Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2000, 12:19 AM   #1
Joukahainen

I didn't necessarily think that Mazzy sucked... Though I didn't keep her in my group. I really like Viconia for the reason that she is a Straight Cleric. I am sick of all the multiclassed characters. I think that is a waste of experience. I prefer to have single classed characters. I was a bit disappointed with Keldorn. Not that he is a bad character... I guess I just expected more. I guess I just hate his 9 Dex most of all. Got sick of listening to Cernd.. He turned out to be kind of a jerk. I guess I don't think that any of them are the worst. I suppose if I was going to remove one from the game it would probably be Anomen because without Yoshimo and Imoen I kind of need a thief. Maybe I should have just played a thief... I do like the Assassin class. Grin I suppose I just prefer the power of magic. Just something about being able to destroy so many lives with a couple of words... Muhahaha...

Old 10-30-2000, 03:11 AM   #2
lordkymil

OK everyone's been talking about the best NPCs, I was just curious as to who people thought was the most useless one. You can nominate more than one if you want.

My choice is:

Mazzy! Of all the fighters you can pick up she would have to be the worst. How good can a halfling fighter be? They could have at least multiclassed her into a thief. Her strength is like 16 or 17 or something because of the halfling racial penalty to strength. It would be for truly altrustic motives that you would waste a spot for her. Even HaerDalis is a better fighter than she is. She is literally half the (wo)man that Minsc is. When i first picked her up i thought she was waving a dagger around.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts

Old 10-30-2000, 06:30 AM   #3
Ryan
Welcomed New User

its kinda hard.. it looks like it... so you mean the freakin manual lies?! she isn't worth it?! oh well... for me maybe its...............................

one things for sure.. i don't like short people, i don't like orcs and gnomes... elves and humans are my favorite.. she kinda looks cute.. but it has to be mazzy...
Old 10-30-2000, 06:45 AM   #4
Armisael

Lay off Mazzy, she's a good character. Be patient. Give her some decent equipment and time and she's a great fighter. The NPC I hate the most is... urgh... the N-woman. Damn her to hell. Why did she bother being a thief at all? Dual class at level 4? COME ON! Why keep her around at all when Aerie's available? Or even better, Edwin?
Just for kicks, I'll put in my second-most-hated NPC: Anomen. Yes, I loathe him. Useless twerp. 10 Dexterity and 10 Wisdom, and a personality that could strip paint. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a sword twice his size, and there are so many clerics better than him that he's completely redundant.

Old 10-30-2000, 10:53 AM   #5
ArchMage1

I personally didn't find any use for Mazzy myself.

I actually like Nalia. The fact that she can use a bow makes her a valuable member of my party. Team her up with Imoen when you can, and you have a pretty descent set of mages that can actually contribute something more than magic to combat.

As for Anomen, was he accepted as a member of the Radiant Heart in your game? If he was, then he gets a Wisdom bonus and instantly becomes more valuable. At the higher levels, he is a good fighter as well. I'm guessing you had him seek revenge in your game. That does bring him down. If you are playing evil, then I would just get Viconia instead.

Old 10-30-2000, 11:14 AM   #6
lordkymil

I know i started the post on who was the worst NPC but i just had to make a comment about Viconia. If you give her the girdle of hill giant strength (or the gauntlets of ogre power before you get Crom Faeyr forged) she gets to be pretty good. Give her the Flail of the Ages, make her proficient in flail, and she can kick some serious ass. Plus she has a lot of cool spells and she levels up quickly (blade barrier, flamestrike and bolt of glory at high levels). Better than Anomen IMO. Plus she is at least 50% (or something like that) magic resistant which you will really appreciate when someone casts confusion or domination or some stupid chaos spell on your party.

Anyway seems like everyone thinks Mazzy sucks so far...

Old 10-30-2000, 01:43 PM   #7
Sir Rich

How can you guys be bashing Mazzy!?!? When she starts out she's a grand master with the short bow!!!! Give her some arrows of piercing and a +2 Short bow, and she becomes a machine gun!!!!

Personally, I found Jan Jansen to be totally useless. He hardly hits anything with his crossbow, and his spell casting ability is easily suprassed by guys like Edwin and even Nalia. I didn't feel like investing any time in Jan either, why waste time building up a mage when I have other mages who are more worthy?

Old 10-30-2000, 08:48 PM   #8
UnForGiven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

the following npcs suck:
Imoen: should have never given her mage skills, should have been a straight out thief.
Haer'dalas: Useless Bard, Bards suck
Cernd: HA, Jahera whoops his ass!
Anomen: crap stats and the pretty boy just pisses me off.
Mazzy: This short ugly hoe has crap stats and looks like shes been hit by a train.
Imoen: oops, already said her.
Nalia: no where near as good at thieving as Jan.
Yoshimo: Not good enuf at picking locks, pockets.

well thats my oppinion, as critical as it may be.
Old 10-30-2000, 09:11 PM   #9
Armisael

I tried both ways with Anomen. I let him go and slaughter everyone in the merchant's house. Needless to say, he failed his test. After that, he attacked Aerie for no good reason, and Minsc sent various parts of him flying in all directions shortly afterwards. Then I let him pass his test, and he became so unbearably vain that I booted him out anyway, opting for Viconia instead. If I want a fighter, I'll take someone who can see past his or her nose. If I want a cleric, I'll take Viconia. Anomen is a lost cause.

Old 10-30-2000, 09:34 PM   #10
Delah

About that last post i got to agree with you, imoen shoulda stayed a thief or at least been multi-classed instead of dual-classed.

But yo whats wrong with Haer'Dalis?! I mean that guy is swift! Hes with my group five minutes an he's already puttin the moves on Aerie. his mum did it with a fiend and the players mum did it with Bhaal......If theres anybody that you can have a heart-to-heart with about how daddy cheated on mom.....not once, not twice but yes a couple of thousand times, its got to be Haer'Dalis.

Mazzy's good but she shoulda been......a bit taller. Her image just does not look like a halfling. Makes it hard to take her serious...I mean the pic is of a dusky exotic babe but shes a halfling...And halflings are short, fat and have hairy feet...no wonder theres no romance with her.

The only NPC's that suck to me are Anomen-come on a whinging rich kid does not make a good character- and Nalia. Nalia actually made me feel bad about being good. If I had been evil i would have polymorphed the ho

Ps why the F@#k didn't they bring Xzar in as an npc. He was the evil version of minsc.
"I'v seen Dragons with feet like rabits, tis true i swear!"