Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-28-2002, 02:35 PM   #1
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

In the style of channel four, here comes this thread! Not in the style of channel four they are in no particular order. These are just coming off the top of my head so please anyone feel free to add to them. I will not add the Elgin Marbles, but if Sir Byronas wishes to then he is quite welcome.

1. When giving colonies independance we pulled out the entire civil service at once. 40 years on we look at countries in disarray due to civil war and economic crisis and act gracious in cancelling debt. Hmmm, how very kind.

2. We invented concentration camps. Dutch Boers were the first victims, in a war which we started for our own colonial gain. Thousands of women and children died in them.

3. We have no right to silence. Under the 1995 Criminal Justice Act if a defendant says nothing in court the judge has a duty to explain to the dury that it is probably due to their guilt.

4. The government currently sponsors arms fairs for British companies in both India and Pakistan. Tony Blair then goes to both in front of as many cameras as possible to try and start peace talks.

5. 92 members of our legislative are decided by birthright. It is the year 2002 and we retain 92 hereditary legislators, I love this country...

6. First Ireland then Northern Ireland... need I say more...

7. Our electoral system dictates that an MP represents a constituency, he must represent that even if it contradicts the wishes of his party. The Doctrine of the Mandate clearly destroys this principle.

8. Our education system states that if a couple earns £40,000+ a year combined then they are perfectly capable of financing a child through university. MPs earn £45,000 a year approx depending on their position and status in the House. They are currently campaigning for a rise as they can't cover their costs.

9. The Lord Chancellor sits in all three branches of the constitution, Legislative, Executive, and Judiciary. The current Lord chancellor has stood for election twice and lost both times. However he was deemed, out of all the judges in the country, most capable of this obviously contraversial position. The fact that he was Tony Blair's first employer is obviously unconnected. Similarly unconnected is the fact that the Solicitor General used to be Blair's flatmate.

10. Only 28% of young people from poor social economic backgrounds go to university (latest figures, talking this from the front of the newspaper in front of me). Guess which is the worst university for intake of poor students? Thats right - LSE! And guess where I am...

Off the top of my head. I am sure there can be found more through digging a bit. I am sure Norompolansis would like Mr Thatcher added as one of the reasons, but I really didn't want to type out all of the reasons I hate her. I am now going out for the evening (Monday = Burger at local Pub night) but when I get back I shall expect a large list of reasons from other people. I'm counting on you! May the hatred be with you!
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 01-28-2002, 02:45 PM   #2
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

The brittish royal family is as inbred as chipmunks in a zoo..
*Aii saaayy*

j/k [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Sir ReGiN ]

Old 01-28-2002, 02:57 PM   #3
Sigmar
Unicorn

quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:
The brittish royal family is as inbred as chipmunks in a zoo..
*Aii saaayy*

j/k [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I do agree with you, I really dont see why England needs a monarchy anymore, all the queen does now(in my opinion) is warm a seat in Buckingham palace and spend lots more unearned money, she does do some charity work but still the amount of money she recieves is ridicules. Then again football players and fashion models spring to mind (SO much money being wasted). BTW Regin do you happen to be a fan of Terry Pratchet, your sig mentions foul old Ron and your name reminds me of a character I met in one of the Discworld games.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:11 PM   #4
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:

I do agree with you, I really dont see why England needs a monarchy anymore, all the queen does now(in my opinion) is warm a seat in Buckingham palace and spend lots more unearned money, she does do some charity work but still the amount of money she recieves is ridicules. Then again football players and fashion models spring to mind (SO much money being wasted). BTW Regin do you happen to be a fan of Terry Pratchet, your sig mentions foul old Ron and your name reminds me of a character I met in one of the Discworld games.

My oh my, you're the FIRST person the understand my name, bravo [img]smile.gif[/img]
And yes, I am a great fan of Terry Pratchett, that man's an absolute genius if you ask me
And as for the monarchy, it's the same here in Sweden..
All the monarchy does, is cut ribbons, yawn at the Nobel Awards and getting on the placards..
Prety pathetic if you ask me, and they only waste money..
As do athletes, like you say
Peter Forsberg makes 100 000 dollars a month...
100 000 dollars a month..
I make 1000..
And meanwhile, the hospitals aren't functioning properly because lack of funding, the schools can't teach properly because of lack of funding and it's getting so expensive to have your own apartement that most people don't leave home until 26..
Maybe people should've adapted more of Marx's economic theories, aye

Oh and isn't their some sort of celebration in Britain right now, involvingthe queen?

Old 01-28-2002, 03:23 PM   #5
Sigmar
Unicorn

In England right now there is a lot of heated debate over the lack of funding that the NHS (national health service) receieves, why the hell should the queen and company get more ivory back scratchers while people are suffering and some are even forced to leave the country to seek medical help. There is NO excuse for that, I'm sure football players (as well as other athletes as you pointed out) and fashion models could afford to lose a few thousand pounds to help support the NHS as well as other things such as the education system. I wish people would look at the bigger picture sometimes. As for the celebration involving the queen I dont know anything about that.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:54 PM   #6
The Dark

If you ain't got nothing good to say, just say nothing. Ridiculous thread to start...Knob.

Old 01-28-2002, 04:03 PM   #7
DiabloRex
Elminster

UKs TLDs (top level domain names) It just makes no sense that they as the only country in the world have a domain name that more looks like its a subdomain

The english accent for attracting females, and me for not having it

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: DiabloRex ]

Old 01-28-2002, 04:07 PM   #8
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I can think of no reason to hate the UK. Sorry!
Old 01-28-2002, 04:58 PM   #9
Dramnek_Ulk

And of course the political parties in Britain are among the most right wing in Europe. Even the Liberal democrats are a bunch of pansy centre-lefts. And we still don't have proportional representation.

Old 01-28-2002, 07:41 PM   #10
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Reasons to hate england

11)It rains
12)It to damn cold in winter
13)It to damn hot in summer
14)It both to damn hot and cold not to mention damp in between.
15)It' small
16)It full of english people
17)It has crappy shopps
18)We get everything late
19)Everything cost to much
20)I live there
21)The accents are inpossible
22)Everything is bad
23)People have no understanding of how long things take
24)The phone companies suck, as do the gas
25) TESCO!!!

Well that my reasons.