Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-19-2001, 12:51 AM   #31
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I have started a solo human Archer under Insane difficulty, and I must say... it is painful so far... ...

But I shall march on, because I know he will become powerful later on, just need to level up some more.

STR: 18
DEX: 18
CON: 18
INT: 10
CHA: 08
WIS: 14

Racial Enemy: Demonic/Fell

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]

Old 11-19-2001, 10:22 AM   #32
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Magness:
Yorick,

Your point about selecting a racial enemy when you're starting at level 1 is well taken. Perhaps the DnD rules should allow a ranger to reselect racial enemy every 5 levels or so to accomodate the caliber of enemies they're likely to face.

Great idea! Send it in as a suggestion! [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-20-2001, 04:46 PM   #33
hagimihale
Manshoon

Legolas, after your comments I had to try the Archer so I started one friday night and am having a blast with it! Elven Archer with GM in longbow and a 19 dexterity is very powerful.

Question tho - with Tansheron's bow (spelling?) and Gesen Bow being short bows, would the proficiency be better off there? The 2 good longbows I remember are Heartseeker and Elven Court bow. Which has the best capabilities?
Old 11-20-2001, 05:30 PM   #34
Russ
Manshoon

quote:
Question tho - with Tansheron's bow (spelling?) and Gesen Bow being short bows, would the proficiency be better off there

If you're really roleplaying the mindset of your archer correctly, he'll have gotten really, really good with one type of missile weapon, and having come from the north, that'sprobably a longbow. But although he'll learn to use a melee weapon if he comes across a really cool one, it's slings and bows and crossbows and the like that really interest him, and so that's where he's most likely to start putting his extra proficiency slots... and in relatively short order, the problem solves itself.

Personally, with an archer, though I'm unfamiliar with the fully-assembled gesen bow, I'd definitely suck up a nonprof. penalty to use the Tuigan Bow...
Old 11-20-2001, 07:42 PM   #35
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by hagimihale:

Question tho - with Tansheron's bow (spelling?) and Gesen Bow being short bows, would the proficiency be better off there? The 2 good longbows I remember are Heartseeker and Elven Court bow. Which has the best capabilities?

The Elven Court bow has a +4 thac0, so nothing special. Take either the Mana Bow (+4 to hit, +1 dam., 20% resist mag. dam.) or the Heartseeker (+4 to hit, +2 dam, 9 seconds at additional +7 to hit).
The Heartseeker would be nice for the dragon battles. An additional +7 would go a long way.

In ToB the only other good longbow would be Taralash +4 (upgradeable).
Old 11-20-2001, 08:26 PM   #36
Aunora Moonvale
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So would a longbow be better to specialize in than a short bow or composite?
Old 11-20-2001, 08:28 PM   #37
SecretMaster
Apophis

I'd go with longbow. In the long run, its a lot better. Hang on, when it says archers can't where metal armor, does that mean chain too?
Old 11-20-2001, 11:07 PM   #38
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Aunora Moonvale:
So would a longbow be better to specialize in than a short bow or composite?

Composites count as long bows. I think the long bows are better than the shortbows.

[b] Welcome to the Board. [b] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2001, 12:59 AM   #39
Thrawn
The Magister

THis is for Soa only so imho the short bows are best, because they has magic arrows so you never need to gain up some arrows, if im correct there is no +3 to hit arrows in soa, only in Tob, and the other great stuff, so imho in soa the short bow are best, now if you got tob that's different story.
This is the place for Improved Ai Scripts by me<br /> [url]\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bwscript/files/PERSONAL/Iwishi\'s%20Stuff/\" target=\"_blank\">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bwscript/files/PERSONAL/Iwishi\'s%20Stuff/</A>