follow the mainstream religion. Like heathen or infidel.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #36
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Ahh. I see through it now! None taken and I'm sure none were intended, I just totally missed it, and to add insult to injury, you even put a emoticon in there! Doh!
IG; did you by chance catch RTBs description? That makes it a very easily understood explanation.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #37
Sever

That's ok felix. If it makes you feel better, it took me several read-throughs before i'd gotten the correct jist of yours. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'm blaming it on Easter drinks.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 04-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #38
Lucern
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Greasel:
I have always thought "pagan" to be merely a slightly derogatory term for anyone who does not follow the mainstream religion. Like heathen or infidel.
Quote:
IG; did you by chance catch RTBs description? That makes it a very easily understood explanation.
In my reckoning, you're both right, yet both statements are incomplete. Pagan was a label given to a large variety of non-Christian religions. This is an important part of the term, because it gets at the violent past of the eradication of peoples and religions. What it doesn't do is seek to understand those religions. It only understands them as what they're not - Christian. Nor does it seek to understand them as differing belief systems. This is where I find the latter statement incomplete. The goodly Bard's understanding is one example. There are many others, much of which we'll never be able to know much about, others of which are newer and idiosyncratic - which is not to say they are any less valid. Any attempt to understand a single pagan belief system misses these truths. In this spirit, Felix, it sounds like you did right by your men's belief systems - understanding what each called himself to actually mean - surely you can readily appreciate the multiple meanings attributable to any of those labels. Also, I was sorry to read your edit.

As an interesting aside - to try to find a spring/moon = female trend is one thing - but as a rule is another entirely. I don't mean to identify anyone with having this goal, but this was a world-wide social science project in the 50's and 60's. In my anthropological training thus far, reading up on the discipline's history has shown me that our previous efforts to find global structures of belief were misguided and did nothing to help us to actually understand each particular belief system. Read up (ie, wiki [img]smile.gif[/img] ) on structuralism (Ferdinand de Sassure, early, Claude Levi-Strauss, later and most influential) if you want to know how this system was to work, and where it broke down.

As another interesting aside, consider the diverse pagan influences on some religious holidays, like the painting of colored eggs. Sometimes we speak of entities as though they have clearly defined edges, where one religion ends and another begins. Sometimes we need to recognize what we miss when we do that (like, for example, that not everyone who calls themselves X understands X to mean the same things). Atheism/agnosticism are particularly good examples of this, because these are often very individual. My atheism has different origins, attributes, and emphasis, I'll wager, than Sever's or Kyrvias's.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #39
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

My "definition" was intended to explain my beliefs. Paganism does indeed have many variations, just as there are several "versions", for lack of a better word right now, of Christianity. Pagans can be dumped into a large category in the same way that Christians can. More in line with the "they don't follow this path", than the actual path they follow. Baptists are different from Catholics, for example only, but both are Christian. They follow the same book, and the same teachings, but in different ways. This isn't just a random thought either, as in my youth, I was associated with both branches of the Faith.

Edit: Sorry to single this out, but I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet. Pagan is used as more than a slightly derogatory term, to this day. While it's not as likely to lead to being burned at the stake today as in days past. I believe it's due to a lack of understanding, more than malicious intent, in most cases though. I came up with the quarter idea while discussing this with a person that said I was a Satanist when I said I was Pagan. While I do suppose that Satanism could be dumped into the stack with Paganism, the reverse cannot apply.

[ 04-08-2007, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: robertthebard ]
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #40
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Keeping things calm here, I would not agree with your explanation of "Agnostic" SK.
Rather, mildly worded, an "Agnostic":
"An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth in matters such as God and the future life with which Christianity and other religions are concerned".

Or in so much as: "An agnostic regards the Bible exactly as enlightened clerics regard it. He does not think that it is divinely inspired; he thinks its early history legendary, and no more exactly true than that in Homer".

And: "Since an agnostic does not believe in God, he cannot think that Jesus was God. Most agnostics admire the life and moral teachings of Jesus as told in the Gospels, but not necessarily more than those of certain other men. Some would place him on a level with Buddha, some with Socrates and some with Abraham Lincoln".
You're a little off.

Agnostics and Atheiests are indeed what I described. What you are describing are agnostics who are also athiests, and it is possible to be both. That last paragraph refers to athiesm, agnostics simply believe that the existence (or lack thereof) of God is unknowable and irrelevant.

Here's a reference from Wikipedia.