Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2001, 07:47 AM   #1
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Anybody here have any powerful, mysterious or just plain odd experiences with yew trees?

Dio and I visited a yew grove last week - well, it was actually a park full of yews, about 12,000 in all, with some of them well over 1000 years old.

We spent some time in this very old grove, the trees must have been 12-1500 years old - and I started to feel very odd indeed. Apart from the natural awe at being in the presence of such very old beings, I felt slightly afraid, (maybe this was due to the shape of the trees - - has anyone SEEN yew trees? They look as though they are crippled, and in great pain, due to the way the branches seem contorted. Of course, this is only my perception - anthropomorphising them, as is our human tendency... )

But anyway, yes, I felt a little fearful, some strange things going on around the solar plexus and heart centre, - also I began to feel desperately sad, - actually I did start crying. Also a feeling of forboding and oppression. The old groves had been the scenes of battles many hundreds of years ago, - not sure if picking up on that - also there would have been much human activity of all sorts going on in and around the groves, I am sure, some of it to do with worship and ritual, perhaps.

I don't know. In general, I love trees, - but these, I don't know. My reaction to them was very very powerful, - anyone got any ideas, similar experiences?

I'm so glad we went to see them, though. It was an experience I wouldn't have missed for the world! Thanks Dio!! (Dio rented a car when he was over here. Normally, I wouldn't have got there, as it's too far to go on the bicycle, - Im not that fit!!)

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Old 10-22-2001, 08:08 AM   #2
Conan

Wow! I would have loved to have been with you guys. The only time I have felt like that was in California. Huge ancient Redwoods put the canopy over me. Got any pics Silver one? If so send me one and I will post it here for you

------------------
*\Conan/* of the Peace Keeping Force

Old 10-22-2001, 08:33 AM   #3
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Silver Cheetah, hon, I know just what you mean. I've never felt sadness such as you describe, but sensed things, yes. I fully believe that a place can hold emotional 'energy'. Especially where rituals or violenct actions are present. Apparently, the age of these trees has allowed them to 'absorb' some of the energies that have been present through the ages. I simply MUST visit that grove when I go to Europe in June. I am fascinated by places such as this. I hope you came away with more awe than sadness, though. I'd hate it if that was solely an unpleasant experience for you. I have other views about your reaction, but I won't state them here. I'd be laughed off the board. If I may, I'll e-mail you tonight.

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-22-2001, 09:41 AM   #4
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

maybe you're a wood druid

I was very sad when I saw the rainforest trees being chopped down on the TV news...

------------------

HEY! get away from my homepage!!
The Host of Sigs

[This message has been edited by adam warlock (edited 10-22-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 01:58 PM   #5
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
Wow! I would have loved to have been with you guys. The only time I have felt like that was in California. Huge ancient Redwoods put the canopy over me. Got any pics Silver one? If so send me one and I will post it here for you

Hiya Conan! Hope everything is good with you.

Yes, Dio took some piccies, but I don't have them here, he took them back with him. Hopefully when he gets them developed we can put one on the site. Those Redwoods sound awesome. How long ago did you have that experience?

------------------

Old 10-22-2001, 02:04 PM   #6
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Silver Cheetah, hon, I know just what you mean. I've never felt sadness such as you describe, but sensed things, yes. I fully believe that a place can hold emotional 'energy'. Especially where rituals or violenct actions are present. Apparently, the age of these trees has allowed them to 'absorb' some of the energies that have been present through the ages. I simply MUST visit that grove when I go to Europe in June. I am fascinated by places such as this. I hope you came away with more awe than sadness, though. I'd hate it if that was solely an unpleasant experience for you. I have other views about your reaction, but I won't state them here. I'd be laughed off the board. If I may, I'll e-mail you tonight.

Hi DragonMage dearest, yes, *please* do email me, I would be *very* interested in your view on this, especially as it is the first time I have had a reaction as strong as this. I've picked up on stuff before, but NEVER to that extent.

I left the grove with very mixed feelings, - gratitude for the experience was one of them, even though it was not one of unmixed pleasure! But it was incredible indeed to be in the presence of such beings, who were most definitely, but DEFINITELY, sentient!

PS. If you'd like to visit the yew grove, I would be most happy to accompany you. Where else are you going in Europe? I have lived in various European countries, so if I can be of any help in any way, do please let me know. It would be a pleasure for an absolute sweetheart like yourself .

------------------

Old 10-22-2001, 02:08 PM   #7
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by adam warlock:
maybe you're a wood druid

I was very sad when I saw the rainforest trees being chopped down on the TV news...

Hey, I wish...... The rainforest trees - yes, that just kills me also. The amount of illegal logging that goes in is horrendous, not to mention the stuff that is legal. We are losing irreplaceable rainforest at a rate of knots.... Just one more of the rapes that we humans are collectively carrying out on the body of our planet. I can't think about the rainforest too much. Makes me cry...... My best friend Hester has been to the Amazon rainforest. She fell totally in love.......

------------------

Old 10-22-2001, 02:15 PM   #8
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

BTW, Silver Cheetah, are you on AIM?
Old 10-22-2001, 03:10 PM   #9
Conan

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Hiya Conan! Hope everything is good with you.

Yes, Dio took some piccies, but I don't have them here, he took them back with him. Hopefully when he gets them developed we can put one on the site. Those Redwoods sound awesome. How long ago did you have that experience?

I think in 1996. I was in California putting up a tradeshow and had some extra time while it was going on.
It was like standing next to an ocean! I felt so small and overwhelmed at the same time. Great outdoor experience isnt it. Yew have to show me the pics

------------------
*\Conan/* of the PeaceKeeping Force

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 10-22-2001).]

Old 10-22-2001, 03:25 PM   #10
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
BTW, Silver Cheetah, are you on AIM?
No, not yet! But Dio told me about it and I want to be. Apparently there was something wrong with it before - I tried a few weeks ago to get it on my machine and it didn't work. Is it ok now, do you know??

------------------