Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2003, 04:03 AM   #11
homer
Manshoon

Quote:
Your conceptualising of 'space' as being 'something' is exactly what I'm talking about

Take the universe itself. It is said to be expanding. How can that which is infinite expand? Expanding implies a limit. But where the universe stops, there is nothing. No-thing. Space.

Also, you cannot go further than the end of the universe, because you are part of the universe. Wherever you are, so the universe is also.
The fact that the universe expands is what makes it infinite. Expanding dose not imply a limit, it only implies continuation.

You indicate, “ Wherever you are, so the universe is also”. This implies that there is no such thing as nothing. Whether or not we call that nothing “space” or any other such name, it still exists.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:53 AM   #12
Borvik
Drow Warrior

Cold and heat are a subjective description of the energy-level of materia. Hot materia has a higher enery-level than cold materia and is emitting more or less photons (I think) of a certain enery.
With dark and light it's similar - it's the presence or absence of photons. And we should keep in mind, that we aren't able to see the whole light spectrum! When we talk of dark, then we are meaning, that there are no photons, that we are able ot see.
Space.... That's a difficult one. If space wouldn't exist, than things would be very .. uhm ... tight. So, yep, space exists definitely!
We are very limited in understanding our world - so defining space=nothing, is only the way WE are able to see/feel/whatever it. IMO that doesn't have to mean, that there IS nothing or that something doesn't really exist.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:07 AM   #13
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Well I didn't have a whole lot of SPACE in my spare bedroom this morning, but after a good solid clean out there is now loads of it. For anyone that wants to personally witness the proof of the existance of this amazing space, please come visit me, and bring cider (no Fosters drinkers allowed ).

Now that I have space, the opportunities to fill this void in my life are now without number - I probably should take 2 Bex and have a good lie down to think things over .
Old 01-05-2003, 07:12 AM   #14
WillowIX
Apophis

I thought space was the intellectual term for the male brain. LLAO!! Cold is lack of heat. But since humans tend to be lazy we create words for everything. And I have to admit itīs easier to say "Itīs cold outside today" than "Ohh thereīs a lack of heat outside today". The same goes for light and dark I suppose although itīs near impossible to debate that as borvik pointed out. And if you want to debate "space" you need to clarify yourself Yorick. Some in here are talking about space, others about space and now Davros started talking about space! If you know what I mean.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:36 AM   #15
Borvik
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
I thought space was the intellectual term for the male brain. LLAO!! Cold is lack of heat. But since humans tend to be lazy we create words for everything. And I have to admit itīs easier to say "Itīs cold outside today" than "Ohh thereīs a lack of heat outside today". The same goes for light and dark I suppose although itīs near impossible to debate that as borvik pointed out. And if you want to debate "space" you need to clarify yourself Yorick. Some in here are talking about space, others about space and now Davros started talking about space! If you know what I mean.
LOL there are truly existing INTELLECTUAL terms for our ... brains? Well... uhmmm .... wait... Hey, I'm male! What did you insinuate??? ( )
Old 01-05-2003, 07:46 AM   #16
Gromnir
Dungeon Master

I personally believe that nothingness is an absence of something and so it does not exist in the material sense. However it does exist in the general sence that it is there. Same with cold and dark. Just because it is an absence of something does not imply that it doesn't exist in some sense.

Also, I think that the universe is just where the matter that was created in the big bang is, and that space is infinite and the universe is expanding in this infinite space.
Thinking of death while living,<br />This is the warrior\'s way<br />thinking of pain when in pleasure.<br />keeps you alive from day to day<br /><br />Time is a great teacher, and then kills all it\'s students.<br /><br />DJG\'s first official helper and second in command. <br /><br />
Old 01-05-2003, 08:11 AM   #17
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

in the blackness of space between the geatest distance of stars upon which light has not reached there is nothingess, maybe a little debris but aside from that its just a big oxygenless vacuum...

My question is : When was never?
Old 01-05-2003, 08:14 AM   #18
Gromnir
Dungeon Master

I think that billions of years ago the big bang happened, I don't know why or how but it did, that part could be discussed on a religion topic but before this there was was nothingness and therefore neverness. However it is mindboggling to think of an infinite nothingness.
Thinking of death while living,<br />This is the warrior\'s way<br />thinking of pain when in pleasure.<br />keeps you alive from day to day<br /><br />Time is a great teacher, and then kills all it\'s students.<br /><br />DJG\'s first official helper and second in command. <br /><br />
Old 01-05-2003, 09:07 AM   #19
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Cold is the lacking of heat.
There are places that lack heat. Therefore, cold exists.
Dark is the lacking of light. There are places that have no light. Therefore, dark must exist.

If we can experience it, it must exist. For that same reason, imagination must exist.
As for space - is there anywhere that lacks everything ?? No. If it has no matter, it is a vacuum. It doesn`t lack a name.

[ 01-05-2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 01-05-2003, 09:16 AM   #20
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Gromnir:
I think that billions of years ago the big bang happened, I don't know why or how but it did, that part could be discussed on a religion topic but before this there was was nothingness and therefore neverness. However it is mindboggling to think of an infinite nothingness.
But what is a year? The rate at which the earth orbits the sun is not constant, and indeed once upon a time it is likely that the earth didn't orbit the sun at all (indeed there was no 'Earth' as we know it at one stage...supposedly). It's hard to judge passage of time without the recognizable 'landmarks' to navigate with.