Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 03-11-2002, 05:28 PM   #1
Viscer Spineshank
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I haven't done much testing...but does anyonek now if there is a maximum allowable skill gain per level?

Can a mage at level one practice wizardry or fire up to a maximum amount?
Viscer Spineshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 06:10 PM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The natural maximum for any skill is 100. That does not go by level. You could practice magic (or combat, or anything else), not take your level ups, and still increase your skills.

Of course, as your skills rise, it takes longer to get an increase.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 07:04 PM   #3
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

I think Viscer was referring the the points you get to assign when leveling up. So far I get 6 points to play with in screen1 (dex, etc.), 1 for a magic spell (if appropriate) and 9 points for last screen (stealth, ranged combat, magic shools, etc.). This seems almost universal for characters. But I once created a character, faerie bishop?, that seems to give much more. I think it had 5 points per slot (dex, etc.), maybe 10 total in first screen? Anyone else care to comment?
Old 03-11-2002, 07:25 PM   #4
Jem
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Ziggurat:
But I once created a character, faerie bishop?, that seems to give much more. I think it had 5 points per slot (dex, etc.), maybe 10 total in first screen? Anyone else care to comment?

If you have started brand new parties, you will get extra points for level-ups for the first 4 rises. Once you are 5 going to 6, you drop to the standard 6 and 9. This bonus is supposed to put new characters on more of a level with imported characters, who can do 4 level-ups immediately but only at the 6 and 9 standard. Those extra points are determined by your race and chosen class, which is what that one page in the manual that lists who gets what bonus points for what classes is for.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:31 PM   #5
Viscer Spineshank
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually....I was referring to the maximum number of skill increases you could get per level. As a level one mage could I cast light over and over and over again and get wizardry and fire up to say 75....then at level 2, convert to a priest and cast heal over and over and over again raising divine and divinity......to eventually making a bishop that is level 5ish that has 75ish in all skills?

Or is there a cap?

This post was in referrence to a poster that stated that the realm that is checked against is the realm of that current class....regardless of whether the spell is in a different realm or not. If there is no maximum skill/realm advancement with usage per level, could one create a decent bishop before level 4 or 5......obviously dealing with some bordom in practicing?
Viscer Spineshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 08:50 PM   #6
ice3
Drow Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Viscer Spineshank:
Actually....I was referring to the maximum number of skill increases you could get per level. As a level one mage could I cast light over and over and over again and get wizardry and fire up to say 75....then at level 2, convert to a priest and cast heal over and over and over again raising divine and divinity......to eventually making a bishop that is level 5ish that has 75ish in all skills?

Casting over and over light will not raise your skill very fast. By experience, If the spell has no effect you don't get a bonus. So you should cast light then cast another fire spell. Light again. If you have only light to cast, cast it wait a little (walk, talk, fight, etc.. ) then cast again. You will have much more chance to raise your skill.

Priest and Psionic are easy schools to raise insane high at low level (Charm and Mindread). All the buffing spells are just as good to use to raise by practicing. I have a bishop level 10 and she has already 3 shools in the 60th. I just have trouble to raise alchemy (mixing potions isn't very rewarding )
Old 03-11-2002, 10:24 PM   #7
Nix
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by Viscer Spineshank:

If there is no maximum skill/realm advancement with usage per level, could one create a decent bishop before level 4 or 5......obviously dealing with some bordom in practicing?

Theoretically, yes you could, up to a skill level of 100. AFAIK, this is the ultimate limit to raising skills through practice. However, I imagine it will be extremely tedious to attempt this if your class level is too low, for two reasons: (1) your spell points will be too low, requiring frequent resting; and (2) low power of spells you can learn at that class level, so that the incremental gains from casting would be too low. Also, I believe the amount of practice required to raise skills goes up exponentially with the skill level.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 11:39 PM   #8
ice3
Drow Warrior

quote:

(1) your spell points will be too low, requiring frequent resting.

Yes, but having level 2 or 3 spells is enough to rise insane high. Also you don't need resting. The trik is to have mana stones (3 or more the better). Each stone give arrund 200 mana with 3 charges. Go to He'li cast, use stone 2x then sell it-buy it. It will recharge the stone and you get virtually infinit mana. Don't bother with money. If you don't patch the game you have infinit money with PPing.

quote:

low power of spells you can learn at that class level, so that the incremental gains from casting would be too low. Also, I believe the amount of practice required to raise skills goes up exponentially with the skill level.

Yes it is exponential. But not that extream. With a level 2 spell like charm you can raise up to 60 your school without much trouble. The realms goes up much faster. Tring to reach level 60 in the priest or psionic scholl with charm will bring your mental realm in the 90th. If you train with mindread you'll top the mental realm very quickly and your psionic school will be in the 90th without much pain.

The best is to constanlty cast the buffin spells with your spellcasters. That brings up the schools and realms very well. If you have hybrid calsses try to cast One spell at max power each fight. The fights will nearly always give training points to the eralms or schools.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:31 AM   #9
Nix
The Magister

Ice3,
Like I said, it's certainly possible, it all depends on the player's patience for repetitive clicking, ad nauseum. I've certainly done a lot of it myself, but there comes a point when it significantly affects my enjoyment of the game. Your points are valid, but subjective --- everyone of us just has to find out what his threshold for boredom is and go from there. I was specifically reacting to Viscer Spinshank's question about raising skills up to 75 for a level 1 mage. That's just too much tedium for my taste.

With regards to your point about infinite money, my point really is that you need to do a lot of clicking --- it's immaterial whether you regain you SPs thru resting, or through consuming mana stones, potions etc., all these actions require tedious actions. Is it easier/faster to rest, or to consume mana stones, and sell and buy back from He'li? Time doesn't make a difference in the game anyway, so why bother with the mana stones?
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 01:30 AM   #10
dale
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by ice3:

I just have trouble to raise alchemy (mixing potions isn't very rewarding )

I didn't seem to have that much trouble getting my ranger's alchemy up high. Whenever I went to mix potions, I made certain to split them up into one jar per slot for each of his 8 slots. That gives more experience towards getting more skill points.

My favorite is L.Heal+M.Heal => H.Heal, followed by adding cure light condition and or cure disease.

I also let my Lord and Val identify the result to gain skill points in mental realm.

With Alchemy, money is no problem. I have about 3.5 Million now (near end game).