Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-14-2000, 11:53 AM   #1
tiger

Has anyone managed to kill a stone Golem yet or are they just indestructable?

Old 10-14-2000, 01:31 PM   #2
TDZHON

I believe you need a blunt +3 or better weapon. If you are in the keep, there is one (+3 hammer) in the bottom left statue you can use. Use a pot of speed and have your cleric back whatever fighter is using it with healing spells.

Summoning elementals also works.

Old 10-14-2000, 02:54 PM   #3
Asphyxiate
Manshoon

It might just be me, but I seem to have a harder time with the clay golems. They all seem to detest cloudkill though, which is why I have about 4 of the spells put away for just that occasion. Golem swarms are most annoying. Wait till you get to the adamantine golem, thats re-e-eally fun. The big guys can't fit through doors though, which I find quite amusing.
Old 10-14-2000, 08:20 PM   #4
Outlaw
Welcomed New User

For the short version skip to the last sentance at the bottom. For the not so Epic battle read on!

Ya, know I ran into those Golems while in a rather incoherent state of mind extremely late at night because I am an addict now. Due to my diminished mental capacity I kept throwing my party at them wondering why I couldn't win and losing badly at that.. Not good for the ego, getting a burst of energy and deciding to actually read the dialogue at the bottom where it clearly states that most of my parties weapons were ineffective. So for a 3rd or 4th time or so I restarted the game in a last ditch effort before I gathered some much needed rest for myself...

In restarting I realized sometimes you just can't brute force everything. So I decided a new strategy (or at least to develop one) rested the party up, in doing so kagen the evil Dwarf had pissed off my cute little mage/cleric one too many times and she split back to the circus.. Now without spell support (she was my only caster) I thought I was surely up the creek with the paddle.. But relying on Old Faithful set snares.. In my opinion truly the great equalizer of all skills and spells, I grabbed yoshimo and my main character who is a bounty hunter as well and started laying traps just outside of the entrance, slept and did it again, repeated this process a few more times for good measure. (I really wanted to sleep) Once I felt comfortable that I could take down the tarasque with my meager traps I went in and grabbed the next set of items, which would trigger the huge iron Golem and his little fleshling and stone friend to attack.. They chased my poor fighter down and tried to stop him from exiting but as soon as he made it to the door the traps went off killing all of them. Where my spell caster and brutish beserkers had failed miserably my pair of not so humble thieves were there to describe every moment of how they had slain the evil Golems how all else failed.

In short when all else fails and you have time to rest without being jumped just stack tons of booby traps and lead the mobs to their doom.
Old 10-15-2000, 03:03 AM   #5
JoeyBlir

I beat the crap out them successfully with my Holy Avenger +5 and the Flail you get at the castle. They're really not even that big a deal for me, unless a lot show up at once.

The Adamantine Golem, however, was *very* difficult. First you have to draw out the lesser golems and kill them. Then you can sit there and let him stay stuck in the doorway and pelt him until he dies (which can take a while.)

Old 10-17-2000, 12:12 AM   #6
lordkymil

if you've been to the underdark you can get this really cool Rod of Smiting that kills them in a single blow...all you need to do is make sure your AC is good enough to hold them off.

Old 10-17-2000, 04:13 AM   #7
Gregor

Sanctuary works wonders in Nalia's keep Walk right in... loot the place... leave the golems to scratch their heads... sheesh.. you don't have to kill Everything

PS. you will have to let the rest of the party walk single file past the door to that room. Days later the golems are still pissed and ready to attack if you go in without sanctuary!

Old 10-17-2000, 04:45 AM   #8
tiger

Thanks for ure help!! Just bashing em to bits at the moment cause my main characters a fighter and can take a bit of a pummeling!!

Old 10-17-2000, 03:30 PM   #9
Aegis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Why miss out on all the fun with sanctuary all the Golems are good XP's and the bonus is
you get to train your crew how to fight and set a strategy in fighting use them at what they are best at!!

Aegis
Old 10-17-2000, 07:27 PM   #10
gunner

use the enchanted weapon spell and make a few flails and then go and beat crap out of them one at a time.