Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2002, 06:37 PM   #11
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
Sadly its all about the money. The few borded teens who are intent on watching MTV dont care about the music.

Now I must say I watch VH1 somtime, I watch behind the music alot, well the ones I havent seen over and over. Its a good show, IMO. But yeah for the most part your right Yorrick.

But like Moni said, get satelitle. I get MTV, MTV2 witch is a decent chanel that claims it be "24 hours of music Veidos" but they are starting to change a bit. I also get VH1 and a caindain channel called MuchMusic.

As well as other channels that dont show veidos, just music. There is a bloody ton of them.

Channel X (whatever that supouse to mean.) Dance, Metal, Alternivtive, Classic Rock, Rock Hits, Hit List, Jazz, Blues, Light Jazz, classic, Light Classic, New Country, Classic Country, among others. Its kina silly really.

I like VH1 much better. They atleast show some veidos. 95% of MTVs shows have nothing at all to do with music.

I agree - I get all those channels you mentioned (except Channel X which I've never heard of) - I have MTV, MTV2, MTV Hits, MTV Base, some other MTV channel, VH1, VH1 Classic, Q, Kerrang, Smash Hits, The Box, and some others too - and they are ALL bollocks. They are afflicted by loads and loads of advertising - in fact VH1 is the worst for that, I would say 10 minutes ads to every 15 mins music - that is NOT a good ratio. MTV2 is OK sometimes (the best of a bad bunch), but it has a VERY limited playlist so the same songs play over and over and over.

I'm sorry, but if anyone thinks that is good programming it just goes to show how easily you can get used to the mind-numbing stagnantion which is sadly prevalent on TV and radio. Where is the innovation? Where are the up and coming bands that no-one has heard of? Music channels are no worse IMHO than any other channel on TV - all channels are plagued by endless reruns, advertising, second rate films, cheap documentaries, even cheaper quiz-shows - I mean come on, lets try to get some imagination on the box instead of sitting in front of the glowing screen while our brains disintegrate and our creativity is stunted....

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: Epona ]

Old 03-03-2002, 08:32 PM   #12
Moni

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

I'm sorry, but if anyone thinks that is good programming it just goes to show how easily you can get used to the mind-numbing stagnantion which is sadly prevalent on TV and radio. Where is the innovation? Where are the up and coming bands that no-one has heard of? Music channels are no worse IMHO than any other channel on TV - all channels are plagued by endless reruns, advertising, second rate films, cheap documentaries, even cheaper quiz-shows - I mean come on, lets try to get some imagination on the box instead of sitting in front of the glowing screen while our brains disintegrate and our creativity is stunted....

Amen and Bravo!

If only the underground music scene could actually surface...corporate profiteering would get washed out of the picture.

I was listening to ZROCK the day (and minute) it got pulled off the air (LOL an Awwww all in one breath )...Alice in Chains was old news in my library by the time they made corporate airplay and my son had Greenday CD's a full year before the local radio stations had even heard of them.
I haven't found any underground connections since I have been in Texas, but if I do, I'll keep you all tuned in to what's going on and where the real varieties in your tastes can be found. Maybe we can find something on the net?!

Old 03-04-2002, 07:56 AM   #13
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Moni:

Amen and Bravo!

If only the underground music scene could actually surface...corporate profiteering would get washed out of the picture.

I was listening to ZROCK the day (and minute) it got pulled off the air (LOL an Awwww all in one breath )...Alice in Chains was old news in my library by the time they made corporate airplay and my son had Greenday CD's a full year before the local radio stations had even heard of them.
I haven't found any underground connections since I have been in Texas, but if I do, I'll keep you all tuned in to what's going on and where the real varieties in your tastes can be found. Maybe we can find something on the net?!

Moni, I firmly believe that TV could be a wonderful thing! It is an excellent medium for all kinds of educational, informational, inspirational ideas - that never see the light of day! Radio tends to be better, simply because it is not beyond the realms of possibility for individuals or small groups of people to start a radio station and make their own shows - so there is more room for innovation, even if they few and far between.

The problem with TV is that the costs mean advertising is usually necessary - and if you are too controversial, or fail to go for the lowest common denominatior to win the ratings war, you don't get the advertising revenue because companies either won't spend the money advertising on your channel, or they don't want their product associated with you. I have to say that some of the best TV in the UK is on BBC - which is funded by the government through license fees (everyone has to pay £100 a year for a TV license) - and BBC documentaries, dramas, and comedy series have a good reputation the world over - simply because they are free of the concerns of the major advertisers. However, state TV may not always be the way to go, the BBC has to be careful not to be too controversial since it has a reputation to uphold and is a public service which could, in theory, have a negative impact on the state or the government of the day - or could go the other way and be seen to be propaganda. Although the BBC errs on both counts occassionally, it is the best of a bad bunch!!