Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Have we any in IW? Don't be shy now...I want to pick your "databanks".
Old 04-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Trekkies? Yes, definately. Unfortunately, there has been little to discuss as of late. Not since the unfortunately demise of Enterprise. Quite a pity that, the show showed some real potential after the first two seasons..
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well let's get a discussion going eh? Firstly, I uh don't consider myself a trekkie really however I do have every season of STV on DVD and have seen practically every episode of the rest of 'em bar Enterprise on TV. I don't know everything about star trek like some of the fans do but I definately enjoy it. My all time fave is Voyager. I think the idea was original and storylines were the best yet. It's good to see how Kate Mulgrew grew into her role over the seasons, by season 3 you can easily observe how comfortable she is with it and notice the difference in her character.

I have some problems with the acting and the storylines at times, like I don't blindly love something just because it has Star Trek in the name y'know? Like DS9 sometimes the plot developments and acting combined were just so retarded I would change channels because I couldn't bare to watch it struggle. In DS9 I feel they broke many rules for the sake of keeping the old crew together (thoughts?)

Anyways I saw a few episodes of Enterprise but I almost feel like a step into the past was a bad move. There is also the argument of "Where were they supposed to go?" since the exploration of space and new frontiers thing has already been done. So really I don't know where they were supposed to go but I just don't think it was where they went (or perhaps *how* they went there). That and the fact that I expected the captain's friend 'Al' to appear on the bridge at any moment, informing him he is in "the wrong time and is about to leap" [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-16-2006, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 04-16-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Don't get me started about Voyager. That series ruined the Borg and there was way too much time travel. I definately didn't want to know that The Federation will last at least another half a millenium. What's the fun in knowing outfront that every enemy will be defeated?
I also found the cast to be quite annoying at times. Characters like Neelix, Harry Kim , Tuvok, Chakotay and Janeway are on my blacklist of least favorite sci-fi characters. One char I did like was The Doctor. Not only was there some serious character development there, he's also quite hillarious. I especially liked his cameo in First Contact. "Borg implants can cause severe skin irritations. Perhaps you'd like an analgesic cream?"
I don't agree completly with your critism of Enterprise, btw. Where are they supposed to go? Towards The Federation of course. The whole political process of bringing (for instance) the Vulcans and the Andorians together was depicted quite nicely.

[ 04-16-2006, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

<--Trekkie
Fan of Deep Space 9, the best Star Trek series out there. Enterprise and The Next Generation are tied for second spot. As for Voyager, it was the first ST show aired in my parts, and I know most of the episodes' scripts by heart [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Don't get me started about Voyager. That series ruined the Borg and there was way too much time travel. I definately didn't want to know that The Federation will last at least another half a millenium. What's the fun in knowing outfront that every enemy will be defeated?
I also found the cast to be quite annoying at times. Characters like Neelix, Harry Kim , Tuvok, Chakotay and Janeway are on my blacklist of least favorite sci-fi characters. One char I did like was The Doctor. Not only was there some serious character development there, he's also quite hillarious. I especially liked his cameo in First Contact. "Borg implants can cause severe skin irritations. Perhaps you'd like an analgesic cream?"
I don't agree completly with your critism of Enterprise, btw. Where are they supposed to go? Towards The Federation of course. The whole political process of bringing (for instance) the Vulcans and the Andorians together was depicted quite nicely.
The was alot of time travel no doubt. I love time-travel though personally. Still, I agree and plus the fact that they had to ruin the final episode by using time-travel to avoid explaining all kinds of crap (time-travel = easymode).

Didn't we learn back in TNG that the federation would be about for years to come? I remember seeing quite a few alternate federation unifroms too. Just saying, maybe I'm wrong since it's been a while.

I didn't like many of the chars that you didn't when I first started watching. Maybe they either grew on me or I now like 'em, I dunno. I didn't like Janeway as a captain either but I truly felt she grew into the part as the series progressed and now I think she's great.

The doctor is indeed hilarious ("I'm a doctor not a doorstop"). I think that's why they brought him in FC, all the fans seem to love him. Some of the lines he says would just sound corny if Harry Kim or Tom Paris said them but somehow his manner makes it all the more funnier. <3 Doctor.

Enterprise just annoys me. I don't want to hear about the past. I don't want to watch the past when I know what the future already is. I don't care to see inferior technology and methods when I have already been spoiled by the new stuff. It's just me I guess. Hard-core fans would probably love all the history involved etc. but it isn't at all provoking to me. I tried a few episodes, and the storylines were there etc. but it just felt like I was watching another space series on the sci-fi channel.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
catzenpewters
Manshoon

I loved pretty much all the Star Treks, except maybe the original. It's just too corny now. All the shows had their good and bad points, but the longer you watched the more attached you became to the characters. Enterprise was just starting to get in stride when they quit.

In Enterprise I had hoped for a first contact situation between Earth and the Betazoids. Now THAT could've been hilarious!
catzenpewters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

So Enterpise actually folded? I thought it was running just not on many channels is all. Did they not complete the series then, like was it axed?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Enterprise finished it's 4th season and really the best one they had, but was not picked up for a 5th, the first two were spent trying to find a focus and reason to exist, the third was sidetracked with "rubber" episodes, time travel episodes, and a poorly written western.

By rubber I mean they would make a major change (say give a character incurable cancer or leave a crewmember behind for a time in exchange for intel, etc and by the end of the episode (or the next episode if it was a 2 episode arc) everything was back exactly the way it always had been.

By the time the 4th season came around and I had time to watch it again I had completely lost interest and the show just couldn't come close to regaining it. At least it wasn't as bad as Voyager (ignoring the prime directive 85% of the time, UNLESS doing so would get them home (or even home faster)).
Old 04-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
Pangur Ban

I was a Star Trek fan for many years, and collected all the episodes as they were released.

It was Voyager that killed my enjoyment of Star Trek. The two things I really disliked ...

1. It seemed that all problems in episodes could be solved by a generous helping of "techno-babble", rather than a good story plotline.

2. Weak, stereotyped characters and cheesy dialog - with the exception of the doctor.

Voyager also killed off my most of my love of Star Trek genre as a whole. I never even wanted to look at Enterprise. About a month I sold my full sets of Deep Space 9, and Next Gen, and only kept my tapes of the original series.

[ 04-22-2006, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Pangur Ban ]