Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-12-2003, 11:30 AM   #31
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Historical note: In WWII, the Canucks had some really tough fighting in the ETO. They had their own beach at Normandy, and in the post-D-Day fighting, had to face one of the toughest (and cruellest) forces in the German forces (almost typed Wehrmacht, but of course they were not in it) the SS Hitler Youth Division. The Aussies were very active in Africa and in the naval war. As for a war between them, it's really tough to fight a war with a nation that you do not share a common border with, without allies... [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 12:37 PM   #32
Animal
Gold Dragon

It would probably de-generate into a drinking contest and after a while I doubt either side would remember why we where at war.
I do feel it necessary to comment on a few other posts.

Yes Canada does have a navy. Currently we have 2 diesel powered WWII subs, three tugboats, a freighter and a few fishing traulers off of the coast of Newfoundland.
There are many box office movies filmed here in BC.
Bush and Chretien don't get along overly well, I'm guessing it has something to do with Chretien's aide, Francoise Ducros, calling Bush a moron. I think it was one of those "Did I just say that out loud?" scenarios.
Yes, Australia may have Paul Hogan and Mel Gibson, but we have Wayne Gretzky and Patrick Roy!
I think in the end, we just end of giving Quebec to Australia as a peace offerring. It's not like we need it for anything
Old 01-12-2003, 12:50 PM   #33
MagiK

Who has a laeger population to pull form? Canada is only roughly 30 million people (4 or 5 large US cities worth). What is Ausielands population? Their tech levels are about the same, so It should come down to a battle of attrition [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2003, 02:31 PM   #34
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Canada has 10 million more people though. We have 20 million, Canada has 30 million.
Actually we have 31 million inhabitants. [img]tongue.gif[/img] A war between Canada and Australia? Let´s see... Any Australian invasion force would freeze to death up here and any Canadian invasion force would die from heat stroke in Australisa. Smells like a stale mate to me. [/QUOTE]Well, Willow, we could always send some of the snow and ice down to Austrailia and flood the place!
Old 01-12-2003, 02:44 PM   #35
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Country vs. Continent/Country....Hmmmm Lenny Loosejocks and Donga(go to shockwave.com and find Lenny LooseJocks.It's a game) would kick Canadian BUTT! And then Canada would pick up the Niagra falls and take it over to Austraila and turn it on high and flood them and then the world explode inside its snowglobe we call life....That did'nt make since did it?

[ 01-12-2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: SomeGuy ]
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 01-12-2003, 02:52 PM   #36
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

one on one if Canada & Australia went to war against each other.
Australia would waist them, all the Aussies would need to win is a couple of their football teams with each man carrying a club in each hand. Start the Aussies on the Alantic coast and head them west womping everything is sight.
Ten days later Canada would be called Australia North and the U.S.A. would say nice move Brothers!!!!
and off subject I finally made it to Elminister statis with over 400 posts. Yeah I know BIG DEAL only 400 posts in 8 years of coming here but whos counting.

[ 01-12-2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 01-12-2003, 02:57 PM   #37
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
There's one thing everyone here seems to forget.... Mack's killer beaver. I feel sorry for every Aussie intruder that comes near him.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:22 PM   #38
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Yes, Canada only has two WW2 diesel subs - but the West Edmonton Mall has three more we can reinforce with!

Australian subs wouldn't stand a chance - our flyers are famous for their prowess at anti-submarine work, routinely embarrassing the better equipped US forces in excercises.

As for troops, both the Canadian and Australian contingents are very professional volunteer troops with the Australians holding the edge with more modern weaponry. (Chretien still hasn't realized how nonsensical it is to underfund the military and give our American neighbours "the finger" year after year) I'm not sure of numbers, but we have VERY FEW combat ready troops, not enough to even fulfill our NATO commitments. I think the total force (including logisitics and operational resources) is around 60,000 or so.

Our Mounted Moose division would make short work of the Kangaroo Commandos (Ever seen a moose after it hit an eighteen wheel truck? It just shakes it's head and walks away from the demolished vehicle!)

Rabid Beavers are nothing to laugh at, either...

[ 01-12-2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]
Old 01-12-2003, 03:46 PM   #39
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by karlosovic:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Canada and Australia would have to be the least likely 2 nations to fight a war.... but then again, what were Australians doing invading Turkey?
What we were doing was sending troops to help out mother england when she invaded turkey. Why England invaded Turkey is a whole other question, the answer to which I have no idea. [/QUOTE]AFAIK they were trying to get control of the Dardanelles and therefore control the shipping lines to/from the black sea.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:10 PM   #40
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Who has a laeger population to pull form? Canada is only roughly 30 million people (4 or 5 large US cities worth). What is Ausielands population? Their tech levels are about the same, so It should come down to a battle of attrition [img]smile.gif[/img]
Tsk tsk Magik. That's already been answered in two posts brother.

http://www.hughwilson.com