Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2006, 05:22 AM   #11
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

It's a decent board but I'd seriously go for PCIx rather than AGP if you don't mind spending a bit more money.
I went for the Asus A8N-SLI Premium myself and I have to say it's pretty damn good. Not sure if you wish to overclock the board but if you do, it's overclock capabilities are pretty good also. Not the best I've come across but then again I'm not a huge overclocking fan.

Considering you're going for the 939 chipset, I went for the x2 4400. The 4800 is also available (and the fastest) but it's nearly twice the price for very little difference, therefore I let it slip.

Not sure how much you want to spend on the video cards but I'm running dual Asus 7900gt's and they really pack a punch. One of those would also be sufficient but that will depend on how high your res will be and how far you want to push your in-game graphics. I ordered a Dell 24" LCD which will run native 1920x1200 so even though the cards are 2 weeks old, I've ordered two asus 7900gtx's which should run it fine (hopefully). These kinda hurt the pocket though so think long and hard as to whether you really need to spend that much and if you really need them.

I've never really pushed one of the 7900gt's but two of them running at 1600x1200 on Oblivion, all options set to full and HDR on, the graphics fly. Still I'm not sure on your budget so...........okay just scrolled back up and saw you want to keep it relatively cheap. The only thing I can say is don't go cheap on mobo, cpu or ram. Although you can go for a smaller CPU, you'll thank yourself in the long run if you spend a bit more for a quality mobo and ram!

If you really want to go AGP a 6800GT or 7800GS would be a great card. Sorry for the ATI fans but I've stayed with nvidia and although the latest ATI card is faster, I've decided to stick with Nvidia.

If you need any help building the rig be sure to ask! We all had to start somewhere and there's nothing better than doing it all yourself and firing it up for the first time! (considering all goes good. I've smelled PCB burning before and believe me it's not something you forget in a hurry...hehe)

And in case you're wondering, here's my rig. Pics are a couple of weeks old and I'm still adding before I clean up the mess in there but I can't be bothered taking any more pictures until it's all finished.

Specs:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon64X2 4400
4GB Kingston DDR400 Running at Dual Channel (ran out of OCZ which I originally wanted)
2x Asus 7900GT
2x Seagate 8MB 300GB SATA HDD
1x Seagate 8MB 200GB SATA HDD
1x Seagate 8MB 160GB SATA HDD
On board sound while waiting for my Creative XFI Fatality
Thermaltake 480W PSU (waiting for the release of the Thermaltake 750W PSU coming out next month)
Pioneer A08 DVD-+RW
Old Liteon CD-RW (gone)
Aerogate II (replaced with Aerocool Gatewatch)
Thermaltake Tai Chi Case (I added an additional raidator on the back)

Running it on my Dell 21" Trinitron CRT til the LCD gets here and at 1600x1200 with heavy gaming the temps reach about 32" on a good 30c day so the overclocking capabilities should be quite good considering the hardware accepts it. I haven't found a need for it so I haven't tried it yet. Idle is at about 25c.

My point for all this? I actually started out just like you a few years ago. I knew nothing about building a desktop but wished to try it all the same. I purchesed a cheap $500aus box system and started experimenting with it. One key item is that we have the internet so we have limitless source to any information. If you can be bothered reading, you'll be amazed at how much you will learn. A lot of things you may not know exist but when you hear or read about them, do some research or ask around for opinion, read reviews etc. No one taught me but the net *LOL*. I like to do things myself with no outside help which can be bad at times but by all means don't be afraid to ask any question no matter how stupid it may sound.

Have fun building your own rig mate and by all means post up progress shots and/or the final product once you're done! I don't post much but I always enjoy lurking around reading the threads. I'll keep a look out for any future posts.

Til then good luck with it all!

PS. Ilander I like your chook! Any chance I can pat it later on? hehe
Bokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:40 AM   #12
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Damn Bokken, that's an awesome system you got there

I went for the 4800 when I saw the difference it made over the 4400, whilst its not huge, I needed the best

Though I am dissapointed you spent so much money and went for the lesser GPU brand [img]tongue.gif[/img] I guess I will just have to learn you good when my 1900xtx master card comes in the next couple of weeks
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #13
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

That is a nice rig. I'm not going to be able to go for the super rig for a while yet. Gotta get some other projects off the ground first. However, getting one piece at a time, here and there, I can try to wrangle better stuff to start with. Of course, at the rate my money is not coming in, my new machine will be obsolete before I ever get it done...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:19 AM   #14
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Sorry to go off topic!

Hivetyrant seems like you've also gone far since the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro(2). If I recall correctly we were discussing the board just prior to your upgrading quite some time ago!

I don't really dislike ATI and your card certainly has the fastest GPU on the market. I just couldn't justify running two rigs any more as it was getting ridiculously expensive! I really wanted to try out SLI but to be honest I'd love to see what Crossfire has to offer. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a nice High end ATI system I can use so we'll see what happens in the long run I suppose.

As for the cards, I sure hope the GTX's make a big difference with the LCD otherwise I'll really be banging my head on the wall. I'm only going by reviews and I really can't afford to sell any more organs to buy this stuff...heh

The only thing I was concerned with was running the 4 1GB sticks of Ram. Apparently more than 2 may cause problems on a lot of systems and a full memory dump is not possible. I chanced this and I've personally haven't had any issues as of yet. If I do, 2GB will be coming off but I'm certain that issues would have come up by now!

My only issue is that Dell is slow to deliver! I'm past the second week waiting for the LCD and they saw that it should arrive on the 24th or 26th but waiting is agony! I'm sure you know what I mean waiting for your Video card. Lots of caffeine, sleepless nights and lack of productivity at work waiting for the damn courier to arrive until I found out I won't have it til next week!

Be sure to let me know how the card runs (like you really have to *L*)
Old 04-19-2006, 06:29 AM   #15
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
That is a nice rig. I'm not going to be able to go for the super rig for a while yet. Gotta get some other projects off the ground first. However, getting one piece at a time, here and there, I can try to wrangle better stuff to start with. Of course, at the rate my money is not coming in, my new machine will be obsolete before I ever get it done...
That's quite alright! You don't need to have the best stuff and outdated doesn't make it bad. I was running a 1.2Ghz AMD Duron on an M810 motherboard and 32mb on board graphics when my mates were running high end P4 or AMD systems with the good old Geforce Ti4600 which was a beast back then. You should have seen me try and play Unreal Tournament 2003 back then! The main thing is that you are happy with your rig and get some good knowledge out of building it yourself. I could sit here and tell you how easy it all really is but you'll soon figure that out yourself.

Edit: Damn double post! I never really post and now I'm spamming. Doesn't get much better than that...heh

[ 04-19-2006, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: Bokken ]
Old 04-19-2006, 07:02 AM   #16
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I don't think you will have any trouble witht he monitor as I have one myself and can run Oblivion maxed (with the Oblivion ATI drivers so that HDR and AA is possible) though it sometimes does drop around the 25fps level durin heavy combat

And boy, I know what you mean about expensive!
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote