Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2002, 05:59 AM   #1
Dakkon Darkblade
The Magister

*sighs* Hey everyone, I used to come to these forums a lot, but then I had a lot of computer trouble and finally, finally am back up and working again. Now, I have been a fan of the BG series since the beginning, having BG1, BG1: ToSC, BG2, and BG2: TOB... as well as the games Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Fallout, Fallout 2, and Planescape: Torment.

Now, as you can tell, I like these games, and would have Neverwinter Nights if my computer was decent enough for it - but it's not, so I am stuck playing these still every now and again when I get bored, trying new and different things out with the games. I've played since the very beginning and up and out through the Ascension, beating that and loving the endings and final battles.

Recently, I've reinstalled BG2 (with the patch)... but upon trying to install BG2: ToB, it always fails it's installation because one of the files on my disk is corrupted... none other than data2.cab, which handles a lot of the game. It's about 26 megs last time I checked, and it gets to having 10 seconds left on the installation (or file copy, because I've tried several ways by now as you can imagine), and it starts actually going backwards in the time left, before quitting on me. So, as you can tell, I need this file... every other file on the disk works, and in fact, I was able to copy them all to my hard drive where I could do a hard drive installation, like I've done in the past. The only thing I need is this file, data2.cab, on the Throne of Bhaal CD, and I'll be set and playing it again, able to install the update for Throne of Bhaal that I still have downloaded, and also the Ascension once more. (I'm looking to play through the game with a certain select group, and ran into this problem.)

So, now that you know my predicament, would anyone be able to help me possibly? I need someone to somehow get this file to me, send it, or let me download it from somewhere if they know where to get it. Now, some generous person with a cable, dsl, or higher would be the best for this... for it does happen to be a rather big file. I'm thinking the ways that it could be sent could be through e-mail, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, or MSN Messenger - I have all of those except ICQ, though I have the installation file on my computer, and would install it for this. Now, there's a couple other ways, which could work maybe - and those are P2P transfer such as using KaZaa or Morpheus or something else that works - or there are places where someone can upload files onto servers for however long (I think there was one site that let you upload up to 50 Megs, a portable hard drive thing it was, I think, I could easily find it again), and that would work too, and might be the best way, because I would be able to download from their server any time without having the other person around... and also, I can use a program like Download Accelerator Plus to be able to save the download and continue it later - like GoZilla.

Now... can anyone help me? Please? Pretty please?
Old 08-26-2002, 09:07 AM   #2
daan
Silver Dragon

[img]tongue.gif[/img] Well dont ask me, 'cause i have a 56k ...,
but file-transfer -given that a file was corrupted- happens quite regularly around here. So in case your still hoping and ne1 else had replied yet, dont worry, help will arive

[img]graemlins/shine.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dance2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1djsmile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dance2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/shine.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2002, 10:55 AM   #3
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Alright, where in my BG file could I find the data2.cad?

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 10:44 PM   #4
Dakkon Darkblade
The Magister

Ah! Thank you, thank you... okay...

The file, data2.cab, can be found on the first window of the Throne of Bhaal CD. It's a cabinet file, as you can see by the extension, which basically makes it just a file that the setup program access when it's installing, extracting files from it and copying it into your Baldur's Gate 2 folder.

So, let's say your CD-ROM drive is your D:/ Drive (though obviously doesn't have to be, could be A:/, B:/, E:/... anything you would have named it)... but whatever your CD-ROM drive is, it will be in the first set of folders on that disk. Files you will see on the disk are...

(Folder) Bg2Info
(Folder) CD5
(Folder) DX8.0a
(Folder) Extra
Baldur.exe
Bgmain.exe
Setup.exe
layout.bin
setup.bmp
data1.cab
data2.cab
Autorun.ini
Setup.ini
ikernel.ex_
data1.hdr
TOBIcon.ico
Update.url
Setup.inx
D&D_Movie.mpg
autorun.inf
Power Users.txt
Readme.txt

Now... those should be all the files (save maybe a couple hidden dll's or something that I don't need either)... and as you can see, data2.cab is one of them. If your drive is the D:/ drive for your CD-ROM, then the path would be D:/data2.cab... simply put.

My e-mail is xen_nova@hotmail.com, anyone who can help me... e-mail me first if you can, and then we can discuss how we can transfer the file. I will note though, since I forgot last time, that I do have a 56k modem, so hence my wanting to upload it to some server. I looked up last night different temporarily free hard drives, and found a good page with many of them. What I could do is make an account and give you the login credentials to it, and then just have you, if you have a faster computer, upload it to their server temporarily, until I can download it with a pausing program.

We'll talk more, thanks anyone who can help me, or even responds!
Old 08-27-2002, 01:28 AM   #5
Grindar Silvermane
Manshoon

Location: Temple of Tempus: The High Hall of Swords and Banners
Hey Dakkon,

Check your email and let me know how you want me to get you the file you need
Old 08-27-2002, 02:14 AM   #6
Dakkon Darkblade
The Magister

Hey Grindar, I replied to your e-mail, we can continue talking through that, though anyone else who thinks they can help too, please still contact me, just in case - my motto is you never know.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:32 PM   #7
Dakkon Darkblade
The Magister

Gah... *sighs* I must have read it wrong before... I thought that file was 26 megs, remember? Turns out that file is 252,295 KB... yes, that means 246 Megs instead of those 26. *sighs* This complicates matters greatly... but not without hope yet.

Obviously I can't really be transferred that big of a file with a 56k modem on my side, but since the file is a cabinet file, we might still have hope.

Does anyone know where I can get a program that can look through cabinet files and possibly extract individual files, then maybe put them back together again? I will look myself, because all a cabinet file is is a container file, as I've said before... and I think I know which file(s) aren't agreeing with me, because it's a file or two inside that cabinet, not the whole thing itself.