Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 07-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Shadowrun Returns coming out the 25!

Hi guys!

I don't know if you guys have been following the game or not. I backed it when it was on kickstarter and I'm really looking forward to it. Well it's coming out tomorrow!

It's on steam right now as a preorder. I don't know if you guys are familiar with the Shadowrun universe. It's a pen and paper SF world that's really great. It's an alternate reality where elves, orcs and other fantasy creatures have resurfaced. You could call it a fantasy/cyberpunk universe. With cyborgs, hackers and mages, dragons and mega corporations. It's really a blast to play in.

Plus the game comes with the editor and steam workshop so we can create our own adventures. I hope I'll have the time to write one!

Anyway check it out! Here's the launch trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFYsQ0M2Jrg

What do you guys think? It seem like a turn based, party rpg kind of like Baldur's Gate. It should be fun.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Shadowrun Returns coming out the 25!

Here's an interesting review of the game.

It's coming out in less than 3 hours. I can't wait!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Re: Shadowrun Returns coming out the 25!

A Video review by Total Biscuit (lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-b-ggUSvo4

Only downside is the forced checkpoint save system - the game decides when to save, you have no control and can not save any time or place you want

not sure if the DRM issues on DLC are still a problem or not

otherwise it looks pretty good, but it only comes out now thru steam (no hard copy available afaik)

I will wait for Cyberpunk 2077 from cdprojekt

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 07-25-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Wrong link. But that Dark game sounds interesting.

The save system sure is anoying me too. I am hoping that with the editor we will be able to make save points at least. Places you can go to trigger an autosave when you want.

Yeah the game is on steam. I think they want to get in on gog at some point too. I'm not sure. I don't think they have the budget for retail stores.

I'll let you know how the game is in an hour. Oh and I'm definitely looking forward to Cyberpun 2077. But they're not the same kind of game. Shadowrun Returns is going for old school isometric rpg goodness. Cyberpunk is more modern. I want both.

Edit: Here is the link you were talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-b-ggUSvo4

Last edited by Luvian; 07-25-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
Wrong link.
Fixed the link ... not sure how that dark game link got there .... lol

Not sure about GoG either as there were issues around the DRM and licensing which might have forced it to steam.
I suspect that the hard copy versions were a backer option only. which totally kills the notion of retail. No hard copy for pre-orders at all (just checked).

I debated about backing SRR and decided to let it pass only because of cash issues (too many games backed, too little cash ....). The lack of hard copy option after KS made this a non-starter for me. But it does look good.

True enough - Cyberpunk isn't exactly the same kind of game.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 07-25-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah I went for the boxed version in kickstarter. But it's more or a prop than a real boxed version.

You do get a box and fun stuff in it but the game is on a usb key (although a nice looking one). They don't have the budget for a real run of boxed copies. Maybe later if they turn a profit. It's really just a gift to backers willing to pay for it. Like the t-shirts. Bling to get backed.

Well it's downloading now. I'll be in soon!

Edit: I'm in! The steam workshop already has cool stuff like resources for random encounters and stuff like that. I'm definitely looking forward to the modding community on this.

Last edited by Luvian; 07-25-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Shadowrun Returns coming out the 25!

I will blow the dust off my Steam profile--I may have forgotten the password since set it up for FONV--and look into it. I saw a video clip the other day and it piqued my interest.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
Yeah I went for the boxed version in kickstarter. But it's more or a prop than a real boxed version.

You do get a box and fun stuff in it but the game is on a usb key (although a nice looking one). They don't have the budget for a real run of boxed copies. Maybe later if they turn a profit. It's really just a gift to backers willing to pay for it. Like the t-shirts. Bling to get backed.

Well it's downloading now. I'll be in soon!

Edit: I'm in! The steam workshop already has cool stuff like resources for random encounters and stuff like that. I'm definitely looking forward to the modding community on this.
Let us know what you estimate for total game play time. I think total biscuit suggested 10-15 hours and I've seen one other report that came in at 16.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'm at 12 hours or so and I'm not done yet, but the end seem to be in sight.

At 20$ it's definitely worth it. Especially for the user made modules and all. I'll let know more about the official module when I'm done with it.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The campaign is really around 16 hours. It was a fun playthrough but linear all the way. It's more of an interactive story than anything. Still I'm looking forward to the official Berlin campaign that is coming out next.

I checked out the two fan modules that are on the steam workshop. One is short but it was pretty fun. I hope the author add on it. The second one seem big it it is really overwhelming because you are really let to yourself and there seem to be lots of areas to explore and people to talk to.

There's a conversion of the snes Shadowrun game but it's still in alpha so I'm holding up on it.

Edit: You can transfer your character between modules if the module allow it. So you can keep playing the same character. That is interesting.