Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2002, 04:47 AM   #11
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
Unfortunately, I would have to give the poor student from Micah's post a "B". He hypothesizes that if souls exist then they must have mass; sadly, this is not always the case. Many things exist but have no mass. My next question to him would have been: rest mass or relativistic mass? Also, to speak of Hell expanding or contracting implies either some sort of volumetric limitation, since a limitless expanse may neither shrink nor expand. Besides, set theory/topology proves that you may slice apart the volume of a golf ball, throw away some of the volume, then reconstruct a volume the size of the Sun; to measure the expansion/contraction of Hell implies a measurable volume--a task I, personally, would not care to undertake.

hmmm....went a little of the deep end there for a sec. Oh, well.

Not at all. Well done. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 03-02-2002, 03:30 PM   #12
andrewas
Harper

quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
Unfortunately, I would have to give the poor student from Micah's post a "B". He hypothesizes that if souls exist then they must have mass; sadly, this is not always the case. Many things exist but have no mass [/font]

name one.

Photon? nope.

neutrino? nope.

graviton? nope.

tachyon? hypothetical, but still no.

proof:

E=MC^2.

if M = 0 (no mass) then MC^2 = 0, then E=0, therefore no energy either. No mass and No energy means it dosent exist.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:36 PM   #13
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:

name one.

Love, hope, language, music theory, philosophy, anger - anything abstract rather than concrete.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 03-02-2002, 08:17 PM   #14
Tancred
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Love, hope, language, music theory, philosophy, anger - anything abstract rather than concrete.

Ooo! You're rapidly approaching the inevitable 'What defines existence?' question there, Yorick.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:24 PM   #15
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
LOL. That reminds me of the story of the Philosophy prof who, on the final exam, merely came in and wrote on the blackboard the simple question, "Why?" Most students wrote long answers and got poor grades. The only two "A's" were for the answers, "Because," and "Why not?"

Now that is definitely a myth . Most probably made up by someone who doesn't understand philosophy and how it is taught. Like a friend of mine asked me once what we did in Philosophy of Consciousness tutorials, "like, talk about the 'if the tree fell in the forest' thing or something". Duh