Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 10-12-2003, 06:24 AM   #1
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Just a small question: When Freyedies mentions the living stone or the living rock, he makes them sound like monsters.

1) Has anyone encountered one of these living rocks?

2) What do you think they would look like ( I think they'd be similar to Earth Elementals...)

3) Could the living rock he refers to be those little slime creatures? I'm not sure, but I think that one time I ran into a bunch of them, and they were called rock jellies (or some such...)???

Thanks in advance,

Moiraine Sedai
Old 10-12-2003, 11:17 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

We've pondered this question before on the board without anything conclusive being decided. It could be that the "Living Stone" was a game element that got dropped in the rush to market. You'll never encounter any monster that is obviously this "Living Stone". Some folks thought it was the hell hounds in the area where you find the dragon ore which is fairly plausable, certainly more so than the slimes which are more common but there is no monster which really matches what you expect to find.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:58 AM   #3
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Several posts have dealt with that subject, and no one has yet been able to find "the living stone". I side with Wyvern on this one: Either the fire hounds or something which was eventually omitted from the game.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:06 PM   #4
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I too encountered these petrified protoplasmic horrors referred to as "Rock Jellies" in the Abandoned Mines, but I didn't immediately associate them with Freyedies creepy stories of the "Living Rock". As soon as he mentioned that phrase, I had dire visions of Iron Golems or indeed Moiraine, an elemental of some kind. I tend to lean more towards the rock jellies than the lava pups as an association due to their literal 'rockness'. I could also very easily imagine the crazies encountering them whilst mining (workin' all day!) and engaging (workin's my way!) them desperately in (singing my song!) suitably crazy fashion. (all the day long!) Arggh! Enough already ye Cacophonic stout, dieeeeeeeeeeeee! Blat!

I don't think it helped the dissociation with the jellies that they actually looked like the green slimes, as if they looked more 'rockular', it would make more sense that it was what Freyedies was referring to.
But hmmmmm...an interesting little tid bit for sure!

I would have really liked to have met Brinbath's ghost or have something do with his legacy down in the mines, as I'd imagined there would be many nice possibilities to tie more plots up with Rethpian and Bilbump as well.
I've definitely had the most drama's and difficulty in those dwarfian depths so far!

Still boogred for brew,
CerebroDragon [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-12-2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:05 AM   #5
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, if it's in the mines, perhaps he was talking about sporing fungi (maybe it was just called fungi, it's been a while). I remember those things being everywhere in the mines, and I remember them being short little things, but I don't remember if they possibly looked like rocks. Could that be it?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:38 AM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

You mean the fuming fungi or the creeping spores. I do not believe they are rocks - they are fungi. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 11:47 AM   #7
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by bsftcs:
You mean the fuming fungi or the creeping spores. I do not believe they are rocks - they are fungi. [img]smile.gif[/img]
yes, I know that. I just meant that they might have kinda looked like rocks when you see them at a distance. It will be a while before I see them again now that my old saves are gone, but I can live with that. They weren't exactly my favorite creatures! [img]smile.gif[/img]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:14 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
They weren't exactly my favorite creatures! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'm with you there. Fry 'em from a distance, and I'm happy...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:32 AM   #9
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
I'm with you there. Fry 'em from a distance, and I'm happy...
Ah, but Bungleau, some fungi are poisonous even when fried - also when fried from a distance. Did your mushroom hunting instructor not teach you that?

[ 10-14-2003, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 10-14-2003, 05:19 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

But I'm not fryin' 'em to eat... just to fry...

Reminds me of a buddy who used to be (and probably still is) a trapper. Whenever he'd catch a skunk in one of his traps, he follwed the same process: stand half a mile off, put a bullet in it, and come back two days later.

BTW, you may never guess (unless you've read this before) which industry has a real need for skunk scent glands... a spider cider at the Boogre Bar for the first person with the correct answer [img]graemlins/drinkup.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote